Which iPad

I use a 16gb iPad mini, and due to space limitations, use a knee board to hold it. I find the screen size more than adequate,as do 2 other regular fliers I know.

Given the size and installation method of the latest ios update, I would prefer to have 32gb model now. I was able to update, but had to temporarily remove some of my other data and apps.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Guest Andys@coffs

I had a full size 3G data/gps ipad and then a WiFi mini........I sold the full size one and the wifi only mini and got a mini with 4G data/gps built in because there wasn't a single thing that I did that I felt needed the extra screen realestate. To be blunt I also have the iphone with Oz... installed and I can't see why it alone isn't sufficient...It wasn't all that long ago that GPS's that recreational flyers could afford had screens no bigger and a damn side less clear than an iphone.... If the mini broke and all I had was the iphone then I wouldn't be loosing too much sleep because I tend to have at least 1 paper WAC with me (may not be latest and greatest but I'll bet the hills and towns haven't moved), especially as I've never removed the Garmin aviation gps from the dash.....

Andy

I really like the size of the mini which is what I have and is due for an update. The last updates Apple did was to the larger one, they didn't do much to the mini. There was a review of the new mini yesterday and while it didn't receive many updates, it is still a good machine.

The larger one has better antiglare which I wonder what that's like in the plane but I have a mount on my dash and found a visor on eBay to keep the sunlight off for my mini. That works really well.

Which one would I get, I prefer the mini but like the advances they did with the Air2. Another words I haven't made up my mind yet.

• Informative 1

I haven't used a mini but have only heard good things about them in planes. I use the full size iPad but can understand how it can be cumbersome, but when compared to trying to read a crumpled chart or a fat ersa I'm still happy :-).

I don't have room for either on my dash but have a small gps there anyway, I mainly leave the iPad just behind the passenger seat when I am solo (if flying with someone else the normally enjoy holding it ) and just check occasionally to make sure I am where I think I am :-) so the full size isn't really a problem for me. For double checking my frequencies/runways I use my iPhone which I find more than adequate to see CTAFs and area frequencies.

From what I hear the mini seems to be just about perfect for ozrunways. As for memory I now run the 32 but used to run a 16gig, a 16 would be ok if not using iPad for too many other apps/games but if he wanted it for other things as well 32 would be a better way to go IMO.

Is ozrunways running well on android yet? There are some pretty nifty android tablets out there now.

Guest Andys@coffs
Actually the built in GPS does use quite a bit of power. I have that one for the 4g but went with a separate GPS via bluetooth. It also supports glonass gps.http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps160/

It may be as you say, but Bluetooth is a transmitter and a receiver...GPS is just a receiver...... I'd be suspecting that its the cellular side of things that is using the power......In the air however line of sight to the towers is very easy and coverage much better than on the ground. On the ground the transmit function will definitely use more power as it lifts signal strength to overcome the poor lines of sight on the ground....at the altitudes we flyTx power is small...not so great at 30kft etc looking out a small window however but at 9500ft coverage for T is superb.

Get the 3g one, can buy prepaid sim and you have access to weather in flight too

16gb isonly just big enough

Separate gps is another thing to charge/go flat, internal GPS is pretty good

Mini is great size,

I did prefer larger screen but it is too big for the cockpit

• Agree 2

Guest Howard Hughes

I don't use Ozrunways, but I find the mini perfect for Avplan and Jeppesen. I have an iPad retina mini 32GB (4G). Battery power is amazing, I can use it for a whole 8 hour shift and sometimes still have 80%+ battery power left. I can normally use it for three shifts comfortably without requiring re-charging.

I've used an mini and an air and think it depends on what you are using it for.

Mini is great outside of flying, easy to hold big enough to read. Great for small cockpits but I prefer the air for flying if you are using it for maps on OzRunways, trying to read an ERC on a mini sucks in flight and I don't feel like I see enough of a WAC. If not using it for maps. Mini all the way

While in the big city on Monday, I visited the Apple shop to compare iPads. Side by side, the Air2 definitely has less glare than the Air it has just replaced (and it has the fastest processor of all the iPads). Urged on by my wife (strange, that) I bought the Air 2 to replace my old faithful iPad Mk. 1. My aging and genetically defective eyes find the mini just too small to read in flight. A kneedock puts the screen at a comfortable focal length for my multifocal glasses when in the driver's seat.

• Agree 1

Guest buzzard

Ipad mini for me in a trike. Attached to a cradle using a ram mount. Full size ipad just too much in the way and the larger screen not necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Been using the mini for a while and with a kneeboard it's a very effective tool, both for ground planning and in the air. First tried it on some RPT flights to familiarise myself with the functions and found picking out map detail from FL380 with Ozmaps a doddle. Just beware that (and probably teaching many to suck eggs here) that 'airplane' mode disables the GPS and you have to select 'cell data off' instead if you want to at least follow the spirit of the law and use the GPS on RPT.

I believe that its not just GPS, but uses GNSS as well. However, I haven't pinned that down absolutely. Sitting inside the aluminium tubes I never saw worse than 10M accuracy claimed.

We use the iPad Mini 16GB + 3G (but no SIM card) with Retina display in the aircraft and it is fine.

I have the dual xGPS160 and it is brilliant and the battery does last ages.

The 16GB is only just enough and when it comes time to update the maps I found I had to deleted heaps before I could download the new maps.

Use your iPhone as a personal hotspot for the iPad and you have the best of both worlds.

OzRunways on the iPhone is OK for a backup even if CASA don't think so.

I originally bought a full size iPad 3 (32GB +3G Cell) to use for OzRunways before I got the Mini. It was good but cumbersome.

The mini is small enough to mount on the panel (portrait) with a RAM Mount.

I've even seen a full size iPad (landscape) on a panel with a RAM type mount but it uses up a lot of real estate.

Best to run the iPad off an adapter (2 Amp 12V) or 5V socket if you have one on the panel - that way the iPad doesn't get hot and shut down.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have both a company iPad 3 (with full company Jeppesen Manual suite & nav database), and a personal iPad mini. Both have my Ozrunways subscription loaded.

I used the company iPad 3 for a number of flights in the hobby plane and it was excellent from a readability viewpoint, but just got in the way a bit too much for comfort during takeoff and landing. So now I have the Ipad mini and the "space" issue is far better without sacrificing screen real estate to an impractical level.

If I could, I would stick with the full sized iPad. Great in an Airbus cockpit, but my weekender cockpit simply makes that difficult - a problem I imagine most readers here would sympathise with. The larger screen is better for zooming into chart features while still being able to display some of the surrounding info which I've had to do often, but the iPad mini is still pretty good and with the retina displays on all the new iPads, resolution is amazing and only limited by the scanning process of the electronic charts & documents.

I can't for the life of me imagine anyone trying to navigate, read charts, and look up ERSA info on an iPhone as a "normal" (as opposed to an emergency) method of operating. I still have 20/20 vision and don't need glasses, but the iPhone would be just ridiculous.

Memory: Unfortunately you don't get a choice with operating RAM in an iPad (my normal rule for operating RAM required to run any software is to take the software manufacturer's recommended minimum, double it, and start from there). You can only choose the storage memory. Ozrunways reckons 16GB is more than enough for all the database info and they're probably right. BUT: people start adding stuff. First you decide you want some of your favourite music on it. Then you're going to the Fly-In and you realise you want to show people your new house photos, and the new baby photos, oh and some cool aviation videos you downloaded, and the photos of your aircraft build.

So get 32GB. Or of you think you might start loading it up with even more travelling/flying stuff (especially music or videos both of which are storage hogs), just go to 64GB.

• Agree 2

Guest Andys@coffs

except I think Apple have discontinued the 32Gb models...now you can buy a 16Gb which is too small for anyone or 64Gb or 128Gb.....For most the last is ridiculous in size, 64Gb is generally more than most would need...especially at the price premium that Apple charges...but as we all know apple memory is just so much better than all the rest because....well anyway...nice weather we are having.

I agree that 32GB is the smallest practical size. We get away with 16GB because the iPad is dedicated to the aircraft and not used for other personal stuff. We have our own iPad for that and as backup to the dedicated iPad.

You can buy pre-loved iPads on eBay for pretty reasonable prices compared with brand new especially if you had to go to 64GB of ridiculously expensive Apple memory.

. . . You can buy pre-loved iPads on eBay for pretty reasonable prices compared with brand new especially if you had to go to 64GB of ridiculously expensive Apple memory.

Speaking of which I just "bought my wife" an iPad Mini 32GB Retina Display (WiFi only) and checked with OzRunways that all would work OK with the iPad getting GPS from my Dual XGPS160 and 3G from my iPhone (as personal hotspot).