Tell us about your last flight

Admin

I went to Nhill yesterday morning for the airshow. Took a bit longer than planned but made it before the heavy stuff started.

A really great day with lots and lots of aircraft flying in. Acres of cars parked in the paddock, too. People everywhere.

Chris Sperou, the Mustang, Boomerang, Wirraway and Winjeel were star performers but many other pilots and aircraft types entertained us all. The Museum attracted large numbers to its display, especially their Anson which is coming along nicely. MAF was there and the ADF as well as a number of ATC cadets.

Ryan Campbell gave a great presentation on his world circumnavigation in a Cirrus at the golf club dinner on Saturday night. He is an inspiration for young pilots everywhere.

There were clearly lots of players having fun at the various hotspots in town because I could hear them from my room until the not so early hours of the morning. I think the town did a great job of putting it on and I hope the influx has been a real boost to their economy.

Lovely smooth trip back with a tailwind this morning. Had a GS of 120 knots and was wondering what the crosswind would be like at home but all good when I arrived just after a shower had gone through.

Sound and light show late this afternoon into the evening so I hope no-one left it too late to get back.

Kaz

It is a lot easier to add photos to FB, all you have to do on a iphone or Ipad is simply tick the photo and the press one button.I have plenty on there but none on here, too many hoops to jump through with resizing ect. I find it to difficult.

I use the iPad and don't have to resize anything. Just upload the file which just asks for the photo to upload. You can only select one at a time.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

IMG_0245.JPG.82d7992f30637e7d622ecfcab276ff7f.JPG

My last flight Sunday 11th October 2015 consisted of 2.4 hrs of sheer flying pleasure.

Initially a little sortie local around the Sale/Stratford area then departed to the coast via Yarram, followed the magnificent 90 mile beach from Port Albert right through to Lakes Entrance then came back inland via the beautiful Gippsland Lakes system.

Went on my own and loved every lasting minute of my flight, all in all about 12.7hrs this trip home

Top photo, flying direct between Sale and Yarram at 4,500ft

Middle photo, the beautiful Paynesville/Raymond island area on the Gippsland lakes system while tracking the coast at 1,500ft

Bottom photo, The beautiful colours of the water approaching Lakes Entrance at 1,500ft

IMG_0243.JPG.350288508eb0914215b75e9f747393ae.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG.783b394c286aa7949914705f496f7ff9.JPG

• Like 10

We're expecting around 25 C today so got airborne early . Days like this remind me of why we tolerate the cold Southern winters . Another pic of 'my and Alf's country ' .... Grazing land with Gippsland lakes then a roll cloud covering Bass Strait . Bob

image.jpg.3675cac0ca5a160617c9fb18263615bf.jpg

• Like 8

Marian (West of Mackay Queensland) a local flight that was my first in the newly completed and signed off Nynja. 5 to 10 knots from the easterly direction. Plane was just right, trimmed for level straight flight, visted the closeby sights and landed 09. Looking forward to next flights and seeing 20 hours on the a/f hobbs; (only has 5 landings, 2.3 hours on airframe and 3.5 on engine hobbs) as then I can go further afield.

Will post some local area images when I can get some on a future flight.

Cheers

Mike

1500601847_Nynjainflight.JPG.ac52daece6823691841b4111a41f4afa.JPG

• Like 6

3.3 hours today. Wheels up at 0600. A quick lap of the glasshouse mountains then out through the Brisbane Valley via Kilcoy to overfly Gatton then skirted the Amberly Restricted Area to land a Boonah for a stretch and wander around. Then over Heck Field and Dunwich to cape Moreton and back across to Caboolture. 3.3 hours and 50 litres of fuel.

Tomorrow is my 5th attempt to make it to the Straddie flyin breaky. It has never quite worked out before but tomorrows forecast looks good.

IMG_1495.jpg.49af37f3a6a3634ccba857cfb94f8fb0.jpg

I love the photo of Mt Beerwah with the cloud beard.

IMG_1491.jpg.a0068c92fe2e3ac2a387211391b7f773.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Alf and Biggles

It is a lovely part of the world. Looks like you still have snow on the higher peaks?

I went to Bendigo yesterday for work and stayed the night at a friend's home. Flew from Bendigo to Kyabram this morning to do some maintenance on the airstrip there. Ky is an all-over grass strip just perfect for old TW aeroplanes. Was back in Shepp around lunchtime and survived a crosswind landing again :-)

Kaz

• Like 3

Another great Straddie Breakfast with some 37 planes arriving, great trip home, followed a number of planes who were at all levels up the Eastern Coast of Moreton, some reported pods of whales just out from the surf and dolphins in the shallows near Cape Moreton today. Picture perfect.

Big thanks to Pat and her crew for a job well done.

image.jpg.ccde0e3782f2f6a81d412de7c59af0c2.jpg

image.jpg.d3a88dad6308dace67963f5306d2451a.jpg

image.jpg.fe32fe7279eab0f1c0953c3de4306c45.jpg

image.jpg.56a5589cd9f9d2628c72d21296ddb992.jpg

image.jpg.5a6ec142c67d679f6b7d0a4340e0ddf0.jpg

• Like 7

Nothing too exciting.

Had my first "was all me!" takeoff (first without a crosswind, much easier!) and had lessons on slow flight and stall recovery. The wing drop was an odd experience!

Loving it!

• Like 7

I had another beautiful flight yesterday afternoon/evening.

I rang up my cousins down the road to see what they were up to and they were just taking it easy so decided to take them for a fly. I have scouted their place for landing spots before so had a rough idea where I was going to land and takeoff. So at around six o'clock I took off for the five minute flight to their place and did a 500ft scout run before lining up for a long final (I find it easier, seeing as I'm fairly low hours, when landing somewhere new to do a longer final and get set earlier). it was an interesting patch of road with a channel on one side and irrigated crops on the other with only the 12 foot of road width that was usable and then after the first hundred metres it had a 40 degree bend in it, sooo getting the wheels on in the first bit was important or the go around choice had to be made early.

The long lowish final worked perfectly and I could have stopped before the bend but I nursed it around the corner while I still had good flow over the rudder, then it was shut down and give a brief to the young boy of the family who got volunteered to go before his dad. The wind was variable and after backtracking it was full power and we were off, the tail took a bit longer to rise (yes the variability of the wind was showing itself:nod:) so we turned the corner before lifting off and we were away. The young fella had his camera clicking (okay so the digital cameras don't really 'click' but you get the idea!) from takeoff to just before landing, I took him for a twenty minute local around his friends and families places before heading back to give his dad a go. Being two up and a bit more familiar with the strip i did a shorter final turn and nailed the landing (okay honestly this landing was more akin to hammered than nailed but why let facts get in the way of a good story:wink:)

So after loading and briefing the dad we were ready again only this time I took off the other way, basically a couple of reasons for this but the main reason was it was a hot evening and with two heavyish fellas aboard taking us up to MTOW I knew climb performance wouldn't be Angelic and taking off the other way gave us longer before any obstacles which could only be seen as a good thing:yes:.

Time was now off the essence as the sun set halfway through our twenty minute lap. I love sunsets from the air and I think that time of the day would have to be my favourite:thumb up:. Anyway it was another short final turn and this time I did nail the landing pulling up in the shortest distance with the smoothest landing. Then it was a quick goodbye and I was off for the five minute flight home.

I didn't land straight away, I did an approach and was on short finals when I looked around and thought hmm plenty of light for another couple of circuits, so I put the power on, retracted the flaps and went around and did a quick lap enjoying the last bit of airtime for the day. Words can't describe it, sitting up there with no door on just perfectly peaceful but it had to finish and before too long the flaps were out and the wheels were back on the deck.

All in all a good little sortie and am already looking forward to the next one:thumb up:

• Like 9
  • Winner 1

A nice day for a trip to Orbost , actually located on the coast at Marlo , about 50 mn.from Bairnsdale .

1. Showing the Snowy River entrance to Bass Strait with the township of Marlo on the Eastern side of the Snowy . The airport is located a few km. further East.

image.jpg.98ea43d05022d1a7bfdbea36ae635ce6.jpg

2. Lining up Rwy. 07

image.jpg.947ff7b4f89a58b739b0eb006ecea12c.jpg

3. With co-pilot of 50+ years

image.jpg.0538fa47ceacd12366aeb0299a96c3d7.jpg

• Like 10

image.jpg.e9bd44b3b322202a6509e644f27862cb.jpg Jamestown Air spectacular 2015. Total distance 427 nm. Total time 6.1 hrs

Performed my CASA approved display with the tigers. After talking with the ring master concerning my speed and climb rate and being out in hold pattern the TigerMoths and I were granted a full display ... With the x wind 1 tiger opted not to land and to fly away hiwever I felt comfortable leading in no.1 to land . The nieuport did her Ussual greaser to my delight whilst the tigers were less forgiving. Was a well organised show and had a blast

image.jpg.6b8d1b958e73107654dd3e8830ebb043.jpg

image.jpg.2b52dc66d39e62f99b33438d66f67fa9.jpg

image.jpg.dc205d0ec37067f1fdde7817a8ec7902.jpg

image.jpg.db092961f690a11a5c5a9696c6f9cd3f.jpg

• Like 9

Another late arvo flight with a different cousin (mark) (yes I have a lot of cousins). We headed east and flew around the hills at wallabadah, it was surprisingly smooth. I was expecting a bump or two as there had been a slight norwester all afternoon but we didn't find even a ripple:thumb up:

A few photos from the iPhone but they don't do it justice. Both doors off for this flight:thumb up:

image.jpg.169b386373fa7618d14869531050ee61.jpg

image.jpg.711e6877e25d7466a4a32a15403c17b9.jpg

image.jpg.b224b63a227738c11c12d7419676279a.jpg

image.jpg.cba65732e7dcc591f515870d5ca635d9.jpg

• Like 5
  • Winner 1

That's something a bit different SD , and not too bad at all from the iPhone . Bet the old eyes and feet were working overtime on touchdown drive.gif.1181dd90fe7c8032bdf2550324f37d56.gif . Pic #3 looks a bit like the feedlot/abattoir I remember on the Premer road ..... Bob .

This is from the 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif on Saturday morning. Bumpiest flight to date - not sure if it had anything to do with the fact I wasn't feeling 100% on the day (been recovering from the flu). Love being a passenger though 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Sooley Dam

Woodlawn Mine

Lake George

• Like 5