"Jaberoo" down (Mildura this time)

Guest Crezzi

Maybe a bit of tweaking , i could give a rats .if its wrong fix it .

If only it were that simple. When your charging people money to hire your aircraft, and your sending 15 year old girls solo in it, " tweaking" is not the go.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and Sue Woods was making coments and apparently said (this was secnd hand info) that the Jab in Qld that crashed recently its engine was still running so it was not the engine that failed

Misleading; Just because an engine was running doesn't mean it was running sufficiently to support flying an aircraft, just the same as if the engine wasn't running doesn't mean it was the engine's fault.

Interesting read in Jabba ChatI think J owners should have a read if your a tinkerer

http://www.jabiru.net.au/images/jaba/Contrary_to_local_rumour.docx

"You use a bore gauge. If the bore is undersize, the maintainer must have a reamer set at 7.04mm. If your maintainer doesn’t have a bore gauge and a reamer then don’t let him work on your engine".

Umm, why is the bore undersize from the factory, didn't they check it?

• Agree 1

Misleading; Just because an engine was running doesn't mean it was running sufficiently to support flying an aircraft, just the same as if the engine wasn't running doesn't mean it was the engine's fault.

"You use a bore gauge. If the bore is undersize, the maintainer must have a reamer set at 7.04mm. If your maintainer doesn’t have a bore gauge and a reamer then don’t let him work on your engine".

Umm, why is the bore undersize from the factory, didn't they check it?

The bore of the valve guide. The reamer is to remove built up deposits in the valve guide that might cause it become restrictive and sticky and restore the bore to 7.04mm.

If only it were that simple. When your charging people money to hire your aircraft, and your sending 15 year old girls solo in it, " tweaking" is not the go.

Occams Razor.

Although i get your point

Mike

well a few months ago it was reported that the ATSB were doing a "investigation" to all these engine failures happening in the aviation industry...they didn't say you know who but it was pretty much implied..so these will add fuel to the fire

Guest Andys@coffs

I thort and thawt and thought some more but all that hapnd was my brane hert! Dazza...where R U when we needs ya?

Bex stop with all the technical stuff, we don't do that here OK? I mean if we did that would be hypoc..... 2 faced wouldnt it!

Please, I'm not the worlds best speller so its really a bit of hypocrisy me asking folk to please use a spell checker before posting.......but some of the clangers here really are a bit on the painful side to read

You're having a little joke with us aren't you Bex?

Some of you may have noticed the last few days I've been having a cracker of a time, had some great news a few days ago and having a bit of fun at the moment! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Like 1

Quote " The reamer is to remove built up deposits in the valve guide that might cause it become restrictive and sticky and restore the bore to 7.04mm. " Just as an aside, have you tried to ream a valve guide to a thou and a half tolerance with an adjustable hand reamer? Anybody that tries that and gets an accurate size with a smooth finish is , in my book, a champion and an expert.....I believe Mr Stiff must have rocks in his head for advising that people attempt that action....K liners however can be made to have very tight tolerances. I had a head done recently in a very reputable machine shop and I was able to specify nine tenths of a thou valve to guide clearance....try that with a hand held adjustable reamer!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I thort and thawt and thought some more but all that hapnd was my brane hert! Dazza...where R U when we needs ya?Bex stop with all the technical stuff, we don't do that here OK? I mean if we did that would be hypoc..... 2 faced wouldnt it!

Please, I'm not the worlds best speller so its really a bit of hypocrisy me asking folk to please use a spell checker before posting.......but some of the clangers here really are a bit on the painful side to read

I am around Andy, but I decided that it was better place some members onto my ignore list, so I am missing out on a fair few posts. But it is probably better for all of us that I have done so. I think that a lot of members are over the personal conflict that I have had with individual members . This is the best out come for the all the members I think.

• Like 2

Quote " The reamer is to remove built up deposits in the valve guide that might cause it become restrictive and sticky and restore the bore to 7.04mm. " Just as an aside, have you tried to ream a valve guide to a thou and a half tolerance with an adjustable hand reamer? Anybody that tries that and gets an accurate size with a smooth finish is , in my book, a champion and an expert.....I believe Mr Stiff must have rocks in his head for advising that people attempt that action....K liners however can be made to have very tight tolerances. I had a head done recently in a very reputable machine shop and I was able to specify nine tenths of a thou valve to guide clearance....try that with a hand held adjustable reamer!

I agree. I don't think I'd try that any more. But did he suggest hand reaming or are we just assuming that's what he meant?

I am around Andy, but I decided that it was better place some members onto my ignore list, so I am missing out on a fair few posts. But it is probably better for all of us that I have done so. I think that a lot of members are over the personal conflict that I have had with individual members . This is the best out come for the all the members I think.

Den ya messed sum buteies, sum funie wons.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

He himself said on the 6 pm news it was engine failure, and most of the damage was due to his very generous decision to avoid golfers who had just walked out, and hit trees.

Why were the golfers hitting the trees?

• Haha 3
  • Winner 1

Guest Andys@coffs
A little obvious and engineered don't you think ......

Yep....could be..... but my brane still hertz....whether intentshonal or not

Here is a cynical view !!!!!!

If I were to manufacture a mechanical device and state that it had to be serviced using a special sized tool that only I had.

The responsibility of how many failures of that device could be dodged by simply saying, the failure was attributed to it not being serviced in line with my instructions ??????

• Winner 1

I think that has been tried in the past, particularly with diagnostic software and I think trade practices legislation took care of it, but I'm not surprise people are becoming cynical.

How many GA Jabs have these problem?CASAs 'cure' will be Letters on the tail for All and LAME only maintenance (RPL is the first step)

Good point. However, an equally valid question is "how many Jabs ACTUALLY have these problems?" - and what is the actual cause of them? I would like to see some real statistical data; some of the statistical questions, like "How many Jabirus are registered in Australia" and "What percentage of them are factory-built?" should be simple enough to answer - but we don't seem to be able to get answers to even such basic questions as those.

Even if we do start to get some numbers, remember the quotation " There are lies, damned lies, and statistics".

• Agree 4

Here is a cynical view !!!!!!If I were to manufacture a mechanical device and state that it had to be serviced using a special sized tool that only I had.

FFS, run a Letter J drill down a piece of rod and set your expanding reamer using that. Both items readily commercially available from decent tool shops.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2