Flying 'partners'?

NT5224

Hi folks

I'm curious to know whether many aviators' partners are inspired to also get their wings? Wives, husbands or significant others?

Can anybody offer an insight into this? I myself haven't met too many couples where both partners fly and I'm wondering whether this is impression is true of the wider community? Of course we all chuckle at references to AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome), but what's the reality..?

So are there many on here part of a couple who both fly?

Cheers

Alan

My ex wife ( wife at the time) got into flying after I mentioned it to her to learn to fly. She first got her RAA certificate. Then went on to get a PPL, we owned a Piper Archer for a while. We divorced a while later as I was working for BAe systems as a crew chief in Saudi Arabia on Tornado jets and I was away for 15 weeks and only home for 3 weeks. 15/3 wasn't a good roster for marriages.lol

Anyway my partner who I have been with for the last 12 years, doesn't fly with me much at all. She thinks it is OK, but she isn't really into flying much.

My wife of 25 years had her first RAA lesson on Sunday. She has flown extensively with me for longer than that. She reckons that she now does not trust my health so if I cark it in the air she will be able to fly home & become the owner of an aircraft all at the same time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

My wife helped a great deal in constructing my current plane, envisioning a safer aircraft than my Thruster, which she flatly refused to fly in, and has in fact come for a couple of short flights, but unfortunately succumbs to motion sickness so my 2 seater is a long range 1 seater (until medical science catches up)

But the will is there.....

My wife helped a great deal in constructing my current plane, envisioning a safer aircraft than my Thruster, which she flatly refused to fly in, and has in fact come for a couple of short flights, but unfortunately succumbs to motion sickness so my 2 seater is a long range 1 seater (until medical science catches up)But the will is there.....

Try ginger lollies and tablets, apparently they help so I have been told by some sufferers.

When I met my husband, we were both plane owners and pilots - that was the attraction. His first wife was not interested in flying or planes and regarded it like his workshop - he didn't do knitting and crosswords, she didn't fly or play with lathes. She died just over 8 years ago, we've been married for 6 1/2 years, just after he finished his latest build. We go to fly-ins together, which is great now he is retired. We have a topic we can talk about without arguing (much). It works for us; I am PPL with a C152 and he is RAA with a home built.

Sue

• Like 3
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

My wife did a weekend `Pilot Partner's' course about six or seven years ago, and has a logbook with 4 hours dual instruction recorded in it. She decided to do the course while working at the Aero Club because she was talking to pilots all the time, and wanted to get a better idea of what flying was about. She also thought I should have some lessons, even though I said I couldn't see any point in spending a lot of money just to learn to fly a small plane around in circles and come back down again. Anyway, despite my reluctance she bought me an Introductory 3-Lesson Pack. Unfortunately they turned out to be very expensive lessons because I rather liked the experience, so I bought another three. That eventually led to a PPL and then to a joint decision to build a plane. Although she likes the idea of having a plane and being able to travel places in it, she hasn't been interested in getting involved in the actual building process, and despite having done the short flying course, she doesn't have the confidence or desire to take any more lessons either. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to do all the building and flying then. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

rgmwa

• Like 1

Married 16 years , been flying since 05 from the back yard and she has watched me fly maybe 4-5 times. :( Apparently there's some good shows on TV? Lol. I took her once in the lightwing for a take off 180 then land- but king and queen rule she reckons! ( and has Never listened to my music either ). Can't complain ,she was my old freestyle moto-x Camera person for some years, and still complains about me " making her " stand under the jump whilst I jump over her for a good camera shot!

• Like 1

Gave up the idea after the first flight over water to Dunwich breakfast.

I briefed her on lookout for other planes. She told me of a plane ahead, turned out to be a speedboat wake.

She pointed out the aircraft parked below me. Golf carts lined up at the golf course!

Yes, she is blonde.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

My wife & I had our first lessons on the same day. For me it was a life long dream, for her it was a case of "I'll have a go". She fell in love with it during that first lesson. Our shared love of flying has meant we have owned 3 aircraft and currently own 2 which we refer to as "his & hers". Taking a plane each and taking friends for a fly together is one of the best fun things you can do with your clothes on.

• Like 1

My wife loves to come flying with me, although not interested in learning to fly. Quite regularly put the kids in the back and go for a picnic somewhere. When we were short of funds I suggested we sell the jab( I built) but she would not be in it. Very blessed. Tom

My wife doesn't fly herself. However she really enjoys going to airshows and is genuinely interested in many aviation things. She'd rather go to an airshow than go to a shopping mall!

....and you can't ask for any more than a wife who loves going to airshows! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

I like taking my to airshows too. She asks all the things I should already know, it is a really good opportunity to learn how much I don't know, and refresh what I should. I don't know if she will want to train or not, there is some interest there but we will have to get our plane registered and see where it leads.

My wife is not only into flying but she is more into it than I am. When I told her I had always wanted to get my pilots licence she said "me too"!!. Now five years later we both have our tickets and have built a Hangar/Chalet and a RV9a. But now she is nagging me to build a STOL with big tyres because she says it would be fun to be able to land anywhere!!

• Like 2

Lol my wife won't even drive on the freeway. I have somewhere between buckleys and no chance of getting her to fly an aircraft.

If we do start doing cross countries together in the future I would strongly suggest to her that she at least has a few lessons in case of emergency.

I should have remembered from 40 years ago. I put wife on back of motorbike and discovered that she had to keep her head level with the horizon. Bank left, she'd lean right to keep her head level. No more pillion passenger!

8 years ago I convinced her to go flying and all was well ( and she enjoyed it) until we did a gentle circuit to land after a 90 minute cross country. Her head went to jelly and she lost the plot. It took the rest of the day and that evening in hospital until she could stand up and walk again.

That's why I don't have a regular flying partner.

• Like 1

Taken me six years just to get her to put here hand on the stick, er control column.You know what I mean!

I hear what your saying Phil and I'm still living in hope, Maybe down the track after taking her on a few cross country trips she'll come around and play with the stick.

But on a more serious note my wife said the Royal couple don't fly together. My response is that we drive together. Sometimes its just not their thing.

In the 5yrs I have been flying she only been up twice and thats only cause I keep taking her girlfriends up and she gets a little jealous:smile: but down the track she is prepare to to a couple of cross country flights with me so fingers cross.

Been married 13 years, my wife has never been interested in flying. I managed to get her to come to the Murgon Brekky last Saturday in the back of the Drifter, and she loved the outing. Now she is even suggesting getting another larger more comfy aircraft, but I'm not keen to let go of the Drifter. Unlikely she will ever learn to fly, as she is almost blind.

• Like 1

My wife has done many flights with me including east coast to west coast return, but she sleeps most of the time and when given the stick manages to keep the plane banked, she doesn't want to fly regular but from the sounds of things I should be thankful. She has no interest to learn to fly and says I am Plane crazy.

• Winner 1

...but she sleeps most of the time...

Yours too!?? I can't understand how, with that beautiful panorama stretched out ahead of us, a scattering of light white fluffies below and all's well with the world, she can slumber on regardless. 070_sleep.gif.1c8d367a0c12958f2106584470af404d.gif