Essential flight bag items

Just wondering what items (other than the obvious) are essential to YOUR flight bag? I'll kick it off with a leatherman or good multi tool.

Mister Funnel for if / when you top up with fuel. Tie down kit. Two spare exhaust springs if these are part of the exhaust setup. Tube patches incase of a flat tyre. first aid kit.

what are the obvious ones?

maps, e6b, elt, water, pens,handheld radio etc

Hey do you realise you are member #7600? Haha you shoulda packed that spare radio ;)

Just wondering what items (other than the obvious) are essential to YOUR flight bag? I'll kick it off with a leatherman or good multi tool.

We had a similar thread a while ago, you might get some inspiration from it, and it might be good for the rest of us to re-visit it for a refresher too - Survival Pack

I think a lot of those things are ok, but high on my list would be a PLB, with that the rest are mostly obsolete, maybe something to light a fire for warmth and signal in case you cant be rescued till next day, and some sultana's or a big mac, seems you can last 5 days in the bush on a snack pack box of sultana's and the big mac will last ten years without decomposing almost as good as a ten year battery life in the PLB's

• Haha 1

I think a lot of those things are ok, but high on my list would be a PLB, with that the rest are mostly obsolete, maybe something to light a fire for warmth and signal in case you cant be rescued till next day, and some sultana's or a big mac, seems you can last 5 days in the bush on a snack pack box of sultana's and the big mac will last ten years without decomposing almost as good as a ten year battery life in the PLB's

PLB (ELB?) is a given isn't it? You are required to carry one if you're going more than a stone's throw from your point of departure so the list of things for the survival pack are items you might need in addition.

It depends how far you're going of course. If you're headed up Cape York, to the NW Kimberley coast or the SW Tassie coast you'd do well to take more than a firestick and a pack of sultanas ...

I know someone who had and used a working ELB when they had an engine failure over the Great Sandy desert and although his predicament was known, even in that relatively accessible location it still took three days to get to him, locally available choppers didn't have the range. It'd be quicker these days but could still take longer than might be comfortable in mid winter or mid summer.

you'd do well to take more than a firestick and a pack of sultanas

HITC sorry mate my humor is sometimes a tad too subtle, recent news, man lost 5 days Mt Tamborine, no signal fires no matches or firelighting equip, even though he was told to stay put on his last known triangulation, walked out 5 days later with only 8 sultanas a day to survive on, police quizz for hours as he was in too good a shape to go 5 days and only few scratch's and abrasions, all looks a bit suss as money spinning con.

Being from the gold coast thought you might be up on the yarn.

I will endeavour to be more succinct in future

PLB (ELB?)

ELB (Elastic Load Balancing ????)

AB

HITC sorry mate my humor is sometimes a tad too subtle, recent news, man lost 5 days Mt Tamborine, no signal fires no matches or firelighting equip, even though he was told to stay put on his last known triangulation, walked out 5 days later with only 8 sultanas a day to survive on, police quizz for hours as he was in too good a shape to go 5 days and only few scratch's and abrasions, all looks a bit suss as money spinning con.Being from the gold coast thought you might be up on the yarn.

I will endeavour to be more succinct in future

ELB (Elastic Load Balancing ????)

AB

Erm ... well I hadn't noticed anything particularly subtle about it yet. And the irony wasn't missed, I live ten minutes from Mt Tamborine.

ELB is what they are - Emergency Locator Beacon, there are Personal types which are wearable and distinguished from the types fixed to the airframe (or vessel) by becoming known as Personal LBs, but they're all ELBs.

Humour aside, there are some folks who are flying machines that take them on cross-countries further than the end of the cross-strip, so in respect of the OP's request for information I simply directed him to an earlier thread, some posts of which contain valuable information, should anyone be unfortunate enough to end up needing it, and particularly if there happened to be injuries involved.

Somewhat paralleling the survival kit is the matter of crashworthiness of the airframe itself. Interestingly, although we had plenty of crashes in the early days, often in simple, exposed airframes like the B1rd, but due to the considerably lower speeds a much smaller percentage of crashes resulted in serious injury or death, than they do these days. There are a few things people can do to improve their chances and quite a number of them are listed in this thread which is also worth re-visiting - Small aircraft crashworthiness

• Informative 1