CASA - Draft Proposal for Jabiru Aircraft

slb

Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh you blokes, 

Traversing a little bit of rough country sitting behind a 3300. How high do YOU think is safe?

And with a number of saleplanes above & below at the time.

Plus an ingrowing toenail.

Sounds like you were having a bad hair day.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you were having a bad hair day.

Not at all, it was great fun but it just shows how you sometimes have to use initiative and not just blindly fly the numbers for a little while. You can see the direction on the GPS.

Advertising-banner-towing aircraft? The Goodyear Blimp x 2+? Real-estate agent drones? Going-out-of-business Persian carpet warehouse balloons? How many offered a free set of steak-knives and 'wait- there's more!'

Advertising-banner-towing aircraft? The Goodyear Blimp x 2+? Real-estate agent drones? Going-out-of-business Persian carpet warehouse balloons? How many offered a free set of steak-knives and 'wait- there's more!'

Always controversial Oscar! Trying to take someone else's job when you know Spelling and grammar checking is Dazza's job.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Maj Millard

I believe VFR cruising alts are recommended not mandatory aren't they ....obviously your not going to cruise along inside a broken layer of cloud therefore blowing the required cloud separation vertically and horizontally just to maintain VFR cruising.

I believe VFR cruising alts are recommended not mandatory aren't they ....obviously your not going to cruise along inside a broken layer of cloud therefore blowing the required cloud separation vertically and horizontally just to maintain VFR cruising.

Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 - 173 Cruising level to be appropriate to magnetic track

(1)When a V.F.R. flight is conducted at a height of 5,000 feet or more above mean sea level, the pilot in command must, subject to any contrary air traffic control instructions, ensure that the cruising level of the aircraft is appropriate to its magnetic track.

Penalty: 25 penalty units.

• Caution 1

Guest Maj Millard

Key

Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 - 173 Cruising level to be appropriate to magnetic track(1)When a V.F.R. flight is conducted at a height of 5,000 feet or more above mean sea level, the pilot in command must, subject to any contrary air traffic control instructions, ensure that the cruising level of the aircraft is appropriate to its magnetic track.

Penalty: 25 penalty units.

Key word there being appropriate....appropriate to what exactly ?..........

Guest Maj Millard

Ap

[ATTACH=full]33132[/ATTACH]

It appears to be only applicable at above 5000' in this country........in the States it was above 3000'........would be interesting to see some stats on VFR cruising midairs ...to see just where they do happen. I believe most mid airs still occur within 10 nm of an airport.

What relevance is cta? Inside cta your generally assigned an altitude and sepearted ( depending in class of airspace an flight rules)Class G is where hemisphericals matter.

It was in reference to a lack of knowledge of VFR rules and deference to arguing the point when presented with those said rules. If people don't understand the basic class G airspace rules then CTA would be too big a jump with more rules and a requirement to adhere to them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gifcell.gif.0ffa74af2505389b1021b01bc3378cd2.gif074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gifbounce.gif.3516b5f7197d1d6889168640af67e2f6.gifbounce.gif.1ff37f7384330975bf7be7976b8a6718.gif

Traversing a little bit of rough country sitting behind a 3300. How high do YOU think is safe?

Plus an ingrowing toenail.

Yeah Captain do what you like , couldn't agree more old son , but more importantly I do sympathise about your toenail .Would you like to hear about my hernia some time ?. I thought that the young forum cretins were only interested in those pretty colour displays like yours but no , I also got pinged for a couple of "suspect " indications . Yes , on those El cheapo "near enough type " Chinese steam gauges that Jabiru supply ,would you believe ?. Who cares what they indicate anyway , I've been doing this for a long time and I'm still around . Cheers mate .

Bob. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif059_whistling.gif.2dabfb95cf260b127f1075aee60bf487.gif

• Like 1

What are we all going to be like IF Jabiru ever get these things right, we will be bored old & young men on here with nothing to b!tch about.

Now tell us about your hernia Biggles, we seem to have covered most things in this thread.

Alf

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What are we all going to be like IF Jabiru ever get these things right, we will be bored old & young men on here with nothing to b!tch about.Now tell us about your hernia Biggles, we seem to have covered most things in this thread.

Alf

Alf , good to hear from you , you're obviously back out there with the big money and the flies again , while I try to catch up on today's forum happenings in bed . Had a big day today ( started at 2.00 pm ) and finally attacked the cracked fascia that I have been trying not to see for the past 10 years . Not a good flying day today Alf, with cloud down to cct. height ,no rain but ideal for acrylic painting ..... so the Finance Manager tells me anyway . Anyway I've started something that will keep me busy for another week . Saturday looks flyable , at this stage anyway . The F M has just arrived , early for her , the TV must be on the blink . She knows all about about the hernia Alf , ask her sometime , but now time for 'lights out ' I've been told .

Cheers . Bob

• Like 1

I guess we are all just waiting to see what CASA comes back with once the paint eventually drys and they can get out of the corner they painted themselves into.

Jabiru's response has been defensive of the engine and their handling of the problems experienced which is not great but when attacked as they have been, it is the expected response. The unfortunate thing is that in spite of the service bulletin that was released by Jabiru to increase inspections if higher risk factors are present, they should still be investigating the failures and maintenance problems and looking at what can be done to improve their engine to better handle the varied conditions that have been identified. But also what can operators and pilots do to reduce the likelihood of problems - increase climb out speeds, avoid glide approaches, use better fuel, reduce operating temperatures, increase maintenance inspections... Maybe the latest version of the engine has done the trick but a wise man does not rest on the laurels.

The critical part now is for the engine to be more tolerant of those identified risk factors (heating, cooling, CHT and fuel etc) that could adversely affect through bolts and valves and lead to failure or the need for maintenance, Jabiru should be seeking ways to continually investigate failures and work out how to prevent them - engine and/or operations. CAMit, Morgan and a number of other people have possibly found some answers - Jabiru needs to work with them and every owner and LAME to keep improving the product.

I have said before that the Jabiru is not a Rotax/Lycoming/Continental but everything could be made better. CASA should have and still do have the opportunity to work with RA-Aus and Jabiru to achieve the desired outcomes rather than punish the owners. Nobody wants an engine failure so people are not doing things wrong deliberately - so what can be done to reduce problems?

• Agree 2