To all Lower Case People

Ron5335

My 'Mental' ( ? ) Pre takeoff list, ( If there isn't one i the aeroplane dash drawer, . . .OR I've forgotten my own. . .) as taught to me by that Wonderful Gentleman Alan Basket ( Casey Airfiled - Berwick Vic, ) [ And ignoring the ex RAF Instructor with whom I flew from the age of 7 Yrs in the UK , who didn't teach me anything other than, 'Switches On - Contact' ] was TMPFISCHH. . .something I never forgot,and one that I still remember when I fly a fixed wing G.A appliance. Why ?. . .because it works. This one for a NON- fuel injected aircraft. . . ( C-150 ? / PA28 - etc. . . )By this time, your engine should be running nicely. . . .and you have managed to taxy to the appropriate end of the runway that you intend to use. . . . .

T- Throttle friction Finger tight

T- Trim, Neutral

M- Magnetos on Both

P- Primer - closed, and locked

P- Propeller- pitch -full fine ( even in an appliance with a fixed pitch prop. . . )

F- Fuel ON, contents sufficient for flight (PRE visually checked, (if not, get out and bloody DO IT ! ). . . correct tank selected, Fuel Pump ( if fitted ) ON.

I - Instruments, Check (L to R) Set gyro, set Alt to QFE/QNH - check Gyro suction, set ADI to compass, set radio to correct frequency and set secondary if known.

( Check that undercarriage is selected to 'Down' ( !) ( Only joking i- shouldadone that before you started the bugger - don't larf, I've sat in a Baron, on the deck, with the gear selector set to 'Retracted' )

S - Switches, Check the mags independently, . . .note any rev drop between the two. Ifthe rev drop is out of order,. . .return to dispersal and get out. Check every other switch that you need 'ON'. . strobes, Nav lights. . .etc. . .

S - Security, check all loose articles are stowed.

C - Controls. Check for full and free movement of all control surfaces and that they move in in the correct sense. . . Set Flaps for takeoff.

H - Hatches and Harnesses ( including passengers ) are correctly fitted, worn and secure.

This checklist remains burned into my brain, and I'm sure that you worthies will add a few items, and I don't mind that,. . .this CL has kept mealive for a very long time. ( I hope that Dutchroll doesn't print a PTC for a 'Heavy' as I'm sure it would take up Several Column inches. . . .( When I was flying DC3 cargo, the list included a few more things, but the basic checklist is gold. . . . I dunno about these Jettie thingummies, but I'll bet that there are a coupla guys on here who could show us a 'Slightly more complex' one . . .my Mate Dave Perry ( no relation, but I taught him to fly many years ago,. . .Captain on Airbus A320s ATM, Ex, B767, flies for Thomas Cook. . .showed me some of the buggeration required before you even THINK of moving a large'ish jet aircraft from the terminal. . . .

This is the stuff of heroes. . . . .

( Remember, the USA Pre takeoff checklist is :. . .C.I.G.A.R.S. That's it.

I wonder if that's why so many of them crash ?)

I don't know for sure,, but I think this means, Controls, Instruments, Gas, Altimmeter, Radio, S, ? maybe security ?. . .dunno. . . where is SR Pilot when we need you Joe ? ? ?

On a slightly more serious note. Reason's model, using the Swiss cheese idea, means that the more complex it is (procedurally , mechanically, or even electrically), the more likely it is that it will stuff up or be stuffed up.

Keeping it as simple as possible, will give your best chance of it not stuffing up. To try to prevent accidents, you can add more layers of "cheese" (processes or redundancy), but the reality is that fewer layers of QUALITY "cheese" is better than heaps of layers of crap "cheese".*

I have worked for some of the biggest aircraft manufacturers in the world, and more layers of process seem to have become the "norm", we have so many processes now that most errors and violations are procedural.

Apologies for seriousness on light hearted topic....Deskbound producers of procedure in abundance for no good reason bring out the agro in me. (and the law says I'm not allowed to commit violence against them)

• Agree 3

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 'Mental' ( ? ) Pre takeoff list, ( If there isn't one i the aeroplane dash drawer, . . .OR I've forgotten my own. . .) as taught to me by that Wonderful Gentleman Alan Basket ( Casey Airfiled - Berwick Vic, ) [ And ignoring the ex RAF Instructor with whom I flew from the age of 7 Yrs in the UK , who didn't teach me anything other than, 'Switches On - Contact' ] was TMPFISCHH. . .something I never forgot,and one that I still remember when I fly a fixed wing G.A appliance. Why ?. . .because it works. This one for a NON- fuel injected aircraft. . . ( C-150 ? / PA28 - etc. . . )

I learnt the same checklist. The other one I still remember some 30 years after last flight is the pre startup check list.

Harness & Hatches

Brake On

Controls free and clear

Circuit breakers and Switches checked

Fuel tank selected, boost pump on

Battery master switch on

Instruments correct

Directional gyro set to compass

I was taught a nonsensical saying to remember it - Harry Beats Charlie, Charlie Fights Back In Defence - HBCCFBID.

• More 1

Why is everything ' brand new ' , used to be just ' new ' in my day .... Maybe I'm just gettin' old and grumpy......Bob. 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

If you have teenage or Gen-Y kids you would understand that they are a Brand conscious generation 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif017_happy_dance.gif.0eaf164edce841fcf33c63554cb89cd7.gif017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

*Embarrassed giggle*

Sorry folks,. . I posted that not just in the wrong thread, but the wrong Site. .! ( Pre-typed and copied. . ) Had this site / thread on another tab, and the computer brainfarted. This is why it had absolutely nothing to do with 'Lowercase People' just in case you wondered if I gone madder than I already admit to . . . .

( Mind you,. ..quite a LOT of a Printed checklist is in lowercase. . .? )

Apologies to Ron5335 for buggering up your thread Sir. . .

Hey Blud. . . .You Da Man

Not what I meant, Phil. There will be some dialectic changes locally and withing closed groups, but I'm talking about the development of the universally understood lingua franca. We've come a good way along the parth to universality. I believe that it is now possible for a Yorkshireman to carry on a conversation with a Geordie and for both to reach the same wrong conclusions about the topic.

OME

Not what I meant, Phil. There will be some dialectic changes locally and withing closed groups, but I'm talking about the development of the universally understood lingua franca. We've come a good way along the parth to universality. I believe that it is now possible for a Yorkshireman to carry on a conversation with a Geordie and for both to reach the same wrong conclusions about the topic.OME

Oo..oo........an ya know the definition o' a Yorkshireman?

E's a Scotsman, wi' all the generosity squeezed oota 'im.....)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oo..oo........an ya know the definition o' a Yorkshireman?E's a Scotsman, wi' all the generosity squeezed oota 'im.....)

Hey what's with the yorkshirephobia?

although my Yorkshire father does say:

“Ear all, see all, say nowt;

Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt;

And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt -

Allus do it fer thissen”

also

Yorkshire born and Yorkshire bred, strong in't arm weak in't head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All those words could be written with an i ... cri, dri, bi, mi etc. So the y is a vowel in this case. It is not always a vowel, eg in year.

So, if a nonvowel can be replaced by another letter that's a vowel, then it's an honorary vowel?

Prs xplyn?

• Agree 1

Dunno about any other letter IBob, but the letter Y can indeed be both a consonant and a vowel, depending on the word.

Don't blame me, I didn't make up English spelling.

There was an Australian model plane mag where the editor actually used Spelling Reform 1, which was to have the letter E more consistent.

So you red a book before you went to bed.

Great try but it failed. Personally, while I agreed with the theory, I didn't like it very much in practice.

Dunno about any other letter IBob, but the letter Y can indeed be both a consonant and a vowel, depending on the word.Don't blame me, I didn't make up English spelling.

There was an Australian model plane mag where the editor actually used Spelling Reform 1, which was to have the letter E more consistent.

So you red a book before you went to bed.

Great try but it failed. Personally, while I agreed with the theory, I didn't like it very much in practice.

Yonks ago there was a spelling reform system called Unifon. Apparently those kids who learned to read using this system before learning standard English spelling tended to learn faster than the poor buggers who had to start with the nonsensical standard system.

Unifon - Wikipedia

Yes, English has crazy bits, but what about the poor Chinese kids?They should be 3 years behind our kids with their ancient hieroglyphic writing.

Why don't they start using our alphabet I wonder.

"Chinese characters number in the tens of thousands, though most of them are minor graphic variants encountered only in historical texts. Studies in China have shown that functional literacy in written Chinese requires a knowledge of between three and four thousand characters"

source: Chinese characters - Wikipedia

That makes our inconsistencies look like a piece of cake.

Yes, English has crazy bits, but what about the poor Chinese kids?They should be 3 years behind our kids with their ancient hieroglyphic writing.

Why don't they start using our alphabet I wonder.

I used to think that, but their script seems to actually be pretty efficient-

An interesting discussion:

Is reading Chinese more efficient than reading English? - Quora