Plane Crash Barossa Valley 26/6

Two people have died in a plane crash in South Australia's Barossa Valley.

The light plane crashed in Krondorf around 8am on Thursday and police say the two people on board died at the scene.

Road closures are in place at the intersection of Krondorf Road and Barossa Valley Highway.

Sad News

Keith

• Agree 3

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wing separated apparently. Tecnam based at Lyndoch according to early reports. Any history of structural issues with Tecnams? Pretty scary stuff

Nic

Not that I am aware of

Like any aircraft wings do not fall off without rhyme or reason

It usually has a great deal of human input for them to come off like over stress or lack if maintenance

Any aircraft can lose it wings if treated not how it was designed to be

Condolences to those involved

Alf

Wing separated apparently. Tecnam based at Lyndoch according to early reports. Any history of structural issues with Tecnams? Pretty scary stuff

Both wings are with the wreckage if you bother to look, what is detached are the flaps

Both wings are with the wreckage if you bother to look, what is detached are the flaps

Actually I was going off the news report, if you bothered to read....Seriously, what is with some of you people? How about you cheer up or maybe even give someone the benefit of the doubt before you hop up on your high horse and start beating your chest.

ABC news report from the scene suggested that the wing had separated close to the ground and that the aircraft hit the ground at a steep angle. That's based on an eyewitness account and from speaking to the owner of Truro Flats airpark who was on the scene, so slightly more reliable than a reporter being on the scene and seeing a wing on the ground and assuming it fell off in the air

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Guest Andys@coffs

I believe that the points that some have been making are straight off the abc report here http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-26/light-aircraft-crash-krondorf-barossa-valley/5551390 ,where if you read carefully a number of wing separation claims were made, one of which by a pilot local to the crash area who actually had recently flown the crashed aircraft.......I agree that media reports need to be carefully scrutinised....but in this case I personally give more weighting to the comments made in the story if as stated they come from a pilot who had previously flow the specific aircraft.

Andy

condolences to the family off those involvedassumptions by some as to what might have happened bloody well shut up unless you have facts neil

I'm not assuming anything. I was just passing on the report from the news, which had more information than the link online. Given that there probably won't be any real investigation, I don't see the harm in people talking about incidents like this if it helps to get some clarification on what happened. I understand that it's a sensitive subject, especially given that it is so fresh, but part of flying safe is learning from accidents in the past. Given that the media are going to speculate on it anyway, what is the harm in people with real insight and knowledge discussing it?

• Agree 4

Guest Andys@coffs

Nic, It was Rowland flats airfield wasn't it? The crash happened just slightly north of Rowland flats. As I recall Truro Flats isn't privately owned? also Rowland flats, in regards to that specific airfield is anything but flat.......to the east the ground climbs up the hill (for the runway length and increasing in angle the further east of the strip you go) and most aircraft will need to turn left or right relatively soon on take off to the east.....My experience there is that wind allowing, a take-off to the west is preferable....

And none of the above possibly relates to this exact crash...just my personal experiences at that airfield

Andy

Nic, It was Rowland flats airfield wasn't it? The crash happened just slightly north of Rowland flats. As I recall Truro Flats isn't privately owned? also Rowland flats, in regards to that specific airfield is anything but flat.......to the east the ground climbs up the hill (for the runway length and increasing in angle the further east of the strip you go) and most aircraft will need to turn left or right relatively soon on take off to the east.....My experience there is that wind allowing, a take-off to the west is preferable....And none of the above possibly relates to this exact crash...just my personal experiences at that airfield

Andy

Yes sorry you're correct it was near Rowland Flats not Truro

No harm at all Nic for two reasons, it helps with the grieving process we all do, and even if all we can do at this stage is speculate, usually the speculation will be a very useful learning tool - like the one which has already come to light about getting your forecast from NAIPS rather than other sources, because the NAIPS report has soecific aviation references, like moderate to severe turbulence.

• Agree 4

Oh now I see it. If I had bothered to look at that photo, I would have clearly seen the two wings...

In all seriousness, I'm not an engineer, so whether there is one wing or two in that photo isn't obvious to me, but if it is to you, then it would probably be more constructive to just say so.

The Internet does strange things to people sometimes. Imagine you and I were standing at the scene next to each other discussing it and talk to me like you would then.

• Agree 6

No harm at all Nic for two reasons, it helps with the grieving process we all do, and even if all we can do at this stage is speculate, usually the speculation will be a very useful learning tool - like the one which has already come to light about getting your forecast from NAIPS rather than other sources, because the NAIPS report has soecific aviation references, like moderate to severe turbulence.

There is a big difference between speculating on cause and playing the blame game. I haven't seen anyone trying to attribute blame yet, and if we can't talk about what might have caused problems, there would be precious little of interest to talk about these days.

Condolences to the families of those killed. No matter the cause it would be a terrible thing to be told.

• Agree 2