Natfly 2014

metalman

Hello Bubbleboy

You are so very correct "Succession Planning" the number of people who do not consider that at all.

Put in simplistic terms "Train the pups before the old dogs die".. If the pups train quickly sit back and be waited upon there is no better reward for the good mentoring.

Trade stands:- Public through the gate will help with them.. because the aeroplane people know who they are. Trade stands have to help themselves as well they have to keep a fresh image.

Regards

Keith Page

• Like 1

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Rat

Looks like you have answered some of the things yourself.

Narromine aeor club was more welcoming.

Under wing camping was better at Narromine.

When they go somewhere they do not want irriating inconsiderate people to contend with.

To me those two points indicate that the flyers are welcomed and embraced in the activities.

What do flyers and aeroplane people want?

If they are given a good welcome a lot of the other short comings are overlooked.

Good example come and have a red and then the prickles are overlooked.

Another good pointer Bundaberg had all the bells and whistles and hype but no friendship only snarling volunteers. On the other hand there is Old Station with good old hospitality... Bundaberg folded and Old Station is still hitting runs.

Regards

Keith Page.

Narromine has funding for its museum upgrade, never going to be like Temora but improving

Council is more accepting of aviation and spending money on the airfield, new surfaces etc.

Closer to QLD :)

Fuel now owned by major LOCAL fuel distributor, less under influence of Shell Id say

Join it with Ausfly and workload is shared, trade exhibitors spend less so can offer more,

Not on Easter so more able to attend

SAAA are on site so access to admin and their services all year to support us and the event

Yes RAA might have to take a second row seat in decisions to others but so what, temora is a huge amount of volunteer work and shame to see these reviews being lacklustre.

• Agree 1

The nature of work is changing - both my husband and I work for companies that no longer recognise public holidays. Easter is a normal work day, we only get it if it falls on our rostered days off. The impact of this on our community is that our town can no longer muster enough people available on weekends, or weekly to field a footy team, or a volunteer fire brigade and attendance at events is down. This has impacted on us and our Fly-in attendance. In previous years we were able to go to Natfly, the only decision was if we wanted to this year. Now we can't. The stars aligned in 2010 and won't again until 2016. So that may partly explain the drop in attendance (well, two of us ......)

Husband suggests that every year is too often - perhaps every second year.

He prefers endlessly walking the flight line and exhibitors, constantly talking, looking and learning (and spending)

I prefer the seminars, but also like the walking

His pet hate is constant PA chatter drowning out the sound of iconic engines - cut the airshow banter to introductions only

Loved Narromine's close-in friendly atmosphere (have been to Temora, but not for a Natfly - so can't compare)

Move the major days to Sat/Sun leaving Fri & Mon for travel. I remember driving all day Friday to find it winding down Sat afternoon.

Loved SAAA Ausfly 2013 and planning to attend 2014. Appreciated RAAus being there too.

Sue

• Agree 3

Some great posts, people! These ideas should be influencing our leaders. I spoke to our GM at Natfly; unfortunately he never reads this forum, considering it too negative.

Perhaps we in Oz compare ourselves too often with the US. We'll never have the numbers for our own Oshkosh, but combining with SAA, or at least sharing facilities at Narromine should boost our One Day Of The Year until it's viable. Who can blame suppliers for not dragging their stock hundreds of miles to set up a tent show, when online shopping is taking over?

The social aspects are the main attractions to most of us. Workplace changes sure have affected lots of volunteer organisations, but we all adapt. That's another reason we need to encourage regional fly-ins.

• Agree 2

Old Koreelah

As you say there are some very goods posts and they generate good thinking.

The GM should have look here. I know there is a lot of negative stuff however he is a big boy why can't he, do a bit of sieving of the information.

What is here is all factual..and how people interpret what they are seeing. Everyone sees a painting differently.

Regards

Keith Page.

• Agree 3
  • Caution 1

Old KoreelahAs you say there are some very goods posts and they generate good thinking.

The GM should have look here. I know there is a lot of negative stuff however he is a big boy why can't he, do a bit of sieving of the information.

What is here is all factual..and how people interpret what they are seeing. Everyone sees a painting differently.

Regards

Keith Page.

I hope I haven't misquoted Mark, but I presume he has so much on his plate that trawling thru hundreds of posts looking for good ideas is a low priority.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

A Bi annual event??? Works for Avalon & Wanaka. "Just a thought" I did go this year spent 3 days camping. Had a ball flying there meeting people from all over Australia. The meals at the Terminus hotel were fantastic as was the atmosphere. The shuttle bus worked well. Food stalls were good. The forums were spot on came away from them with a bit more knowledge than what I started out with. Weather was perfect as was the flight home. The only thing missing was a pilot shop.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Theres already an annual event. Ausfly, join in, lower our exposure to risk. If we dont join it and play active role we will relegated to exhibitor here too

Then have travellling fly in wherever you like, much smaller scale,

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I spoke to our GM at Natfly; unfortunately he never reads this forum, considering it too negative.

Some people must be very sure of themselves to not need to hear criticism, constructive or not, maybe it would bring a little more humility to our leaders if they did take in some comment from the common rank and file.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

The nature of work is changing - both my husband and I work for companies that no longer recognise public holidays. Easter is a normal work day, we only get it if it falls on our rostered days off. The impact of this on our community is that our town can no longer muster enough people available on weekends, or weekly to field a footy team, or a volunteer fire brigade and attendance at events is down. This has impacted on us and our Fly-in attendance. In previous years we were able to go to Natfly, the only decision was if we wanted to this year. Now we can't. The stars aligned in 2010 and won't again until 2016. So that may partly explain the drop in attendance (well, two of us ......) 

He prefers endlessly walking the flight line and exhibitors, constantly talking, looking and learning (and spending)

His pet hate is constant PA chatter drowning out the sound of iconic engines - cut the airshow banter to introductions only

Loved Narromine's close-in friendly atmosphere (have been to Temora, but not for a Natfly - so can't compare)

Move the major days to Sat/Sun leaving Fri & Mon for travel. I remember driving all day Friday to find it winding down Sat afternoon.

Loved SAAA Ausfly 2013 and planning to attend 2014. Appreciated RAAus being there too.

Sue

• Informative 1

Sue has a point re. the public address system being misused.

I was there on Sunday morning so as to attend the instructors forum.

Upon walking onto the apron I was assaulted by christian religious style music.

This stopped me in my tracks.

If I had wanted to hear this type of insidious noise I would have been in a church, not on an aerodrome.

Aerodromes are for aircraft engine noise!

I was so affronted, I decided to leave.

If I hadn't, by chance, happened upon someone heading for the forum, I would have been out of there.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Sue

Yes, I think the idea of having it less frequently may do it some good. The local Army museum here was having a display every year, but they found it dying off, and difficult to keep it fresh, they have opted to try and make a bigger display every few years than try and fail at getting large crowds every year. Personally, I miss the older type of fly- in, where competitions are held, spot landings , flour bombing etc. This being my first Natfly, I have nothing to compare it to, but it wasn't too hard to see that it's not doing well.

• Like 1

Sue has a point re. the public address system being misused.I was there on Sunday morning so as to attend the instructors forum.

Upon walking onto the apron I was assaulted by christian religious style music.

This stopped me in my tracks.

If I had wanted to hear this type of insidious noise I would have been in a church, not on an aerodrome.

Aerodromes are for aircraft engine noise!

I was so affronted, I decided to leave.

If I hadn't, by chance, happened upon someone heading for the forum, I would have been out of there.

You want to be careful Nong, it could have been a message from Jesus.................

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Some people must be very sure of themselves to not need to hear criticism, constructive or not, maybe it would bring a little more humility to our leaders if they did take in some comment from the common rank and file.

Agreed, but as I said above: I hope I haven't misquoted Mark, but I presume he has so much on his plate that trawling thru hundreds of posts looking for good ideas is a low priority.

I imagine the GM takes his day job seriously. Checking forums is likely to be something for the evenings. If so, this forum would take considerable time; more than I would be prepared to spend.

Qick question - what other forums are interesting on ultralights in Australia? Pprune would be more time-consuming for less information... which forums are interesting?

dodo

• Agree 1

I imagine the GM takes his day job seriously. Checking forums is likely to be something for the evenings. If so, this forum would take considerable time; more than I would be prepared to spend.Qick question - what other forums are interesting on ultralights in Australia? Pprune would be more time-consuming for less information... which forums are interesting?

dodo

Maybe he just isn't that in to aviation!

This sure is different to where he came from, may be just a stepping stone to something better, not CASA then, but GM would look good on the resume.

Only about five threads really float on here any day, whats new 24 hours rarely runs to more than one page anymore, page and a bit when it does run over, how long could a general skim take if you were interested!

• Agree 1

..... in an attempt to improve NatFly.....

Speaking for myself, and several flying friends round about SE Qld, it was the move from Narromine to Temora that killed for us. We found the Narromine gatherings excellent, and I went 9 years in a row. Always looked forward to meeting up with old friends from elsewhere, and hearing some new BS stories. Took all weekend to share all the stories. The atmosphere at Narromine was just right, and the large turn-up was really successful and interesting, so we don't know why there was an attempt to 'improve' it. It was as good as could be already. When it moved to Temora, we quit going. Advertising for "...come and hear the Spitfire...", and "...watch the aerobatics...", made it sound more like an airshow rather than a gathering of the flock. Personally, when I hear warbirds or aerobatics I want to be elsewhere....

Move it back to Narromine and advertise it as, "NARROMINE LIKE IT USED TO BE!", and we'll be back, and I bet quite a few others would as well. (We never did call it Natfly when we spoke of it, it was always 'Narromine'.)

JG

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

JG3 What great words..

How many will have the courage to advertise Narromine MKii as "NARROMINE LIKE IT USED TO BE".

There are those who think it all must have glint and glitter and forget about just the simple """"fellowship"""".

Regards

Keith Page.

Speaking for myself, and several flying friends round about SE Qld, it was the move from Narromine to Temora that killed for us. We found the Narromine gatherings excellent, and I went 9 years in a row. Always looked forward to meeting up with old friends from elsewhere, and hearing some new BS stories. Took all weekend to share all the stories. The atmosphere at Narromine was just right, and the large turn-up was really successful and interesting, so we don't know why there was an attempt to 'improve' it. It was as good as could be already. When it moved to Temora, we quit going. Advertising for "...come and hear the Spitfire...", and "...watch the aerobatics...", made it sound more like an airshow rather than a gathering of the flock. Personally, when I hear warbirds or aerobatics I want to be elsewhere....Move it back to Narromine and advertise it as, "NARROMINE LIKE IT USED TO BE!", and we'll be back, and I bet quite a few others would as well. (We never did call it Natfly when we spoke of it, it was always 'Narromine'.)

JG

Hi JG3 & Keith ,

I don't get why moving from one central western NSW town & airport to another Central Western NSW town and airport would prevent people from meeting up with old friends and sharing new hangar flying stories with each other. Surely it's the people who attend NOT the place they attend that produces the atmosphere and conviviality and lets people have a good time. If people decide they're not going to go to then there will be no sharing of BS stories. Surely it's the people and their attitude not the hardware, glitz or bling that make a good get together.

I went to Temora not for the aerial displays, although I really enjoyed them. I didn't go to ogle the plastic fantastics on offer, though I did enjoy seeing what's on offer. I went to see what people had build/bought and brought to Temora, I went because I was interested to attend several of the forums on offer and to talk to like minded people who enjoy talking about their hobby, interest, addiction, unscratched itch that is aviation in ALL it's forms. I ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE of my three days there. Would I stay away if it goes to Narromine, Caboolture, Tyab? If I can get there, why would'nt I go ?

My $0.02 worth

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 3