RAAus Fails CASA Audit Again

Robert

Some times the mind gets ahead of these old fingers... that last bit should read "the mire in which we find ourselves may not be so deep"... apologies....B

Hi Bernieh, I'm not trying to be 'picky' here but when you make a mistake you can press 'edit' which is in blue just below your post so that you can make any alterations and 'save' them, this is quick and easy and avoids having to post again.

All the best,

Alan.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andys@coffs
I have been following this for saga for ages and is a great concern to me, if this called meeting goes down the road of ''no confidence'' in the board and what else they give a ''no confidence" in what I have to say be very cautious...What will CASA do when there is no one at the top of RAAUS.??????? THINK HARD..

I am having nothing to do with it as I am not going to be held responsible for the pending results and eruptions.

It is better to work through with what we have, give support to the board and help sort the mess in a civil manner not all this "blaming rot" which is happening at the moment.

I will help the board members as they are doing their best and they are volunteers.

Regards

Keith Page.

Keith

Can I suggest that instead of saying "what will they think" while wringing your hands and then assuming the worst while spreading it here, ring them and ask..as we have already done!

131 757 (CASA main switch) and ask for Lee Ungerman.....

Then get back here and tell people what was said!

How is your message any different to those you claim are wrong, yours contains assumptions and insinuations...which is what your arguing is wrong in those your calling out!

We are involved and very prepared to be held to account! Those in the group Im in are a cross section of the greater membership I own a J230 and a Trike and others in the group own aircraft as well so I and they have as much/perhaps more to loose as anyone else! In fact Im a type 1 diabetic so I dont even have the option of playing GA!!!

As to being cautious I absolutely agree! Due diligence is required by all. Check whatwe are all saying, both sides of the argument!. If there at odds only one of us can be correct. The fact that I said it and said it loud and publically doesnt mean I must be wrong, judge me by the facts! of the argunent which you should go looking for, judge me not harshly just becauase I was prepared to stand against behaviour and skills that are wrong for what we need! Check thefacts

Andy

Keith,

The purpose of the EGM is in my understanding for the membership to primarily Ask Questions. There are a long list of them and that list is growing all the time while the important info isn't being passed on to those who are wearing the results (us the flying members)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking any question respectfully and I'm confident people who ask these questions on behalf of the ill informed membership will do so very professionally.

There's no need to be scared about the meeting or the outcomes as we won't be getting a smack on the bum for trying to find out what's going on with our organisation, and a keen interest in our organisation by its membership has to be seen as positive even from casa's point of view.

Scott

Guest Andys@coffs

It was confirmed today that yesterday did indeed see some renewals for aircraft registration completed where the bit that really matters, being that your CC got charged, and that a renewal letter is sent in the mail to you, has occured.

I was unable to ascertain what a few meant, but certainly got the feeling that it was only a small (token??) amount. Still, any progress forward is good progress and hopefully we will see the rate of renewals come up to the levels of aircraft falling due for renewal.

In a seperate phone call with Dean I asked about my own 3 axis aircraft (not due for a while) to try and determine if the additional requirements that are needed in the file are significant or minor. In my case (19 Registered) I need to provide the RAA Team with a set of photo's showing:-

1) The registration on the side of the aircraft (pressumably in the context of a whole aircraft shot

2) The registration under the wing

3) A picture of the cockpit panel showing that the stickers that must fitted IAW the registration standard are indeed fitted. (You know, the one that says this is a toy made of matchsticks and may fall apart at anytime so if your stupid enough to be a passenger dont be surprised if you die.... so please doent sue us signed CASA)

My file had a completed weight and balance on it but apparently there are some that are deficient.

In any event the tech manual identifies what is needed so might be worth dragging it out having a look and if you identify any deficiencies get them dealt with before you are grounded......

Dean was as we have come to expect in general from the staff at RAAus, very helpful and clear. It took about 10-15 minutes (uninterupted) to identify the deficiencies in my file, so that sort of suggests that if it then takes another 5 minutes to punch out a form letter identifying what I needed to do to get back in the air then 3 an hour for 8hours is 24 a day assuming no other interuptions. On that basis it would seem very likely that a single person in that technical team is likely overloaded and could probably do with assistance. The file itself was all paper based sitting in a file in a filing cabinet among an army of filing cabinets.......In this day and age why we are still working with paper rather thn scanned PDF files that can be read by anyone anywhere smacks of getting benhind the times and working damned hard to stay there....but being behind in technology is not new news.......

Andy

.......In this day and age why we are still working with paper rather thn scanned PDF files that can be read by anyone anywhere smacks of getting benhind the times and working damned hard to stay there....but being behind in technology is not new news.......

Out of interest Andy, in what format are those additional documents required ?

Paper or electronic ?

one that says "this is a toy made of matchsticks and may fall apart at anytime so if your stupid enough to be a passenger dont be surprised if you die.... so please doent sue us" signed CASA)Andy

Pmsl. .... I'd love a sticker that says just that in those words :) that would sort out the potential passengers. Only real ultralight enthusiasts come aboard

When mine was registered back in May this year I took the photos required and printed them on photo paper and sent them with all my paperwork it was one of the things on the list that I MUST supply to get the aircraft registered. If I remember right I also had to send pictures of the engine installation with the top cowl off as well

I just looked at the pics I sent there is one of the seats as well showing the seat belt harness

• Like 1

Well, IMO the thought of having just one EGM is wrong and that is because I can see from these posts that there are small groups of members that have their own barrows to push and I can also see that which ever group wins and installs their policies and ideas may not necessarily be the wishes of the majority of members or mine.

I say because this is such a major issue the only way to prevent this from happening is to hold meetings in each capital city so that all the members can come and have their say , the majority rules, yes? and not just 100 or so that can afford to come or that live close enough to attend.

Of course their will be some people that would not like this to happen for various reasons only known to themselves and there will also be people that say "go and speak to your rep he will represent your views" well I don't want to, I would like to be there and speak for myself the only problem with that is is that I don't have the money or the time to travel down there.

That's my 2 bob's worth !!!

David

• Like 2

Guest Andys@coffs

David

In principle I absolutely agree with you and I would like longer term to have the ability to have these meetings published on the net with full interaction so that the concept of having to physically be there goes away........but we arent there yet and supporting such technology will require constitutional evolution so we come to a chicken or egg scenario.....

But fortuantely for us, (and through no help from RAAus) There is a soap box available for everyone who wants to take teh stand right here. What do you think is good and bad, what do you want to see changed? I know this isnt the meeting, but if those that do attend the meeting get views from the members (using whatever technology possible) then there is a much better chance that the memberships views rather than a small groups views will win the day. I have argued right from the begining that this GM whilst providing great oppoortunity does indeed allow for a small group to drive an agenda and teh best way of ensuring that doesnt happen is to have as many members possible present. What more can we do? a normal AGM held in Canberra in years gone by may have been attended by less than 20 members, (EDIT: Ive been informed by a board member that 20 is wrong its never been that high (as he recalls) and indeed in the past constitutional change has been approved with 2 normal members present!!!!!! (ALARM BELLS ALARM BELLS!!!!!!!!) the risk to us being driven in a direction we dont on mass want to go is a function of our own apathy!.... (It is , in my opinion almost criminal that 2 members of a then 10,000 member organisation can drive constitutional change!!!!!! This must never happen again!!!...BTW I dont blame the 2 that were there merely the 9,900+ that werent! including me!)

So, heres your soap box, if you were there what would you be arguing for or against, what questions would you want answered by the board? and I was hoping for much more than 2 bob worth....if arguing against me Im sure Ive spent more than 2 bobs worth of comments!!!

(EDIT 2: A member has advised that he was part of last years AGM and there were >20. So perhaps the most accurate statement is that in some past AGM's there have been only 2 and by the board members recollection average was 4...... which when compared to the member base is almost statistically irrelevant. In terms of difference it moves from a disgrace to merely appalling)

Regards

Andy

Again I ask.....

Is it possible to set up a webinar so that all interested members can hear the questions as asked at the EGM (if it happens)?

That way, members can phone their appointed proxy if something contentious and unexpected happens and they need to have an input before each vote.

It would showcase to the RAAus members just how effective an open communication process can be implemented.

The technical side would have to be planned right now in order to be able to set it up on the occassion. Any volunteers?

PeterT

• Like 1

The biggest issue, I think, is that only members can attend/view/participate etc in a meeting so maybe, I could be wrong, but maybe there would be an issue with verifying that only current financial members are at the other end of a technology solution

Guest Andys@coffs

Peter

Technically yes (but you knew that as did I)

Practically, all I can relate is what happened at teh AGM. Mid way through proceedings stopped when teh Chairman (Middo) in this case was handed a question asking "was It Ok to video the AGM" after a bit of WTFing and shoulder shrugging he said Yep and we moved along...On that basis if people present were to ask before the meeting is it Ok to video the meeting with an aim of transmitting it to interested members then possibly but there are a few hurdles still to go before I give a definitive answer.....

Andy

Again I ask.....Is it possible to set up a webinar so that all interested members can hear the questions as asked at the EGM (if it happens)?

That way, members can phone their appointed proxy if something contentious and unexpected happens and they need to have an input before each vote.

It would showcase to the RAAus members just how effective an open communication process can be implemented.

The technical side would have to be planned right now in order to be able to set it up on the occassion. Any volunteers?

PeterT

Pete

It is certainly possible, but it will have to be permitted & arranged by the RAA, not by those requesting the EGM.

I would certainly support such a facility being arranged for members.

I can forsee phones going berserk as the truth comes out on several issues and members call their proxies, but anything that will gives the greater membership true insight into what is going on and which facilitates a sound vote by the members & proxy holders (from the floor), just has to be a good thing.

Regards Geoff

Guest Andys@coffs
The biggest issue, I think, is that only members can attend/view/participate etc in a meeting so maybe, I could be wrong, but maybe there would be an issue with verifying that only current financial members are at the other end of a technology solution

Ian

I think the first attempt into this technology should be pretty much one way, that is the meeting is transmitted. It may be possible to take feedback and ask on behalf but as to voting Cant see it being possible with our constitution the way it is as present....

Still sometimes small steps are frustrating cause there small but if there in the right direction it s progress!

Andy

Just to stream 1024 * 768 my guess is that you will need about 1MB/s to avoid stuttering and other problems. Does the RA office have a SDSL link or a dedicated line? If not, I t think an ADSL modem is likely to be marginal. It might work. Anyone have real experience with this?

dodo

Guest Andys@coffs

Im of a view that while video is important(ish) Audio is where its at! And we dont need anything better than 3G to do that (where that is to stream back to a server that then does the distribution using its BIG pipes) Ive done this myself as a student using Balckboard collaborate on the end of a dodgy 3G connection it can be made to work.

If T's 4G is available and working then even better...Canberra from the times Ive been there is not fantastic for O or T when it comes to 3G...

Andy

Recreational Flying, this web site, has all the technology needed to stream video/audio live however it does have a cost to use especially on the scale you are talking about i.e. number of viewers

Guest Andys@coffs

Yeah I understand that which is why Im trying to use collaborate..... A google will show there's quite a few Not for profits that use i in this way....... As to number of viewers thats a real problem, how many do we license for, 100 1000 or 10000 I suspect somewhere between the first 2 but just dont know how...Maybe they'll have a model we can use taht will scale easily cost wise.....

Andy