Ron5335

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TMI

More and more people say "LPG gas" when the G stands for 'gas' already.

The same to banking staff who say "ATM machine" when the M stands for 'machine' already. Their colleagues say "PIN number" when the N stands for 'number' already.

• Like 1

More and more people say "LPG gas" when the G stands for 'gas' already.The same to banking staff who say "ATM machine" when the M stands for 'machine' already. Their colleagues say "PIN number" when the N stands for 'number' already.

Has its own term "RAS Syndrome". Which itself is an RAS - redundant acronym syndrome syndrome!

Toungue in cheek tautology within the name of the tautology.

• Like 1

I am constantly annoyed by the overuse of the word like. "And she like, went like all crazy like and then like he like sort of like walked like out like" ..........FFS !!!

Another Americanism which is creeping in is "come with" or "go with" not "why don't you come with me to the party" just "why don't you come with". Arrrrghh just lazy.

One which a colleague keeps using even after having been advised numerous times is "changing tact" when he should be saying "changing tack" when referring to a change of direction.

Random; now a noun, adjective and verb. 'this random just came into the shop" "anyone could have won, it was a random selection" "I saw some squahed ducks on the road someone had random over" (okay maybe stretching it)

• Like 3

Darnit. I think im one of those lower case people.

Don't sweat it Buddy,. . . .these bloody Aussies are just catching up with English Grammar. . . .BUT they are generally a nice, mild, extrmely friendly, Kind and well mannered people,. . . BUT,. . .like all colonials,. . .they need some time. . . .give them a millennium or so, and they will catch up. . . .

I am constantly annoyed by the overuse of the word like. "And she like, went like all crazy like and then like he like sort of like walked like out like" ..........FFS !!!Another Americanism which is creeping in is "come with" or "go with" not "why don't you come with me to the party" just "why don't you come with". Arrrrghh just lazy.

One which a colleague keeps using even after having been advised numerous times is "changing tact" when he should be saying "changing tack" when referring to a change of direction.

Random; now a noun, adjective and verb. 'this random just came into the shop" "anyone could have won, it was a random selection" "I saw some squahed ducks on the road someone had random over" (okay maybe stretching it)

Another'Bee in Phil'z bonnet' is the phrase . . .'We're Protesting so and so'. . . no you're NOT,. . you are protesting ABOUT, OR AGAINST so and so. . . the language is being brindleised . . . and noone seems to notice. . . .

American English now pervades the world & it's all due to the fact that the original computers and word processing software originated from there plus of course TV shows and movies. I prefer aeroplane to airplane but airplane seems now to be used in a lot of local press & not just articles sourced from the US. The same goes for the use of "Z" instead of "S" in words like "organise, utilise, The built in spell checker on this site is American as it underlines those words in red even though I have set my default to Australian English and British English in other applications. It doesn't matter. In a few years we will all be speaking and spelling in Chinglish anyway.

AND. . .at the current rate of immigration, we shall be speaking Polish, and Gujurati / Urdu / Hindustani,. . .which is not aproblem, as I speak ( Nearly - with a terrible English accent, so I am told by the bloody Froggies. . . ) fluent French, some Spanish ( enough to get by anyway ) a bit of Jerman. . .a tiny bit of Japanese and NO Chinese at all. . . .It's all grist for the mill. Now I'm semi retired,,. . .I'm learning \Urdu / Bangladeshi / Hindi / and some Pashtun,( Afghanistani ) . . .as I've always been interested in languages,. and my local Council is paying £150.00 per hour for interpreters. . . . .In Birmingham, they are paying £250.00 per hour. . .nice work, D'yer know any Bush pilots earning that sort of dosh forcattle mustering and placing themselves in more harm's way that sitting in a little warm office ? ?

Actually, we should be happy with today's grammar and spelling, even if it does not follow the "rules". That constant variation shows that our language is alive, not dead like those of lost civilisations.If any generation should be used to change, it should be us Baby Boomers.

OME

Hey Blud. . . .You Da Man

I can never figure out whether it is the 's' or the 'c' that is silent in the word 'scene'

What ?. . .are you totally inseine ? If you 'silentise' the letter 'S' . . .it's more a case of cene. . . .

But is it a Hard, or Soft 'C'. . . .? Can you give me a Keen answer ?

My brain ( As per uzual. . . .Hurtz. . . . . .)

AND. . .at the current rate of immigration, we shall be speaking Polish, and Gujurati / Urdu / Hindustani,. . .which is not aproblem, as I speak fluent French, some Spanish ( enough to get by anyway ) a bit of Jerman. . .a tiny bit of Japanese and NO Chinese at all. . . .It's all grist for the mill. Now I'm semi retired,,. . .I'm learning \Urdu / Bangladeshi / Hindi / and some Pashtun,( Afghanistani ) . . .as I've always been interested in languages,. and my local Council is paying £150.00 per hour for interpreters. . . . .In Birmingham, they are paying £250.00 per hour. . .nice work, D'yer know any Bush pilots earning that sort of dosh ?

So, Phil, will you be translating into faultless English....or will you throw convention out the window like the rest of the world, and proceed to mangle into half a dozen langwidges by going the other way?

For years, Americans have called petrol 'gas' (gasoline). If petrol is gas, what do they call LPG?

My 'Mental' ( ? ) Pre takeoff list, ( If there isn't one i the aeroplane dash drawer, . . .OR I've forgotten my own. . .) as taught to me by that Wonderful Gentleman Alan Basket ( Casey Airfiled - Berwick Vic, ) [ And ignoring the ex RAF Instructor with whom I flew from the age of 7 Yrs in the UK , who didn't teach me anything other than, 'Switches On - Contact' ] was TMPFISCHH. . .something I never forgot,and one that I still remember when I fly a fixed wing G.A appliance. Why ?. . .because it works. This one for a NON- fuel injected aircraft. . . ( C-150 ? / PA28 - etc. . . )

By this time, your engine should be running nicely. . . .and you have managed to taxy to the appropriate end of the runway that you intend to use. . . . .

T- Throttle friction Finger tight

T- Trim, Neutral

M- Magnetos on Both

P- Primer - closed, and locked

P- Propeller- pitch -full fine ( even in an appliance with a fixed pitch prop. . . )

F- Fuel ON, contents sufficient for flight (PRE visually checked, (if not, get out and bloody DO IT ! ). . . correct tank selected, Fuel Pump ( if fitted ) ON.

I - Instruments, Check (L to R) Set gyro, set Alt to QFE/QNH - check Gyro suction, set ADI to compass, set radio to correct frequency and set secondary if known.

( Check that undercarriage is selected to 'Down' ( !) ( Only joking i- shouldadone that before you started the bugger - don't larf, I've sat in a Baron, on the deck, with the gear selector set to 'Retracted' )

S - Switches, Check the mags independently, . . .note any rev drop between the two. Ifthe rev drop is out of order,. . .return to dispersal and get out. Check every other switch that you need 'ON'. . strobes, Nav lights. . .etc. . .

S - Security, check all loose articles are stowed.

C - Controls. Check for full and free movement of all control surfaces and that they move in in the correct sense. . . Set Flaps for takeoff.

H - Hatches and Harnesses ( including passengers ) are correctly fitted, worn and secure.

This checklist remains burned into my brain, and I'm sure that you worthies will add a few items, and I don't mind that,. . .this CL has kept mealive for a very long time. ( I hope that Dutchroll doesn't print a PTC for a 'Heavy' as I'm sure it would take up Several Column inches. . . .( When I was flying DC3 cargo, the list included a few more things, but the basic checklist is gold. . . . I dunno about these Jettie thingummies, but I'll bet that there are a coupla guys on here who could show us a 'Slightly more complex' one . . .my Mate Dave Perry ( no relation, but I taught him to fly many years ago,. . .Captain on Airbus A320s ATM, Ex, B767, flies for Thomas Cook. . .showed me some of the buggeration required before you even THINK of moving a large'ish jet aircraft from the terminal. . . .

This is the stuff of heroes. . . . .

( Remember, the USA Pre takeoff checklist is :. . .C.I.G.A.R.S. That's it.

I wonder if that's why so many of them crash ?)

I don't know for sure,, but I think this means, Controls, Instruments, Gas, Altimmeter, Radio, S, ? maybe security ?. . .dunno. . . where is SR Pilot when we need you Joe ? ? ?

So, Phil, will you be translating into faultless English....or will you throw convention out the window like the rest of the world, and proceed to mangle into half a dozen langwidges by going the other way?

Bob. . .on many of the blogs and forums I use,. . .I am always accused of repeated mangleisationalism of the Inglish language. . .and I enjoy this most pleasantarily.

Can't feck it oop, nor especially remove the Pyse,. . . if you down't know it fairly well in't fustplace me olde cobber . . . .I DO like answering commenters in their own regional accents though,. . .InT' Nurth of England,. . . I Luurve to say things like,. . .Eh Up Auwld Lad. . ., Owd the 'orses . . .Ah were in Baghdad, afore you was in Dad's bag. . . .

'An stoof like that tha' knows ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wasna sae much referrin tae the flashin o yer vernaculars...twas more the mix o' igrance, hubris & google translate what leads folk nowadays tae translate....or so they thinks...from their native. Summat the professionals once never did......fae reasons sadly evident nowadays........