Accident at Kyneton

We had an RV9 landing accident at Kyneton today. The nose wheel collapsed and the plane ended up on its back, but the pilot escaped with a few cuts and bruises.

Take it that it was an RV9A? Was it on a good smooth surface strip, or a rough one? Does the aircraft have a history of 'off airport/paddock' operations? Curious because so far in Australia we seem to have less nosewheel incidents than the Yanks. happy days,

How well does it work on aircraft canopys (which are not glass)? Have you tried it?

That would be my only concern as I haven't tried them, the seat belt cutter part of them looks very good especially if you found yourself in water but as for the glass breaker on aircraft canopies I don't know

They work perfectly on the side and rear windows of cars, they DON'T work on laminated windscreens and they won't do anything to plexi/poly/plastic screens.

Having said that they are an awesome little tool and I think a good thing to have but just keep in mind their limitations. They might not be the most helpful tool in the plane but have one on your car key ring for sure:thumb up:

Yes an RV9a on a good grass strip. A low hours aircraft.

Will be interested to hear of the pilots' technique when everything settles down and the shock passes. The 9A has huge flaps, a very low full flap stall speed around 42-44 kts - which necessitates considerable holdoff even from a 55-60kt approach. On many softer grass strips I've found that adding a touch of power at mainwheels on is useful in being able to hold the nosewheel off for quite some time. Avoiding brake use on grass seems to be a good precaution in the 9A. Anyway, pleased to hear they exited ok. The possibility of being trapped inside and upside down isn't one that anyone looks forward to! happy days,

It was VH. Exit was assisted by one of our members breaking canopy with a fire extinguisher.

Therein lies the problem ... a major problem IMHO. Upside down in a paddock in the middle of nowhere ... very bad. Upside down anywhere and fire ... very very bad. I don't like low wings with lifting canopies for that single hazard.

• Agree 2

Therein lies the problem ... a major problem IMHO. Upside down in a paddock in the middle of nowhere ... very bad. Upside down anywhere and fire ... very very bad. I don't like low wings with lifting canopies for that single hazard.

Would a sliding canopy with five or six hundred kilos of plane, crew and fuel sitting on it be anymore fun than a lifting one really?

• Agree 1

Probably NOT.. Its always been a consideration, like roll bars in convertibles ( soft tops) Car passenger cell strength is a major advance in later cars.

Most U/Ls have weak nosewheels. Rather easy to break them off. Tailwheel is better there, as mainwheels are further forward.

• Agree 1

Probably NOT.. Its always been a consideration, like roll bars in convertibles ( soft tops) Car passenger cell strength is a major advance in later cars.Most U/Ls have weak nosewheels. Rather easy to break them off. Tailwheel is better there, as mainwheels are further forward.

I agree Nev, but we're unlikely to revert to t/w in the future, so have to work with the n/w versions. Fundamentally, we need to use aerodynamic braking instead of tramping on the anchors and placing load on the nosewheel. Brakes should be the control of last resort. Elevator command will be aided by having better load distribution, even in LSA. Really comes back to instructors setting the standards during basic training, and insisting on this technique during reviews and future recurrent training. happy days,

• Agree 2

I had some interesting conversations with a Gent who came to the UK to assist on the build og the first A22 Foxbat imported into the country. He and his associate came over from Kiev and stayed with us for ten days whilst the first kit was assembled. They were a mine of useful information on light aircraft designs, both having worked for some years at the Antonov design Bureau. ( only one spoke English though )

One of their stories centred on the heated arguments they used to have with regard to the angle of mounting between the longitudinal axis of whatever airframe and nosewheel support strut assemblies,. . . even a very small difference in forward rake of the strut making a large difference to the stress calculations with regard to rearward shear forces applied to the structure, particularly with non - hydraulic / pneumatic oleo fixed installations in an average landing situation. ( Not actually exponential variations, but surprisingly large nonetheless ) Some of the calculations they showed us were quite interesting.

It ( like everything else I guess ) always resulted in some kind of trade-off one way or another BUT . . . . . as Nev mentioned, . . .just one unexpected rabbit hole can often screw up all of the sums ! !

And as Poteroo pointed out, . . .if trainee pilots are not fully conversant with the systems at the end of training, . . you then get discussions about lifting and sliding windows. . . . . !

Stay upright. . . .

Phil

Also a long way from reality. Have someone tip your aircraft upside down on concrete so you're hanging in the shoulder straps, have someone throw a pan full of dust in your eyes, give yourself a bang on the head with a wooden hammer, then first FIND the escape hammer and see how you go working upside down when the canopy, which is now a structural member cracks like it did in the video.

• Agree 5