Census night

Admin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they thought we wouldn't remember where we were on Tuesday. I misplaced my login, so used the provided "Contact Us" link to request another. I received an automated no-reply email advising that my request had been received and would be replied to as soon as possible. In the meantime, I found the login no., and completed the Census. I received an email in reply to my request, saying they noted I had completed it and thanked me.

Actually, I don't think there was any information sought which is not pretty much public knowledge anyway. And I don't care what they do with the information in 99 years, I'll be long dead and buried, so will my kids. I'll be 170 by then.

I did make a comment in the space provided that in the employment section, where it asked if you had worked in the last week, or sought work, if you answered no to both questions, it left the impression you were a bludger. It didn't give you the opportunity to say "Retired".

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

They paid some firm $450K to stress test the site, so I wonder what went wrong?

I saw where they reckoned the stress test was one million people logging on at once. It seems pretty obvious, that two million people logged on at once, and broke the Big Rubber Band powering it all. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

And of course, the head honchos of the ABS obviously deemed keeping another BRB on hand as a spare, as pure wastefulness. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

I guess we should be thankful for small mercies - these types of people that we have in the ABS management, could be planning, designing, and installing the NBN instead ..... Oh, hang on ........ 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Don't think anyone seems to have any idea what went on.

First it was a denial of service then it wasn't now it's back on to a DOS again.

First it came from overseas ( and China implicated by inuendo), then it was an internal DOS and then it was just internal heavy usage now it's back to an overseas DOS from ( or via) the USA.

You'd think with all the keeping and tracking of ISP/server data that someone could actually know really what happened.

The biggest thing to me now is the quality of the data...there will always be the question of accuracy hanging over the results.

They have never been held in high regard; I first thought my great great grandmother was semi literate when she spelled the name of one of her children differently to what was onj the birth certificate. Then I went through the 19th century census results and foun that at each census she changed the birth dates of at least three of the children to have a different eldest child at each census, she changed the spelling and she swapped some of the names; she clearly had a healthy reluctance to give the government anything.

They have never been held in high regard; I first thought my great great grandmother was semi literate when she spelled the name of one of her children differently to what was onj the birth certificate. Then I went through the 19th century census results and foun that at each census she changed the birth dates of at least three of the children to have a different eldest child at each census, she changed the spelling and she swapped some of the names; she clearly had a healthy reluctance to give the government anything.

All too common over many centuries, and not necessarily because of a fear of, "giving the Govt anything". My paternal grandfather put his age down by 7 years sometime in the 1880's.

I can remember Dad telling us the family was shocked to find he was actually 78 when he died (from an accident), not the 71 they all thought he was.

I tracked down all his records from the British census, from 1845, when he was born, and found the census report from 1891 where his listed age didn't add up (the British did a census every 10 years, in the years ending in "1").

I'm wagering it was because he went for a job after being in the Army for an extended time, and he was probably concerned he'd be overlooked as too old - so he passed himself off as 7 yrs younger.

Had thoughts that site might crash on Tuesday night, so I did it on the day before knowing who was going to be home the following evening. Does that make us boring! :-(

Yes, I trust the ABS floggings will continue, until morale improves. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I guess there's one good thing to come out of it - the Defence Signals Directorate staff have had a good workout, checking on the supposed source, of the supposed DOS attack. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

You could guess it wouldn't be long, before we had the Hitler rant over the census failure. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Well...... Public Service has the word PUBLIC in it. Some can't cope with that. Eliminate , eliminate. Starve them of funds to breaking point, give them a BIG, NEW,job to do, When it inevitably fails, BLAME them . What bothers ME is No one is coming straight about this. CERTAIN THINGS happened or they didn't. Just for once I'd like a straight answer. No.... I DEMAND it. Nothing less is acceptable...Nev

Good luck with that DEMAND, Nev. In large organisations, a**e-covering is a perfected art, to hide managerial incompetence, and to ensure the blame travels down to someone way below them.

They also sack any one who is smart enough to be a threat to them, and anyone older than them because of their insecurity. Have a suggestion box that works .Pay for good suggestions. Make them all shareholders and you will do well. Don't turn up for "work" at 10 am in your new Merc,AMG, and leave for lunch at 12 with the new secretary, if you want loyalty. Nev

The six phases of a project

1. Enthusiasm

2. Disappointment.

3. Disaster

4 The search for the guilty

5. The punishment of the innocent

6. Awards and congratulations for the non participants.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1