What`s Happening???

farri

Did my final Check Ride this morning to be all signed off Ra-Aus... XC PAX NW HP R (did I miss any!!!)... took off at sunrise,touch and go a MKY before the Tower opens and the big boys taxi... over the harbor and up the coast at 1000 feet. A very nice flight.

Last post, Jun 13!...What`s wrong with you guys?...You all got the wog 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif or something, from the colder than usual winter we`ve been having and can`t get off th e ground?You don`t fire up them motors regularly! They will seize up!!!

Frank.

Hi frank

Great weather here, so the drifter is doing what it does best, having fun. 1.2 hrs today .8 hrs yesterday. looking forward to tomorrow.

We go to cairns (gordenvale) each jun. jul. Next year i will try and contact you and we can talk drifter.

tony

• 3 weeks later...
A Drifter flew in to the Shute Harbour Airshow on the weekend... It came from the Mackay region.

That was me, i came in from Lakeside Airpark YLAK, there were two of us there for the opening, one white one and my purple and yellow ( it looks better than it sounds ), the Aust Flight one stayed a few days as it was uncomfortable getting out due to the weather. I braved the turbulance and down drafts to get my little girl home again.

Now that I have my own Maxair XP503 I have started doing regualr ''dawn patrols'' with the other Drifter fanatics at Boonah, we depart at sunrise, usually 3 or 4 drifters flying alongside each other pretending we are WW1 air aces hahahaa, it really is a great experience, if anyone wants to come along on a ''Boonah Drifter Dawn Patrol'' text me on 0468653440

yeah the dawn patrols are just brilliant

missed on the one the guys did this weekend but went along for the ride last time

three of us, one above one below, then two below, then two to the left, then one behind and the other one...

where the hell is he, oh good there he is, man what a hoot

45 minutes of tooling around in s m o o t h (but cold) air, it is the most fun you can have with your pants on

definately gonna take my camera next time becoz the lil babies just about fly themselves in that molasses air

cheers for now

bp

• Like 1

Hahahaah yea you missed a good one this weekend Dave, me and Joe flew over to canungra to see if we could chase some hot air baloons over beaudesert hahaha. It was magic with the sun rising over the high-risers of the GC and the fog still sitting the valleys. We ended up doing 2.1 hours all up. Who's up for next Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did my final Check Ride this morning to be all signed off Ra-Aus... XC PAX NW HP R (did I miss any!!!)... took off at sunrise,touch and go a MKY before the Tower opens and the big boys taxi... over the harbor and up the coast at 1000 feet. A very nice flight.

Winsor68,

i did a similar flight, left home at YLAK at sparrow's fart, down the coast, over the harbour and then into Mackay for a morning shift. Afterwards ( 2pm local ) i flew out to Marian and said hello, the boys there are typical QLD'ers ( of which i call myself ), Warren and family with Steve next door, you don't find gems like that often enough. I tell you, i am missing it right now, working my arse off and the average temps are 8 - 16 deg C, and at the moment driving rain and high winds, i miss the 36 deg C and 90% humidity. If you get a chance, check out Iann Wells at Banana Pocket, hard to find but another great bloke, his misses Julie is a great sort also, they are true pioneers of the Aviation world, also YLAK is a good spot to go to, but be sure to get a good brief from Doug before trying that field, short final on the uphil strip with downwind and cross wind has a trick too it. Watch out for the high tension power lines too. So sorry i didn't get to meet you when i was there.

Pat

Thanks Pat... I have met Ian Wells and seen his new Savanah (very, very nice). And you wouldn't believe it but Doug at Lakeside is ex Mount Isan... know him from way back (he took my first wedding photos)... My plan is to take an instructor with me the first time I try Lakeside or Ian's strip just to be sure... You will be sad to know you left just too soon... our numbers up here have taken a spike... now we just need more aircraft.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Drifter “404' and the Fisher Special will be departing (hopefully) tomorrow morning for a trip down south.

Where are we going?

Don't know yet.(but we will catch up with Merc)

How long are we going for?

Don't know yet. (But I we have 3 weeks off work)

I will try to upload some photos on the way starting with this one of our planes loaded, in the hangar..234982069_Picture005(Small).jpg.ad399948bebc2c9c32616dd5365bbf7b.jpg

430128239_Picture004(Small).jpg.7e327da3807f6c393d96a4dda5d2012a.jpg

• Like 3

Hi All,Drifter “404' and the Fisher Special will be departing (hopefully) tomorrow morning for a trip down south.

Where are we going?

Don't know yet.(but we will catch up with Merc)

How long are we going for?

Don't know yet. (But I we have 3 weeks off work)

I will try to upload some photos on the way starting with this one of our planes loaded, in the hangar..[ATTACH]15021[/ATTACH][ATTACH]15022[/ATTACH]

Is that a Savannah wing I see behind the Drifter?

Yep that is a Savannah wing, the photo was taken inside the Flying Tigers den at Boonah Airfield, club president owns a beautiful Savannah.

There is also a large range of other types at/around Boonah

Hello All,I fly my wire braced around most weekends and get around 60 hrs a year up in small flights. Land at Bundy for a coffee and chat a lot of weekends and show the flag around the metal and plastic. Keep the beast in the backyard so it is easy to go for a quick blast is you get the itch.

Anyone passing Bundy is welcome to drop in for a coffee/tea, just let me know and I'll give you details.

Hi Freddy.

Thanks for the invite, I just might take you up on that. My wife's sister and her husband have a block on aidies road out from the Isis mill, and I go into Childers to visit them. next time I'm going over that way I'll let you know.

Cheers Davo.:big_grin:

Hi All.

We left Boonah just after first light (9.10am)

[ATTACH]15035[/ATTACH][ATTACH]15036[/ATTACH]

and had to stay below 4500ft as Amberley was active, Cunninghams Gap is not nice at this height. About 1hour 50 minutes later we were on the ground at Inglewood for a “tree break”

15037-dcc7fbb54e75279e8c1cb3e691182303.jpg

then onto Warialda (another two hours) for another one as I had too much to drink at Inglewood.

15038-916436a907506600679b1da21692e611.jpg

The next leg to Merc’s place near Gunnedah was just under 2hours where we set up camp for the next day or so.

As you can see from the next two photos the weather turned bad (apparently) and we might be stuck here for the next few weeks.

360689440_DSCI0048(640x480)(Mobile).jpg.7af3d45afb7ca8ec23128c78ac634085.jpg

Kiwi

1976392994_DSCI0047(640x480)(Mobile).jpg.a66ce23df1f97ae34644d07ef7807510.jpg

Have fun Kiwi and Ian, say G'day to Tony for me.

I saw you guys departing over Moogerah, shame about that 4500' limit, wish they would change it! Kiwi I forgot to say thanks RE: spats, I have a pair being made by Andy right now. I took Rocky for a fly in the Maxair today and the left wheel came off on take off (long story) = had to land on one wheel (up the hill) then slowly let the u/c leg bite the grass gently and then around we spun haha...... Not a single scratch or bend to the aircraft at all (gotta love drifters) She'll be up in the air tomorrow......

• Like 1

Help!Anyone want two drifters. They come complete with pilots. The drifters use about 15 litres per hour, the pilots about the same. Make an offer! Please!

I know where your coming from.

A few years ago a couple of Drifters wandered into a local pub up north and they each drank 15 litres of beer in an hour then drifted on.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.