Tell us about your last flight

Admin

That photo brings back memories. Back in the day, probably 1976-77, I took three colleagues on a flight YSBK - Hornsby - Mona Vale - Harbour Bridge, orbiting in front of the Opera House - Canterbury Racecourse - YSBK, in a Grumman Tiger. Unbelievable trip.

angelfield_foxbat.jpg.75c60606009481376da20aa2ea92f84c.jpg

Flew the Foxbat to the Angelfield (YMRG) breakfast on Saturday, didn't make any in-flight pictures but the it was quite an interesting trip. There were a few Photographers on the field, so if anyone managed to snap a good landing/departure pic of the yellow beast please let me know.

The weather forecast in on the night before was looking a bit average but I figured this would be a good occasion to practice my marginal weather skills: No get-there-itis, no worried passenger(s), lots of endurance, familiar terrain with airports available for plan B.

Departing Sunshine Coast airport at around 0730 I decided not to fly the direct route over the range as there was a fair bit of low-ish cloud around and I like to stay nice and high over the hard bits.

Uneventful flight, couldn't see the airstrip at first but an incoming C182 showed me the way and I managed to end up perfectly located for a left downwind join with a nice smooth landing straight into a 15kn breeze finish it off, the Foxbat makes it look so easy.

After enjoying the barbie brekkie in Murgon the local weather was still quite good (if a bit windy) with broken cloud at 3500, the forecast for YBSU was not so good with possible showers. To stay clear of the range I flew the same route back via Kilkivan (KKV) and Gympie. Gradually descending to around 2500 between Kilkivan and Gympie to maintain clearance from the clouds I found that there was a big shower between me and home; it was looking pretty gloomy ahead but there was a lighter area towards the coast so I considered going further east and approaching via Noosa heads when I realized I had a perfectly good runway (YGYM) a couple of miles to my right... "In case of doubt there is no doubt" as we say at sea so I made the circuit call and put it down and had a cup of tea at Sunshine Coast Flight Training (thanks Tim!) and waited for the shower to pass. Half an hour later it all looked a lot better and with another 25 minutes I was back at the aeroclub at YBSU.

All in all a successful flight, a reminder on how important it is to do proper preparation on the ground and have a plan B and C ready before taking off.

• Like 1

Todays plan was to fly from Caboolture to Dunwich for the Straddie Breaky flyin. This was my 3rd attempt at this, the first one was rained out, the second one was fog.

Woke up at my normal 4am and checked the weather. 30 knot winds, ok so I thought to stay in bed. But hang on if the winds are 30 knots, why can't I hear anything.

Got up early and there was not a breeze blowing at home. So I drove the hour to the airfield, preflighted the plane and was ready to take off at about 0700.

The forecast was still for 30 knot winds but there was really not a breath of wind at the airfield. The sock was straight down.

So we took off and headed for Moreton Island. There was quite a deal of turbulence going between 1000 ft and 2500 ft. That started the alarm bells. At 3500 ft we headed across Moreton bay from the southern tip of Bribie. On checking my ground speed I noticed it was 48 knots. This was with an indicated airspeed of 85 knots. The alarm bells were well and truly ringing by now. I reassessed my decision 10 times by the time that I reached Moreton Island.

Everything was smooth and comfortable but my alarm bell was ringing, the trouble with that bugga is it does not have an off switch.

Listening in to traffic it appeared that there were several other aircraft doing what we were doing with not sign of alarm in any of the voices. At Tangalooma I decided that I would tune in to Brisbane ATIS. The call was 8 knots winds on the ground but 35 knots at 1000 feet. Going back to last nights homework I remembered the warning about proximity of trees and wind shear at Dunwich in high winds. At this point I decided that I did not want to be doing a circuit at a new airfield with 35 knot winds at circuit height. In fact I decided that I wanted to get on the ground before those winds hit Caboolture. So I turned around. Caboolture at 125 knots Ground speed put us back on the ground in about 15 minutes. A little bit of turbulence going through 2000ft but I must say it really was one of those days when my mate and I were having Breakfast at Coffee Club Morayfield, with the wind building up where I really did think to myself "I am happier here wondering what it is like at Dunwich, than I would be at Dunwich wondering what it might be like at Caboolture."

Trust the gut people. Many people may have enjoyed breakkie at Dunwich today but I had a great bacon and eggs at Morayfield. Tomorrow if the weather is good I may go flying.

010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

• Like 7

It's that sort of decision and story that makes things safer than an orange vest...

I looked out the window, thought about driving up to Rangiora to see the airfield and chat to whomever may be there about training at their field, but saw low dull overcast and figured anyone with sense would be staying home. So I did too.

• Like 1

A bunch of us from GVAC flew to Swan Hill today to go to the Qambatook Cup meeting.

Beautiful day to be flying and the race track looked lovely. I think most of my picks are still running somewhere!

Swan Hill is a great airport with the choice of 3 runways and lots of grass. Wind was 050/12 at Shepp when I returned so landed on 09 which is very short (423m).

How lucky are we who can challenge the sky gods?

Kaz

A number of our Lilydale Flying Club members flew to Echuca for lunch today. Wow, had to check weight and balance after a wonderful meal like that. ;-)

Isn't it always the way? We had 20+ kt headwind on the way up and only 8 kt tailwind on the way home.

• Haha 1

A number of our Lilydale Flying Club members flew to Echuca for lunch today. Wow, had to check weight and balance after a wonderful meal like that. ;-)Isn't it always the way? We had 20+ kt headwind on the way up and only 8 kt tailwind on the way home.

Hey Kman

You should have been at YSHT for lunch on Saturday if you like a good meal!

I was cook and I did a main of roast pork with crackling and apple sauce, and corn beef with English mustard. I did roast potatoes and sweet potatoes, plus beans, peas and carrots. Desert was banana custard with cream and ice cream.

We do lunch every Saturday at 12:30 and breakfast every Sunday at 08:30.

If anyone wants to stay, we have a licensed bar open in the evenings, a caravan park across the road with cabins, and a motel at the norther end of the airport.

Kaz

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

OK, you win. I give in, there's no need to twist my arm. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gifSaturday actually suits me better than Sunday so I will see if I can rally the troops.

That would be great. Give me a heads up if there is a large group so we can be sure to have sufficient to cater for them.

Cheers

Kaz

Guest Maj Millard

Up late yesterday in high gusty winds, two approaches into Starke with very rapid 1000' minute climb indications on the way out into the high wind...love that big wing and an empty aeroplane. Then a pass over Donnington Airpark but no activity there either. Then over to the rapidly drying up Ross dam for a bit of 500' cruising with one notch of flap looking at the black swans and red/ grey roos looking for a feed...not much around anymore with the very dry conditions. Then 5-10 minutes of lazy eights overhead Montpelier just enjoying the view with a landing on 36.... forget the wheeler in this wind, a nice safe three pointer will do !......will go out today to wash and pack the LW for the Shute Harbour Air Show next weekend....may have to go for a quick drying run after. Only about 12 hours now until she ticks over 1000 Hrs on airframe and engine.

Up late yesterday in high gusty winds, two approaches into Starke with very rapid 1000' minute climb indications on the way out into the high wind...love that big wing and an empty aeroplane. Then a pass over Donnington Airpark but no activity there either. Then over to the rapidly drying up Ross dam for a bit of 500' cruising with one notch of flap looking at the black swans and red/ grey roos looking for a feed...not much around anymore with the very dry conditions. Then 5-10 minutes of lazy eights overhead Montpelier just enjoying the view with a landing on 36.... forget the wheeler in this wind, a nice safe three pointer will do !......will go out today to wash and pack the LW for the Shute Harbour Air Show next weekend....may have to go for a quick drying run after. Only about 12 hours now until she ticks over 1000 Hrs on airframe and engine.

1 kilohour: that is quite a lot of (enjoyable, I hope) flying Maj!

Continued my training today over the beautiful Lockyer Valley doing Circuit entry and exits at Coominya QLD. I'm finding there is a downside to changing aircraft, flight schools and area, midway through training.... It is a Steep learning curve to learn and relearn under the new conditions, but I believe I'll be a better pilot for it! Hey that just means a few extra flights to get familiar, any excuse to fly I say. Still living the dream. I sit my radio exam next week.

Cheers,

Tony

Guest Maj Millard
Continued my training today over the beautiful Lockyer Valley doing Circuit entry and exits at Coominya QLD. I'm finding there is a downside to changing aircraft, flight schools and area, midway through training.... It is a Steep learning curve to learn and relearn under the new conditions, but I believe I'll be a better pilot for it! Hey that just means a few extra flights to get familiar, any excuse to fly I say. Still living the dream. I sit my radio exam next week.Cheers,

Tony

Best of luck with your flying there Tony....I ferried the Lightwing in your avatar from Ballina to Chart Rs Towers when it was new. Has it still got that butt ugly brown interior ?......the full- view doors are a winner though.

Best of luck with your flying there Tony....I ferried the Lightwing in your avatar from Ballina to Chart Rs Towers when it was new. Has it still got that butt ugly brown interior ?......the full- view doors are a winner though.

Isn't it funny you can't remember colours that well. I can only remember it as a cream sort of colour. Ballina to Charters Towers hey? That must have been a nice trip.

Guest Maj Millard
Isn't it funny you can't remember colours that well. I can only remember it as a cream sort of colour. Ballina to Charters Towers hey? That must have been a nice trip.

Yes Ballina- Chinchilla- Taroom- Emerald- Charters. Would have done it with less stops but it only had 60 Lt tanks, plus the nose wheel is 3-4 kts slower than the tailwheel Lightwing. Otherwise a good run with an overnighter in Chinchilla as I recall.

Mr & Mrs Vizsla finally got the RANS sorted out and went for a fly, just for the fun of it. We went over the day before, did a quick fly to check everything was in order, cooked tea and bedded down for the night. Several critters were banging and scratching in the hangar so he insisted I join him up in the single bed rather than on the floor with the snakes, possums and resident goanna (some guys will tell you ANYTHING). It was an early start because I had been awake for most of it. Wednesday morning was glorious, clear blue skies, light wind and the RANS was tail up and off the deck in a wink. Flew around sight seeing, photographing and looking around for about 2 hours. This is the first relaxed flight we have had for at least a year, not test flying for faults, going somewhere etc. Just thorough enjoyment. We heard a number of Jabiru calling inbound Biggenden and wondered what was on there. Flew over our farm and neighbours and took photos for them, then returned to base to find morning tea on at the Club house and two other Jabs flying in behind us. A good time was had by all, stories large and tall exchanged, over cream bun and coffee. Then off to wash the plane. Next Sunday we plan to do a short flight to Pacific Haven (weather permitting). Fantastic feeling to have one plane flying. Now to finish fixing the others.....

Sue

• Like 2

OK, you are closer but it isn't Sugarloaf. The snow is on one of Victoria's top skifields, not that there is much left. The reservoir is one of Australia's biggest and the craggy range creates an almost religious experience. Give it one more shot! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif