Malaysian Airlines MH370

Phil like the guys above me said. And an Airliner with hundreds of people on it is different to a Jabiru but yes if it were found in Czechoslovakia or their national area somewhere then I would expect that they would handle the initial stages of the investigation. I know you Poms have a problem with the French but in this case I think they have every right.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think at the end of the day it doesn,t matter where the part is sent , long as someone does all the checks that the part matches . They still have years and million of parts to find to solve the mystery of what happened . But after all the years of searching and paper work the finding should change the tracking rules on airlines . Witch should be if the engines are running the tracking systems are on no matter what and can,t be turned off . Just like they changed the rules of two crew in cockpit at all times if that rule was in place back then we might not be searching the ocean floor now . Rules only have simple to help stop these things happing again .

Dan

They sent it to France because the territory they found it on is French. Therefore the French accident investigators (BEA) are in charge of this phase and I imagine they send all their plane bits to the same place for identification. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a Boeing rep over there in Toulouse for obvious reasons.

OK Dutch. . . . I won't argue with that,. . .It just appeared to me ( and many other aviationistas with whom I've discussed it ) that some time MAY have been saved ( this is my entire point ) if BEA had sent the component directly to the Boeing works wherever it was discovered.

Perhaps sometimes what appears logical to some, maybe doesn't to others.

I will defer to your much greater understanding of things Airline. ( no sarcasm intended BTW )

Phil

Phil like the guys above me said. And an Airliner with hundreds of people on it is different to a Jabiru but yes if it were found in Czechoslovakia or their national area somewhere then I would expect that they would handle the initial stages of the investigation. I know you Poms have a problem with the French but in this case I think they have every right.

Geoff, I agree with you,. . . . it was simply the "SAVING TIME" issue which was MY point, since everyone and his dog wanted confirmation regarding the part found as SOON as possible. As for the French Authorities,. . .I have no issue. They are very good, from what I've seen, heard, and read.

Our BBC tv news also wanted to know the answer to that question, it was also asked and discussed on local radio. . . so it seems as though it ain't just me. . . Sorry about the dodgy reference to Jabiru BTW, and I really DON'T want to hear that you've gorn missing over the sea mate ! ! ! ! ! !

• 097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif

Phil

Perhaps sometimes what appears logical to some, maybe doesn't to others.

Yeah it's not necessarily logical. Just accident investigation protocol. Their territory, their train set. ;)

The frogs would certainly heavily involve Boeing in their enquiries....there are well established protocols for that. But their investigation including salvaged wreckage would be centrally located in the motherland.

Repairs and maintenance would be unique to that part. The operators records would confirm in normal circumstances (Perhaps in this situation not reliable) There's numbers on everything. Despite that there are large numbers of bogus parts installed on airliners (as well as less regulated aircraft). Nev

How long is the Government going to waste taxpayers money looking for this jet ? They're all dead, lets move on.

Yes, but as with most things, politics comes into it.

China is our biggest customer, the China-Oz trade deal was being negotiated at the time and is ongoing, etc, etc.

How long is the Government going to waste taxpayers money looking for this jet ? They're all dead, lets move on.

Australia claims stewardship of vast amounts of the ocean around us. Matching that we have responsibility for rescueing people in our patch. Our expenditure on the search is not large compared to government spending in many questionable areas and has considerable potential benefits, not least of which: Australia is learning lots about the Indian Ocean floor. For future air safety we need to know what happened. The families deserve answers.

We spend lots on diplomacy and promoting our country as a good global citizen (although our current PM has done enormous damage to that image). This search can only help raise our profile.

• Like 1

I worked for Australian Archives (Now National Archives Australia) as a consultant on IT developments for some years. During that time, I was involved peripherally with a project sponsored by a major resources Company I am probably not at liberty to name, to transcribe some 16" wide, 14-channel analogue recording tape of seismic tests in Bass Strait to digital format. That included rebuilding the recording/playback apparatus to functional; the quid pro quo for that was that the Company involved had unique access to the records.

Suffice it to say that it was highly economically advantageous for the Company to access the recordings than to send out seismic testing ships.

We spend hundreds of millions of $$ on astronomic research, that has absolutely NO practical economic value. What do we gain from knowing that 'Engstrom 3XVI' had a solar eruption 25,000 million years ago? Our knowledge of 3/5ths of our planet's surface is abysmal.

ANY activity that increases our knowledge of our seas has to be useful, even if we can't think of the ways it might be useful immediately. It is sad that this activity has had to have a tragedy to get it to happen, but ANY cost we might bear for that activity has to be more potentially useful than sending a satellite up Uranus..

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Winner 1

That's a 'Winner' Oscar, but deserves a 'funny' also for the "Uranus" bit! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

... oh, and relevant to this thread;

What do we gain from knowing that 'Engstrom 3XVI' had a solar eruption 25,000 million years ago?

That there is no Gods.

There is some incidental benefit. A lot of bathymetry and backscatter data is being collected. This area has not been explored previously.

There is some incidental benefit. A lot of bathymetry and backscatter data is being collected. This area has not been explored previously.

I worked for Australian Archives (Now National Archives Australia) as a consultant on IT developments for some years. During that time, I was involved peripherally with a project sponsored by a major resources Company I am probably not at liberty to name, to transcribe some 16" wide, 14-channel analogue recording tape of seismic tests in Bass Strait to digital format. That included rebuilding the recording/playback apparatus to functional; the quid pro quo for that was that the Company involved had unique access to the records.Suffice it to say that it was highly economically advantageous for the Company to access the recordings than to send out seismic testing ships.

We spend hundreds of millions of $$ on astronomic research, that has absolutely NO practical economic value. What do we gain from knowing that 'Engstrom 3XVI' had a solar eruption 25,000 million years ago? Our knowledge of 3/5ths of our planet's surface is abysmal.

ANY activity that increases our knowledge of our seas has to be useful, even if we can't think of the ways it might be useful immediately. It is sad that this activity has had to have a tragedy to get it to happen, but ANY cost we might bear for that activity has to be more potentially useful than sending a satellite up Uranus..

16" wide 14 channel tape! That sounds like the 60s.

I worked for Australian Archives (Now National Archives Australia) as a consultant on IT developments for some years. During that time, I was involved peripherally with a project sponsored by a major resources Company I am probably not at liberty to name, to transcribe some 16" wide, 14-channel analogue recording tape of seismic tests in Bass Strait to digital format. That included rebuilding the recording/playback apparatus to functional; the quid pro quo for that was that the Company involved had unique access to the records.Suffice it to say that it was highly economically advantageous for the Company to access the recordings than to send out seismic testing ships.

16" wide 14 channel tape! That sounds like the 60s.

It is interesting that out of an awful tragedy, some useful information has been obtained, however unintentionally.

Perhaps as another incidental result there may now be accellerated research which might improve the longevity of automatic sonar devices fitted to flight recording equipment, enabling somewhat more time for an underwater search to have a better chance of success . . . although in the case of MH370, the task was mammoth, since there was no clear idea of where the thing had gone down. Perhaps better protected communications systems which cannot be accessed / interfered with by flight crews or persons of ill intent whilst an aircraft is in flight. Who knows.

On the space exploration thing,. . . surely mankind has benefited somewhat from incidental technology related to this ? ( OK, maybe no practical / commercial advantage from spotting long gone supernovas. . . )

It is interesting that out of an awful tragedy, some useful information has been obtained, however unintentionally.

Perhaps as another incidental result there may now be accellerated research which might improve the longevity of automatic sonar devices fitted to flight recording equipment, enabling somewhat more time for an underwater search to have a better chance of success . . . although in the case of MH370, the task was mammoth, since there was no clear idea of where the thing had gone down. Perhaps better protected communications systems which cannot be accessed / interfered with by flight crews or persons of ill intent whilst an aircraft is in flight. Who knows.

On the space exploration thing,. . . surely mankind has benefited somewhat from incidental technology related to this ? ( OK, maybe no practical / commercial advantage from spotting long gone supernovas. . . )

Well, here's just the kind of wwaste of funds ou're alluding to Oscar,. . .

Pluto was "De-planeted" quite a long time ago,. . . but a probe has finelly got there, and is still sending back pictures,. . .but they are a little bit worryin to say the least. . .

[ATTACH=full]37352[/ATTACH]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, here's just the kind of wwaste of funds ou're alluding to Oscar,. . .

Pluto was "De-planeted" quite a long time ago,. . . but a probe has finelly got there, and is still sending back pictures,. . .but they are a little bit worryin to say the least. . .

931964841_PlutoDeathstar.jpg.b087ee71f8749c3036ab1fd1362c79e6.jpg

It is interesting that out of an awful tragedy, some useful information has been obtained, however unintentionally.Perhaps as another incidental result there may now be accellerated research which might improve the longevity of automatic sonar devices fitted to flight recording equipment, enabling somewhat more time for an underwater search to have a better chance of success . . . although in the case of MH370, the task was mammoth, since there was no clear idea of where the thing had gone down. Perhaps better protected communications systems which cannot be accessed / interfered with by flight crews or persons of ill intent whilst an aircraft is in flight. Who knows.

There is usually benefit from even the worst of human endeavours. The nuclear arms race between the superpowers has saved countless lives. How?

A couple of hydrogen bomb explosions were far more destructive than expected, so testing went underground. To monitor these nuclear tests large numbers of super-sensitive seismometers were established around the world, including in Australia. What they showed amazed scientists: the earth is in constant motion, with minor creaks and trembles, as well as big earthquakes. As well as helping us find new fault lines and new plates, tiny movements now give warning of volcanic eruptions, allowing evacuations.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It is interesting that out of an awful tragedy, some useful information has been obtained, however unintentionally.Perhaps as another incidental result there may now be accellerated research which might improve the longevity of automatic sonar devices fitted to flight recording equipment, enabling somewhat more time for an underwater search to have a better chance of success . . . although in the case of MH370, the task was mammoth, since there was no clear idea of where the thing had gone down. Perhaps better protected communications systems which cannot be accessed / interfered with by flight crews or persons of ill intent whilst an aircraft is in flight. Who knows.

There is usually benefit from even the worst of human endeavours. The nuclear arms race between the superpowers has saved countless lives. How?

A couple of hydrogen bomb explosions were far more destructive than expected, so testing went underground. To monitor these nuclear tests large numbers of super-sensitive seismometers were established around the world, including in Australia. What they showed amazed scientists: the earth is in constant motion, with minor creaks and trembles, as well as big earthquakes. As well as helping us find new fault lines and new plates, tiny movements now give warning of volcanic eruptions, allowing evacuations.

• 1 year later...

and you'd say the same if your loved ones were onboard? me thinks not. besides the awesome safety record of air travel has got there due to a never ending pursuit of facts after an accident

• Agree 1

the awesome safety record of air travel has got there due to a never ending pursuit of facts after an accident

No one's questioning that, but at what cost? It can not be unlimited. Should much needed medical equipment and Staff for Australian hospitals be deferred for the sake of the continued search for this plane for example?

1500 777's flying, and only one other had an unusual cockpit fire that might be related to MH370.

I think the numbers are reasonable to move on with confidence with this one declared 'unknown'.

• Agree 3

• 2 months later...