Going Solo

My dad rode on my shoulder when I flew my Navigation test. I don't think he had his hand on the stick but I am sure I heard him say that is Chinchilla son can't you see it yet.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I soloed in a C172 at 6 hours. This was in 1992, I think the rules changed shortly thereafter meaning you had to have more hours.

Total surprise, we were doing touch and goes and the instructor told me to come to a full stop. I watched dumbfounded as he unstrapped and climbed out. I think I said "Where the hell are you going??" and he just grinned and said "Go do another circuit."

I remember the aircraft absolutely jumping off the ground and talking myself through it (out loud). When I landed and taxied in I was smiling so much the top of my head should've fallen off. Absolute exhilaration.

• Like 1

Six hours ? ? ? in a redoubtable one seven two. . . . .RESPEC. .. . . .!

Nice aeroplane though,. . . . .easy to see why it was the most flown aircraft on the planet, until being unceremoniously deposed by the disgusting and much hated Bell 206 Jetranger. . . . .bloody millionaires,. . . .they've got a lot to answer for. . . . . .and in bloody dangerous whirlygigthingummies as well. . . . .!

Actually,. . .when I ascended to the dizzy heights of being allowed to fly the glorious skyhawk,. . .I found that it came off the ground in quite a normal manner, BUT THEN. . . .I was already a fat bar$stard,. . .so that's probably why there wasn't much difference when my stick insect-like instructor got out and said something like. . ."Go and kill yourself by your own doing . . ." ( Sir Alan Basket,. . .circa 1973 )

• Like 1

I've always said there's something just plain wrong about helicopters. We had a neighbour who was ex-RAN, used to work on the Squirrels. "Big noisy palm trees" was his name for them.

I soloed in a 172 after 8 hours, back in the late 80's. On that day, I was very surprised to see the CFI beside me rather than my usual instructor, and after about half an hour of touch and goes, he sent me off for one circuit.....but I snuck in another touch and go..

• Like 2

Helicopters are an abomination. If they were meant to fly, they'd have wings. Ugly, nasty, noisy, rattly things. And talk about high maintenance. . . cheaper to run a glider and a mistress.

Bruce

• Haha 2

I soloed in a C172 at 6 hours. This was in 1992, I think the rules changed shortly thereafter meaning you had to have more hours.

Wow! 6 hours... that's what I'll have in my log book after my next lesson!! I don't think I'd be ready to solo just yet 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

When I landed and taxied in I was smiling so much the top of my head should've fallen off. Absolute exhilaration.

I feel like that every time I manage to get it down in one piece. So far, so good.

rgmwa

• Haha 1

Ahh,. . .I see what you mean,. . .well,. . I ceased abusing myself when I quit smoking some years ago mate,. . . . . . .

I had a disturbing mental image of you doing both at once, in which case I'm not surprised the other smokers on their break were a bit uncomfortable...

I'd give my right arm to fly a helicopter. 007_rofl.gif.8af89c0b42f3963e93a968664723a160.gif

No problem Red. . . . you could still do it, left hand on the collective, and simply control the cyclic between your knees easypeasy. However, don't give up your right empennage for a flight in a "Robboe" . . .as the cyclic terminates above, and you'll need very athletic knees to grab the handle and pull it down. . . . .

Here's an idea to save your arm mate,. . .start a charity called Red750, or something like that, and ask everybody on the internet to donate 1 cent. . . you'll be there in no time mate. . . .but don't forget to give the change to something worthwhile or you'll go to jail . . . .

Helicopters are an abomination. If they were meant to fly, they'd have wings. Ugly, nasty, noisy, rattly things. And talk about high maintenance. . . cheaper to run a glider and a mistress.Bruce

So many negative vibes Bruce. . .! If Eric (Winkle )Brown ( RN) could fly one first attempt, with only a read of the manual the night before, then it looks like Any of us gifted forumites could do it. . .he's only human after all. . . . How hard can it be for chrissake . . . ? Autorotation. . . Vortex ring,. . Recirculation on one side,. . . Shutting down in a strong quartering crosswind when facing the wrong way. . . .Reversing up to high buildings to let the troops off. . . ? ? ? Pah !. easypeasy !:rotary:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Wow! 6 hours... that's what I'll have in my log book after my next lesson!! I don't think I'd be ready to solo just yet 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

I still remember my first solo, and I still remember how bad my landings were back then!! I got sent off on my solo and bounced it bad! The instructor told me to do a T&G, but then did an simulated engine fail on the runway. We taxied off and he said to stop at the holding point and then jumped out!! MY second sold was about half dozen circuits, and I had to do a couple of go arounds.

I cant recall how many hours I had, but it would have been up around 20 I suspect, maybe more. I was coming off a fear of flying though, and still am dealing with it to be honest.

• Like 2

I started doing circuits this week, 4 great takeoffs and 4 not so good landings, I was pulling back a little too much on the flare. They were my very first landings so I guess it's to be expected... practice makes perfect.

I started doing circuits this week, 4 great takeoffs and 4 not so good landings, I was pulling back a little too much on the flare. They were my very first landings so I guess it's to be expected... practice makes perfect.

Never mind, It's possibly a subconcious ( or even fully concious ) natural aversion to re-interfacing with Mother Earth at a percieved less than opportune angle / velocity, prompted by the perspective of no previous frights of that kind . . .! Hey,. . .a NEW kind of fright eh ?

We've all been there chap,. . . some people call it "Ground Rush" , followed by a quite normal human reaction against it ! Remember when you learned to drive a car ?

Did you find it initially difficult to parallel park perfectly just 25mm from the pavement kerb without scrubbing your dunlop sidewalls ? . . .sometimes hitting it,. . .sometimes missing it by a foot . . .? and after a few hours practicing, you found that you could do it right first time without even thinking. . .

Keep at it. It WILL go away, sooner than you might think.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 3 months later...

I have been ready for my first solo for 3 weeks (total 15 hrs so far) but still waiting for my Medical from CASA - should have submitted that at week 1 :-(

I really dont think it matters how may hours - everyone has a different learning rate. I am getting plenty of circuit training whilst waiting for the medical and each time there are differnet weather and traffic conditions - good experience.

• Agree 1

I have been ready for my first solo for 3 weeks (total 15 hrs so far) but still waiting for my Medical from CASA - should have submitted that at week 1 :-(I really dont think it matters how may hours - everyone has a different learning rate. I am getting plenty of circuit training whilst waiting for the medical and each time there are differnet weather and traffic conditions - good experience.

Might be worth suggesting to your instructor that you'd like to start the next phase of training? (Steep turns, advanced stalling, PFL, IF etc.) I've done this many times over the years with students if there are delays to solo op's. I've noted an increase in confidence and competency with most students I've done this with.

• Agree 2

Next week is my 20th hour and I still haven't gone solo yet. I only just failed the Air Law exam, and I knew some of the questions I got wrong. I just didn't read the question properly. If I had just one more question right, I would have passed. No matter, I'm better educated and ready to re-sit it next week.014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

• Like 4

Written tests have their limitations. I do well in exams but that doesn't always translate into expertise in the real world. Simulators have lots of potential for giving pilots (and just about everyone else) a more realistic test of their ability under operational conditions.

Next week is my 20th hour and I still haven't gone solo yet. I only just failed the Air Law exam, and I knew some of the questions I got wrong. I just didn't read the question properly. If I had just one more question right, I would have passed. No matter, I'm better educated and ready to re-sit it next week.014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Thats actually a blessing

If you just failed its best to resit and even if you pass its best to find out eaxactly what you got wrong and learn it...

Chances are at the time you do pass your theory test , your "theory knowledge" will be the best it will ever be, so its best to start with a good base....clearly some people will stil actively read, learn and listen, but many wont.

From my experience most the stuff in those exams and a lot thats not is absolutely vital. They are not worded perfectly, but if you havent passed them its great that your not going solo.

Written tests have their limitations. I do well in exams but that doesn't always translate into expertise in the real world. Simulators have lots of potential for giving pilots (and just about everyone else) a more realistic test of their ability under operational conditions.

True, but prac tests have limitations as well...they wont teach you legislation that will prevent accidents or stop you losing the house

You really should be disappointed and annoyed if you don't get 100% in a Pilot Cert exam. Think of it like a Doctor - you really want him to get your diagnosis and treatment correct 100% of the time not 4 times out of 5 (80%). The written exams are limited in how good a test they are but we don't really have a substitute for them unless you'd prefer an oral exam like they do for ship's officers. 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

• Agree 2