Mid-air on final to same runway kills 3

Guest SrPilot

Amusing to us, but probably treated as real by some Trump voters.

I am in a forum group centred around motor vehicle history and hot rodding. I have known a lot of the guys, mostly Yanks, for a very long time, some since 1999 on the internet, and 2 things they hate with a passion is Trump and Metric.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turbs perhaps you and I don't use the same sort of shops. I have noticed all sorts of items, from box trailers to sewing fabric being sold in ancient measurements. Why are screens for phones, computers and TVs still sold in damned inches? Have a look at product labels- and that includes Australian-made items!If American firms want to sell me their products they had better speak my language.

Over the decades since we metricated I've often phoned around for prices and used mm measurements, it's only recently that I've been met with confusion.

I can't find the sooky like:whistling:.

As a farmer we still use both systems, for nice accurate (for a farmer) stuff we use mm's but for bigger stuff that isn't so critical we like feet and/or inches. Of course huge things like paddock length ect are all better in metres or kilometres.

Our row cropping was originally set up on 6 foot wheel spacing with 3 foot crop spacing back in grandads day and for us here it doesn't make sense to change for a couple of reasons.

1. The cost of replacing every piece of gear would be enormous and definitely wouldn't be economically viable.

2. For our soil here 1 metre rows are just too far apart and we lose productivity and changing to a close metric measurement for the sake of having a metric measurement seems a bit wasteful (ie no profit to be made from it!)

of course we could just say we have 1.83 metre wheel spacing and 0.91 metre row spacing but they are rounded measurements so not accurate for wider widths and heaps harder than 6 and 3 to remember.

My brain is about equal on both. I work in both and use 3937 pretty often. Mitre 10 near me got rid of all non metric stuff about 2 years ago. Hong Kong might tend to Imperial on occasions. It's a MESS at the moment which can be dangerous with things like scaffolding etc. and annoying most times. A lot of euro stuff has metric gear profiles. More cost in tooling and checking. Nev

The most dangerous areas are those where measurements are crucial. The HQ-WB Holdens (and the trailers using those hubs) are all imperial (inch) measure on the PCD of the wheel studs.

The HQ-WB wheel stud PCD is 4.75" or 120.65mm.

When the Commodore came along, it used metric hubs and wheels. The Commodore wheel stud PCD is 120 mm (4.724") - yet the wheels will seemingly interchange between the two Holden lines.

However, mixing the wheels and hubs means the studs get bent when tightened, increasing the chances of stud failure, and reducing the proper clamping forces of the wheel nuts.

• Agree 2

I am in a forum group centred around motor vehicle history and hot rodding. I have known a lot of the guys, mostly Yanks, for a very long time, some since 1999 on the internet, and 2 things they hate with a passion is Trump and Metric.

One I can understand, but the other? What is wrong with them?

I was taught metrics in high school from 1961 to 1965. It was drummed into us, that metrics were going to rule in the future. That was a State high school, too, not any fancy private school.

Metric conversion started in Australia when the Metric Conversion Act was passed on 12 June 1970. Metrication was extended slowly through the entire country and industry over more than a couple of decades.

Road and speed measurements were converted to metric in 1974. Many 1974-76 cars and trucks had dual measurement speedometers.

WB Holdens were half metric and half imperial - the front half of the body was metric, the back half was imperial, and the drivetrain was still all imperial.

The early Commodores were metric body and imperial drivetrain. It wasn't until the Nissan-engined Commodores were introduced that the Commodores became all metric.

One I can understand, but the other? What is wrong with them?

You very quickly learn to deal with the measurements that the manufacturer built things in.

I've worked with both on various aircraft over the years, I actually find that inches in decimal, is the easiest to deal with.

I was a surveyor from 1970, we worked in feet and inches, chains, links until about 1973 then went metric and had to buy new tape measures.

At school I had learnt both systems in science and as an engineering student I had to learn both and calculate in both such as foot-pounds, poundals, kilo calories per mole degree and so on. It was hard to do using only slide rules and tables.

I can accept that there may be some value to the oft-postponed death of the cursed imperial system: to give your brain a good workout.

That's all. Better and more productive exercise for your grey matter could be had from learning another language, or a completely new skill.

I'm bilingual (although formally educated under the metric system) when it comes to measurements too, but in university aerodynamics we had to learn the slug.

1 slug = 32.174 pounds or 14.593 kg.

It equates to the mass which will accelerate by 1 ft per second squared when 1 pound force is applied to it.

Go figure.......

Don't start on RHS or LHS on trains! That's an even greater c***-up!And as for the Americans - in the 224 years since driving on the right was made mandatory in the U.S., they had steering on the RHS for 126 of them!

Henry Ford was the bloke who moved all the Ford steering wheels to the left in 1908 - and then all the other U.S. manufacturers slowly followed suit, with Pierce-Arrow still building their cars in RHD in 1920!

Speaking of Pierce Arrow, I received a PowerPoint slideshow of classic cars (60 0f them) which included this 1932 Pierce Arrow (LHD).

472878155_32Pierce.jpg.04cfc703545beed27aaecec6636bffb2.jpg