Bugger - Poor Jabiru J200 on Takeoff

Guest steve-nz

Guest steve-nz

News Story and Video on:

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/failed-take-off-bid-after-emergency-landing-beach-5796094

The pilot of a small plane has made an emergency landing at Mahurangi in front of startled beachgoers.

The pilot then crashed in an attempt to take off again.

The Jabiru J200 was on its first flight, from Ardmore to Whangarei, since a new engine was installed.

The engine stopped mid air and the pilot had to glide the plane for three minutes before landing on Mahurangi Beach.

A fuel problem is believed to have caused the emergency

763456337_ScreenShot2014-01-10at4_34_58pm.png.671125703e1528e6fd64eb480ce81f61.png

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest steve-nz

Hmm....

Horne said he and his passenger transferred fuel from one wing to the other, but when they tried to take off again they contacted the water, causing the plane to "nosedive" into the sand, breaking its propeller and damaging its wing.

I would have thought that they would have tried to remove as much weight before trying to get off the beach there...

Probably right Steve; also if someone has flown their training off on bitumen, and ignored the performance and operations theory they may not be aware of the vast difference in sand, and that's assuming the fuel transfer was successful and didn't leave an air lock for just the wrong part of the flight.

Guest steve-nz

If anything, would have thought short field procedure would have come into the takeoff run, get off ground just, keep in ground effect to build up speed - looking at the end of their "strip" would have involved a rather tight left turn after takeoff to clear everything....

Wrong decision maybe, would have been better to pull wings off or chopper it out.

I guess running into the water was a better option than the hill he was going to crash in to anyway, it takes all kinds and he probably qualifies for a Darwin award nomination.

Doesn't look anywhere near long enough, would have been interesting to see if and how much room was behind him as I would have wanted every inch and my passenger out also.

Cant blame the plane for this bingle other than the engine stopped which got it on the beach in the first place.

Just my 2 bob on it.

• Agree 1

It looks to me like it pulled left the way that they all do and with the slope of the beach it would have been very difficult to hold straight and/or above the water level.

Poor decision making, so expect some safety expert/zealot to now add beach landing & take-off decision making to the HF Course.

Perhaps if he did not already, he should have adjusted that Sensenich prop while on the beach for max take-off performance too.

• Agree 1

Maybe straight after the adrenaline rush of an engine out landing isn't the time to be doing a new (short field, beach) takeoff. Also with that camera angle from the rear maybe the pilot even subconsciously was leaning to the left away from that hill??

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, it's easy enough to say we wouldn't do this or that but more often than not when we get put into situations like this we all think "we will be right" or "won't happen to me"

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1

It seems like he had a new (rebuilt) engine.

I wonder, if there was some kind of engine problem (read, failure), whether it was a good idea to attempt a take-off so soon afterwards without getting it properly checked out?

Guest Maj Millard

Crunch...some serious wing damage there for him to comtemplate later. Not a real flash performance all round really, and certainly didn't 't look like he has a lot of beach experience...............Maj....

Thats jab number 3 down and its the 11 th

Yeah seems they don't run without fuel should write to jab about that:gaah:

And I was going to say it wasn't the engines fault that they ended up in the water but I think now that ive studied it a bit more I'm sure it was the engines fault because you can clearly see it pulling the plane into the water.022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Anyway it's a bit hard to blame this one on the engine:peep wall:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

How do you know it was fuel. I read three articles on this. All said it was an engine failure, none mentioned fuel. In fairness to jab though it was likely a user caused problem given it just had an engine change, and they got it running again. But its still possibly jab engine failure. So lets call it number 2 still unless we find out otherwise

Wow, lot of beach behind him, there is absolutely no blame to be put on aircraft here, the cause of this is fairly obvious and his comment about being experienced, he is a dill and an embarrassment.

• Agree 2

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/scenic-flight-turns-into-double-disaster-video-5796302

Quote ...1:50.... "A blocked fuel valve the culprit"

And..."We don't want to make an exibition of ourselves and splat into that rock" Wrong onthe first.....Correct on the second....

Really can't believe he loaded up with all passengers.....totally foolish.

How do you know it was fuel. I read three articles on this. All said it was an engine failure, none mentioned fuel. In fairness to jab though it was likely a user caused problem given it just had an engine change, and they got it running again. But its still possibly jab engine failure. So lets call it number 2 still unless we find out otherwise

"After some running repairs on a blocked fuel valve the plane burst back into life and the makeshift runway was cleared in time to beat the incoming tide".

Quote from news article

• Like 1