Repacking a parachute(GRS)

80kts rocket powered chutes can save you as close as 180ft AGL the spring loaded ones would be much much higher the deployment time would be far greaterMark

doesn't the second chantz one use compressed air?

I wonder if anyone has ever done a proper comparison between all the BRSs? I, for one, had never heard about either spring loaded or compressed air BRSs. It would be great to get some hard data on the different chutes. Does anyone have this info?

According to Joe Chitty who does the conversion from rocket propelled to spring loaded, the spring loaded chutes take about an extra second to open. So the minimum height shouldn't be that much higher (in a Microlight at least).

Bluey.

l wouldn't use rocket launched BRS there is a chance of a misfire when it is really needed ,where as the spring loaded ones l have had converted should be fail safe you are only relying on the spring soon as the top comes off it is ready to deploy.

Yes, we had a very good long discussion. He is very knowledgable on the subject of ballistic chutes. He has extensive experience with military ballistic chutes such as the ones used on aircraft such as the late f111 bombers. He regularly repacks BRS but has had little to do with the GRS as they are much more difficult to import due to the military grade pyrotechnics they use.

He quoted around $300 for the repack and conversion to spring loaded plus shipping. Very reasonable indeed. He also stated that I don't need to be in too much of a hurry on the repack or rocket replacement as all the ones he's done have always looked as good as new when he's opened them up. The pyrotechnics are generally good for at least 10 years. From his experience the Europeans are more conservative than the Americans when it comes to service limits on their rockets. BRS life the rockets at about 12 yrs where as GRS replace every 6. Too conservative in his opinion.

Bluey

• 3 weeks later...

You can't get GRS into the country anymore from what I have surmised. There is a BRS dealer in NZ that i have spoken to that you can import them through. I did a quick search and came up with this:

Australia: BRS Aviation Australia. Bryn Lockie, Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer of BRS Aviation Australia, has been factory trained in the USA in the theory and practice of ballistic parachute operation and servicing, and is rated to carry out this work. For more information: Bryn Lockie Ph (02) 8355 7009. Email: [email protected]

Bluey.

• 2 years later...

Help please, need to replace the old rocket.....would like the springloaded or compressed air version, but don't know where to get.

A new rocket is about 1490 Australian dollars delivered .

Does anyone know how to dispose of the old rocket? (Not to keen to use the dismantle instructions).

Any help...greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rob

Help please, need to replace the old rocket.....would like the springloaded or compressed air version, but don't know where to get.A new rocket is about 1490 Australian dollars delivered .

Does anyone know how to dispose of the old rocket? (Not to keen to use the dismantle instructions).

Any help...greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rob

Rob if you installed it you should have no problem removing it. Just follow the instructions, take your time, keep the rocket tube clamped and aimed away from you, wear PPE... As soon as you have removed the activator cable it's almost as safe as handling an oversized shotgun cartridge.

I'm with SDQDI though; having paid all that money, I'd like to see if pulling the red handle actually does anything...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spring loaded BRSs sound like a great idea if it is just as effective as a rocket propelled unit. I wonder if this could be a good commercially viable option?

My conversations with BRS suggested there is little difference in effectiveness between spring and rocket as it's the chute's opening time that is the biggest delay.

They said the biggest difference is weight, the spring is heavier.

It's easy if you're a rocket scientist. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

As for older system repacks, I thought it was pretty obvious, hire mathematician to do sums, build ramp, send chute back under own power.

• 8 years later...

Thought I would update this topic on my recent experience getting a Magnum Parachute repacked and new rocket after 6 years. I bought an Aeroprakt Vixxen with the Magnum parachute option which cost $6225 at the time. I discovered there was no agent in Australia allowed to do the repack so had to post the chute back to the Head office in the Czech Republic, Stratos 07. Cost $226 Australia Post. This was done in August 2022 but had customs delays and I did not get it back for 3 months. I was not allowed to fly in that time due to weight and balance changes. Then I paid $4021 to an Australian agent for that and a new rocket. It then took another 6 months to be delivered! The main problem seemed to be that it was Dangerous Goods and was flown to Queensland then trucked to Perth. Thankfully Aero Jacks at Jandakot were able to swapped over the rocket for me with few delays for $441. 

So for nearly the original purchase price and 9 months of hassle would I bother in 6 years again. No thanks. 

It also sparks the question, why fly with such Dangerous Goods anyway?

• Like 1

My parachute is a GRS

The dangerous goods thing is pretty over the top. The rockets are anchored and you have to remove that anchor when it is installed. I imported mine directly from the factory but I piggybacked the freight with the BRS agent here. I also found out a few things about how this dangerous goods" thing is done and who does it. I found out by accident and now know who to approach directly for the dangerous good import details . These devices all come to Qld because it is who does the dangerous good import and paperwork and internal freight here in OZ.

I have to get another parachute for my RANS S-21 but its a bigger one than the 600kg and is a lot more expensive but I will be chasing the freight for it directly with my now updated knowledge of how to do it.

The 6 years repack and rocket changeout I was not going to worry about as I have done a bit of research into previous tests with older rockets and chutes and I have seen videos of rockets and chutes that are up to 15 and 20 years old and they were deployed to see if it was still viable and they all still worked.

OH&S is a rippoff in most cases it redtape crap gone mad and not sensible as usual govt bullsh*t is. This makes things overcomplicated and of course expense comes with that when realistically it doesnt ahve to be.

• Like 2
  • Informative 3

I'm not sure of the category but there are rules. In Australia this gets to be a Captains decision. Lots of these decisions are made for them overseas by management, even the fuel they carry.  However it 's done the Captain as Master of the Vessel is RESPONSIBLE and should know what goods are dangerous, and all be signed off on the Cargo manifest. Nev

Remember that Avgas (and Mogas) are also dangerous goods and carrying 100L of that sloshing around in tanks could be considered far more risky than a rocket propellant.  Yes, I’m being provocative , but everything is ‘relative’ and clearly risks can be understood and effectively managed.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

They are "managed" by having various goods  classified by people who's job it is to do so, based on facts..The fuel analogy is a furphy as it's carried in a special "place" specifically designed for it. A near empty tank is more risky than a one with slosh fuel still in it .  Nev

• Like 1

The management of the handling of dangerous goods is carried out by people who have the knowledge, training and understanding of the potential danger sources, when dangerous goods are being transported.

Yes, we encounter hundreds of "dangerous goods" in our travels every day, we even move around constantly in various means of transport, with "dangerous goods" going with us every day.

The fact that dozens of people don't die every day when "dangerous goods" explode or burst into flame, is because of the sheer amount of effort that goes into ensuring dangerous conditions don't develop around dangerous goods.

The U.N. classification of dangerous goods is a global system, refined to the nth degree and recognised and followed in every developed country. We regularly see the results of mishandling of dangerous goods in 3rd world countries.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

CASA has the responsibility here and it would reflect International Practice no doubt as we are signatory to the world wide bodies on compliance. Legally, the responsibility is placed on the SHIPPER of the consignment who could be Gaoled for breaches.. I find it crazy that the PIC perhaps would not know, because it could affect decisions of how to handle Emergencies. Etc   Nev

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The NSW SES ,

Have asked for an  " emergency placard " be fitted to All aircraft with a " ballistic Shute. 

" DO NOT PULL RED HANDLE "

I remember the response,  

Silence

Hopefully  someone has done ' something ' since .

spacesailor