Jump to content

Australia dumps troubled European-designed Taipan helicopters


Recommended Posts

The Australian Defence Force will ditch its entire fleet of troubled European-designed Taipan helicopters a decade earlier than scheduled, replacing them with new Black Hawks and Seahawks imported from the United States. 

 

Read more here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

At 46% availability, these things have to be the Leyland P76 of military rotorcraft! Imagine the situation if we had to fight in Vietnam with these things, instead of UH-1's! The losses, in terms of life, firstly, and financial losses secondly, would have been horrendous. 

 

This is one time where the Govt has made a satisfactory military purchase decision.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In this day and age, how hard can it be to repair the problems?   I bet if they were auctioned off to private enterprise they would find a way. But it’s far easier for Govt to just bin them and spend a few more billions on a replacement.

  • Agree 1
  • More 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jackc - The problems with the Taipan were more far-reaching than any private enterprise operation would be able to fix. I mean, how do you fix Taipan cargo doors that are too small? That is simply a massive basic design error, that shows up the inability of the Taipan designers to even get the important priorities sorted. These things are obviously Citroen cars close cousin.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, onetrack said:

Jackc - The problems with the Taipan were more far-reaching than any private enterprise operation would be able to fix. I mean, how do you fix Taipan cargo doors that are too small? That is simply a massive basic design error, that shows up the inability of the Taipan designers to even get the important priorities sorted. These things are obviously Citroen cars close cousin.

 It may be a design fault , but isn’t the responsibility on the Aussie Government to research and acquire a machine that’s fit for purpose in the first place . The Australian Government has a poor record when it comes to making decisions regarding rotary winged machines , just look at the Tiger and who can forget the Kaman Sea Sprite fiasco .

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Doors of size “x” when you need “x+” is not a design fault.  It’s a procurement failure on the part of the Australian military and/or govt. 

 

if the manufacturer said they could/would redesign to “x+” and they didn’t then that’s also a procurement contracting failure - we failed to make sure it is +
 

general serviceability is always an issue for military hardware.  It’s expensive to buy.  Expensive to maintain. But has to be available.  If the airframe was unable to meet serviceability levels with specified usage AND that was in the procurement process then manufacturer might be responsible.  But if it’s not it’s on us. 
 

now if the real reason is that a slightly smaller capacity more robustly built machine that our military has decades of experience with is easier to change to and achieve the serviceability and availablity requirements then continue with them then the decision to scrap early and replace is probably the right decision

 

  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As Yampy has said the whole problem is not with the supplier, it is with the buyer, ie the Aussie government.

First the submarines, now the helicopters.

I see the latest is that one of the top defence chiefs wants to build a conventional submarine to tide us over until the nuclear powered version is available. Isn't that what we were doing with the French sub?

  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

All too many confuse two major conflicts here.

 These are firstly, advice on defence materiel is given by defence panels and secondly, the government who then makes the decisions on  what contracts are awarded.

Australian governments from both parties have ignored defence choices for many years on too many occasions because they are chasing the short term voting popularity. At times contradicting defence advice.

Our military personnel are then forced to operate the provided hardware and only speak in glowing terms about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Military of today are Snowflakes, no guts…no glory.  In my military days, IF something was no good I told them, AND had a plan to fix it. Just like Aeroprakt of recent times, was interested in an aircraft but wanted some logical and safe engineering changes and was told in no uncertain terms a big NO.  So I said forget it……

Same at Brumby  Cowra, gave them my request for a change and was told NO, walked out the door…….

Plenty of choices in this World, even for the military…….

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, tillmanr said:

All too many confuse two major conflicts here.

 These are firstly, advice on defence materiel is given by defence panels and secondly, the government who then makes the decisions on  what contracts are awarded.

Australian governments from both parties have ignored defence choices for many years on too many occasions because they are chasing the short term voting popularity. At times contradicting defence advice.

Our military personnel are then forced to operate the provided hardware and only speak in glowing terms about it.

Yes, something NQR between the two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/12/21 at 4:46 PM, jackc said:

Military of today are Snowflakes, no guts…no glory.  In my military days, IF something was no good I told them, AND had a plan to fix it. Just like Aeroprakt of recent times, was interested in an aircraft but wanted some logical and safe engineering changes and was told in no uncertain terms a big NO.  So I said forget it……

Same at Brumby  Cowra, gave them my request for a change and was told NO, walked out the door…….

Plenty of choices in this World, even for the military…….

What didn’t you like about the Aeroprakt aircraft? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...