How long does it take you to get to your airfield

Admin

How long does it take you to get to your airstrip?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. How long does it take you to get to your airstrip?

• None, the airstip is on my property
    • Less than 15mins - I'm in a country town
    • Less than 15mins as I live close to one
    • 15 to 30 mins
    • 30 to 45 mins
    • 45mins to 1hr
    • Over 1hr to get to the airstrip where I normally fly from

With the ever increasing amount of airstrips being closed and taken over by housing and whatnot, the travel times it takes to get to your "local" airstrip can be a real dampener on the number of hours you fly each year.

No doubt in country areas the airstrip can only be minutes away, there are some that even have one in their own backyard but for others they have to travel an hour there and an hour back just to do some fun flying circuits or so.

This poll is to ascertain what the average travelling time is to get to your airstrip.

This is a great question Ian , and I think it would be really interesting to correlate the response with aircraft ownership. I wonder if people are more prepared to fork out the cost of ownership if they think they can just pop out for a flight before brekkie or late afternoon or just go for a circuit or two knowing it won't be an all day affair.

• Like 2

I wonder if people are more prepared to fork out the cost of ownership if they think they can just pop out for a flight before brekkie or late afternoon or just go for a circuit or two knowing it won't be an all day affair.

Nope. I'd argue that ownership is even MORE attractive if (like me) you have to pay to drive an hour and a half to the airfield, and THEN have to shake the last coins out of your wallet to hire the aircraft. Ownership at least gives you the illusion that you can fly for free even if it costs an arm and a leg and half a day to get to the strip. On the other hand, having the strip next door would be a pretty good incentive too. 065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

rgmwa

It's about 30 minutes for me at the moment as I currently have BYM hangared at Coldstream, but I'm about to head off to a new job located in Shepparton and intend to buy a farm somewhere in the area big enough to keep my baby at home!

Happiness is a girl with her own airstrip

kaz:oh yeah:

• Like 4

I drive 30-45 minutes to get to the strip where my aircraft lives. It's very frustrating as I live 700 metres from an airport with no available hangar space. We continue to lobby council and the airport corporation to try to get some land to build our own hangar. bomb.gif.8dfedc171d37efc22ba0dd32e933ffc0.gif

50 minutes to Warnervale (but no A/C currently there for hire), 90 min to the Oaks, 2 hours to Cessnock, so an hour's circuits at Cessnock is a 5 hour exercise (5.5 if you include set up / check out / chat / etc). I think that's the thing that tipped me over the edge towards ownership - if I'm going to travel a long way, I want it to be when I want, not when an aircraft is available! Mind you, I don't think that it took much pushing to get me over the edge...

• Like 1

Two options, To Mudgee where the aircraft is hangered 50 mins, however I have a strip on my property but being on top of a mountain means it is not an all weather strip. So it to Mudgee we go for the bulk of the year. Mudgee strip is good as it is on the doorstep of the town and the Council is developing it. Yes they charge high landing fees but at least by being in Mudgee Aero Club it softens the blow. If you look at the landing fee and the cost of a taxi to go in and out of town it is no so bad.

Allegro 2000

It takes me about 2.5 hours to drive to the field. So about 5 hrs in the car and 2-4 hours in the plane add up to a long day. Fortunately there are places i can stay overnight if i need to. Have to say that i don't mind the drive, get to see some great country.

Im lucky enough to have one in the back yard,also have another at my Pa,s for morning cuppas with the old boy.. It was one of my earliest dreams to have a small farm I could fly from,ride on..etc....livin the dream

• Like 2

I thought that my choice (15-30 minutes) would be in the majority but no, it's the 'over one hour' group. That's sad 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif.

I feel happy for the fortunate 1/8 who have an airstrip on their own property 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif .

80knts, the results are very interesting aren't they!

How are we, as a species, ever going to get to the "Jetsons" age? Is it going to end up all rotary type aircraft with no runways, just pads?