Inadvertant canopy opening in Evektor Sportstar

During an evening scenic flight near Townsville, North Queensland, the canopy of an LSA registered Evektor Sportstar Plus opened spontaneously at about 1800'AGL at 100kt IAS. The sudden inrush of air blew out maps, sundries and the Kroger sunshade on the pilots side. Efforts to re-close the canopy and retain control of the aircraft were unsuccessful so an emergency (PAN call) landing was made on a conveniently located grass strip whilst the passenger held on to the canopy. Once the canopy had stabilized flight control was easy and the landing uneventful ( interesting to be approached by a dilapidated Ute with the owner demanding his $5.00 landing fee!)

The problem had been caused by a sprung steel 'safety' latch, that normally prevented the main canopy latch from disengaging, shearing off thus allowing the latch to rotate and open the canopy. The two parts of the sheared latch were found on baggage floor area after the flight.

The PIC determined the latch was functional if in position properly and therefore presented no risk of re-opening - therefore the passenger held it in position for the brief 5 minute re-location flight to the home strip which was reached without further incident.

Of particular concern to the pilot at the time was his lack of knowledge as to how the A/C would perform aerodynamically with the canopy open. It was subsequently discovered from the importer that the canopy-open configuration is stable and safe although cold and alarming! The forward airflow over the canopy equilibrates with the pressure from within the cabin area and the canopy 'sits' about 250mm open so the aircraft can be flown without any need to hold the canopy down. Prior knowledge of this fact would have made the whole incident far less intimidating!

Don't know if it was the same kind of plane, but a couple of years back at Tumut a plane was flying and the door opened in flight.

(Gull wing door) on the pilot side.

Minor injury to pilot. All maps lost.

Ripped the door clean off the plane.

This has happened to a number of RV's with tipper canopies as well. According to the various reports, the canopy `floats' but the plane remains safely flyable, provided the pilot doesn't panic. Lots of noise and loose articles lost, but just fly the plane. Don't try to re-secure the canopy in flight. The usual cause has been the canopy not properly checked and secured before takeoff, or more rarely, the latch being accidently knocked in flight.

rgmwa

There was a similar incident with a Liberty in the bankstown training area a bout two years ago. A solo student pilot had the passenger's side hatch come open in flight. He made a bee line for Camden and successfully landed on the main runway.

Good bit of pilotage from a fairly novice pilot, but it really annoyed the Top Gear people who were doing high speed circuits on the main runway at the time.

OME

• Like 1

Well I'm glad they are okay, but I feel I must thank them for going through this as now I know what would happen. I fly a SportStar Plus and have been wondering what would happen if the canopy opened, and in fact have had several discussions with people about it. But it sounds like it floated higher than we imagined, but all was okay.

Our pleasure rdarby - anytime! Rest assured that once the sphincter gripping sensations had abated she flew as beautifully as this awesome little aircraft normally does - albeit a little more noisily!Having fixed the catch I'm looking forward to getting some altitude underneath us next weekend - once I've prized my wife away from her psychotherapist! Enjoy your flying - cheers:thumb up:

Yes, apparently a 601 lost control when the canopy popped open. Only hearsay, I havn't seen a report on it. A retaining strap can be put in to hold it down should the latch let go.

In low wings a great deal of lift is generated by the shape of the canopy, in cross section being a thick cambered airfoil. The resulting negative pressure is sufficient to 'suck' the canopy up untill it reaches a point where the dynamic pressure (the airflow hitting it) balances out the negative pressure and it floats in that spot. This is why people have such a hard time getting the canopy down in these circumstances.

The other issue is the disrupted airflow over the tail section. Propellor slipstream and relative airflow can be disturbed to the point where the rudder and elevator may loose all authority, causing a pitching down which increases the speed and therefor the negative pressure zone above the canopy, forcing it to open further.

If it happens to you, fly the aeroplane and get you pax to hold it down as best he/she can and slow down, not to the stall speed, but a slow cruise speed. By reducing the airspeed you will be reducing the reaction thats holding the canopy open and may allow you to shut it, but dont struggle around in the cockpit if its not closing.

Open all the vents you can, you want the pressure inside to be as close to the pressure outside as possible. Imagine closeing a car door when no windows are down.

You should still be able to do a normal approach and landing, perhaps a few knots quicker than normal to ensure elevator and rudder effectiveness. Be wary when lowering flap, the change in attitude could help or hinder the situation.

One of our members had the canopy open during flight and the above is some of the briefing we developed in response to that incident. Check the flight manual or ask your instructor about the particular aircraft you fly.

Cheers

• Like 1

Glad to hear the story had a good outcome docjell. Brings to mind the old adage "fly the plane", people have come unstuck before now getting distracted by n open hatch and crashing a plane that was otherwise flying fine.

I've had a door come open on a C150 as I rotated and as metalman said; the increased noise gives you a hell of a fright, especially in the dark! Fortunately I had a long runway in front of me so closed the throttle and got on the anchors before investigating any further. When it did it a second time, after carefully re-closing the door, I parked and went home.

I have also flown a Tecnam Golf with the sliding canopy open and quickly lost any notions of it being an airborne convertible. The turbulence inside the cockpit wasn't pleasant and I noticed a definite change in stick feel, particularly in the flare, not dangerous but it seemed to lose some effectiveness and had some buffeting feedback.

Guest ozzie

Some may remember Merv Waggott, Merv was well known amongst the auto racing scene since the 50's. He was killed in an aircraft accident in 1982. His canopy came open on an early test flight of a homebuilt Busby Mini Mustang. There was also some evidence of a birdstrike causing the problem. The canopy latched at the front and the lock failed and the canopy took him out. I do belive that forward locking canopies were outlawed by the SAAA. How fast can you duck Dexter?

ozzie

edited to add A/C type

Forward locking canopies can be useful if you have a need to get out in a hurry with a parachute. Consider that the Airtourer's sliding canopy probably would preclude approval for flying aerobatics in the USA as they have a requirement to wear parachutes. The CT-4's canopy opens up for that reason - somewhere deep in my memory is more info on the CT-4 - perhaps some-one else knows whether it is likely to decapitate the pilot? The later Pitts S-2 series is another - normally hinged on the right but people often say that if you have a Pitts you need a spare canopy as they can depart very quickly if the latch and mechanism are not adjusted correctly - if it slides back even on the ground with a bit of slipstream it will break the hinge bolts and instantly depart - the good news is that there is plenty of history to tell us that it clears the pilot's head and airframe plus the windscreen remains to ensure a pleasant flight home.

There's been a fair number of canopies detaching over the years. Knowing the results should be part of every pilots knowledge of the planes characteristics. Side doors with forward hinge are usually OK. The main thing as merv says is not to panic, and fly the thing. The noise can be disconcerting and there may be extra drag and the control characteristics may change. Slow up but carry a slightly higher margin over stall than normal for the approach. The departing canopy if it hits the structure can produce severe and catastrophic results. So can a bird strike at speed. Most U/L canopies are not capable of withstanding a bird strike or providing any protection for the pilot. Nev

Guest turnbase

Glad to hear everyone was safe after such a scary incident.

Just to add to the frae. On a slightly different tangent I was test flying a Tecnam Sierra for evaluation for aerial photography. Yes I thought it sounded strange that a low wing could be suitable but to my surprise it handled the job. You see the aircraft is actually suitably certified to fly with the canopy open. The story goes, mid flight after attaching a small rope to the latch, the aircraft was slowed to what I remember as 65knts and then the canopy was slid back using the rope to guides it's passage. Then I was able to bank very gradually and shoot without any impeding struts at all. Brilliant aircraft for this purpose. Then when I was finished we slide the canopy back using the rope and re latched the canopy for the return journey. My 20c worth.

Interesting point Darky - I understand that Evektor did have a problem with the springs so the replacement sent and fitted is apparently a stronger version. I await events with baited breath!! Meanwhile wife still having psychotherapy!

Had a door fly open at about 20 feet on final in a C185 (meatbombers exit), scared the crap out of me but didn't change the flight characteristics , I reckon a rearward tipping canopy would be the worst case if it opened in flight, could likely hit the tail on the way past!!! They're not real common , probably for good reason

Hi Metalman,

I don't know if that is necessarily correct. It would all depend on the design of the canopy.

I think that both types have their pro's and con's.

I have a Lambada and it's canopy opens reaward but it has three attachment points and opens up and slides back.

I have had it open on the ground with 75% power on and then tried to close it.

It was easy to slide forward for about 30cm then I couldn't budge it any more.

I beleive from my enquiries there has never been reported a canopy failure on my make of aircraft and this is posibly because of the rear locking mechanism.

The canopy to open must first when lifting slide rearwards and if the rear lock is activated then it just can't move even with the two front side locks not activated.

The two side locks are subtantial over centre hook locks that lock onto a quite substantial locking mecanism (heavy steel rod) well and truly installed in the fuse.

I think that if they gave way half the cabin area would be torn out with them.

Probably the front to rear opening canopy is a glider design so you can get out with your bum pack on in the event of a mid air collision and or structural failure.

Anyway I'm not too worried about mine, but I won't be testing it.

Rick-p