Is this considered a Serviceable or Unserviceable aircraft condition?

306699706_PortHorizontalStabiliserSupportStrutNutAndBolt-Copy(2).jpg.37dac3bca34c2cb6b0d57c5d39f369d5.jpg G'day All. Just wondering if I might be able to ask the views of the panel? Long story short, I'm an ex GA pilot looking to get into recreational aircraft, with the goal of eventually building my own. Tail-end of last year I Googled flying schools in the area and decided to go out and have a squiz and a yarn. Being new to RA, I'm not too sure on the rules and regulations for the different registrations, but one of the aircraft triggered a "What The Fark !?...Mob of Dodgy Can'ts!" response. Just wondering if this is considered a serviceable or unserviceable condition, and common for RAAus aircraft?

Also, the corroded Flaperon hanger assembly did not appear to have any bearing or bush fitted, so the whole mechanism wobbled like an Elvis impersonator with Parkison's. Is this normal?

Cheers

1250517357_AileronTorqueTubeHangerStarboardSide-Copy(2).jpg.de26f23b44961029b6d468ea4de0cb82.jpg

97561041_Prop5-Copy(2).jpg.ad1dead88decb9a4f5a7029c54b2ba24.jpg

604634542_Prop2-Copy(2).jpg.a4e065a9025cdd9d4899ffe806e8a428.jpg

381160635_StarboardWingTankArea-Copy(2).jpg.ecb98f801d81ffee9a913fd18728d29f.jpg

83719333_PortMainGearBrakeLine2-Copy.jpg.d3c5c8400d2dad5e83cf2c52f6b3a821.jpg

1290873667_HorizontalStabiliserForwardAttachmentBolt-Copy(2).jpg.bc79e9a269cd97b1f2dca870c4038e6d.jpg

1509002571_DrainPlugLockwireLocatedBehindNoseWheelAssembly-Copy(2).jpg.a533588386215ef602f4380a046765fe.jpg

1921855920_PortMainGearCastellatedNutAssemblyFineGaugeLockwire-Copy.jpg.d9c297d018a1ff3c8a382971da5d8b9c.jpg

1640349890_PortWingAileronAttachmentAssembly-Copy(2).jpg.0cea808596b13cc9f6388a8f04c7ef13.jpg

472047190_Prop3-Copy(2).jpg.af34fb2f21291a0338c7a325a01d1fc3.jpg

1854592868_PortWingRearAttachmentBoltAndNut-Copy.jpg.987a94e9b20450fc0df73ff195c2e10e.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Have a LAME friend who says RAA is full of death traps.

Told my mrs that I should not build an aircraft because its too dangerous to maintain yourself

Pics like this make it hard to argue.

Aircraft like this do nothing but harm to the hobby/pastime and make it harder for everyone who wants to build and

.maintain their own aircraft.

24 reg so probably owner is L2

Makes me cranky

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

I Have a LAME friend who says RAA is full of death traps.Told my mrs that I should not build an aircraft because its too dangerous to maintain yourself

Aircraft like this do nothing but harm to the hobby/pastime and make it harder for everyone who wants to build and

.maintain their own aircraft.

Makes me cranky

I get the feeling RAAUS was 'invented' to make CASA look good ;-)

I can't speak for RA Aus a/c, but there are some permit a/c in the UK that apparently suffer the same problem. A friend of mine is a LAA inspector and some a/c he has seen has made him shudder with fear (first at the thought of what may happen and then second at the thought of the response when he revokes the permit).

But, I hasten to add, as a CoA flyer, there are a fair share of licensed engineering outfits that are no better. I wa never happy with the work done on my shareoplane and there was always something that had to bi fixed after it went in for its 50/100/annual, including a stuck flap cable when there was no problem with it before it went in. I also believe there was a recent fatal accident in the US in which the engineering firm fraudulently signed off work that hadn't been done which directly contributed to the accident.

Let's hope it is in the minority.

That's scarey! What's the condition of other parts like which are hidden from view, as if this is not bad enough?

The facebook photo looks like a posed job to me. The young lass is in the l/h seat, probably not old enough to fly yet anyway, and no control stick to be seen. Maybe she's just sitting in it waiting for the ramp check man?

Send the photos and rego to the tech manager, he'll be right on it. You just might save a life, if it is still in use. I would not hesitate to call attention to such a poorly maintained aircraft. Perhaps though it is just sitting in a hangar rotting away. Did you see if it is registered or not ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I Have a LAME friend who says RAA is full of death traps.Told my mrs that I should not build an aircraft because its too dangerous to maintain yourself

I'd prefer to maintain something myself than have a LAME sign off on an annual with some of the photos I've seen of corrosion that was found as part of the Cessna SIDS program, on apparently 'airworthy' aircraft! There is nothing intrinsically wrong with maintaining an aircraft, or boat or car, yourself, so long as you recognise the limitations of your knowledge and skills and seek help when required. For RV's, there is the VansAirForce website, for KR's there is KRNet, and I'm sure a whole host of other type-specific forums where expert advice may be sought to help you. ISTR Canada even allow you to maintain and sign the MR for a range of certified GA aircraft yourself under an "owner-maintenance" scheme.Besides, the feeling when you realise you're at 10,000' flying in something you built in your back shed is both incredibly satisfying and momentarily terrifying and gives you great bragging rights at work!004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

You are all getting carried away...there is no one saying that it is flying that I have read..it's probably some old piece of crap lying around in someone's hangar long forgotten...settle down everyone..get some facts first..

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 18

G'day All. Just wondering if I might be able to ask the views of the panel? Long story short, I'm an ex GA pilot looking to get into recreational aircraft, with the goal of eventually building my own. Tail-end of last year I Googled flying schools in the area and decided to go out and have a squiz and a yarn. Being new to RA, I'm not too sure on the rules and regulations for the different registrations, but one of the aircraft triggered a "What The Fark !?...Mob of Dodgy Can'ts!" response. Just wondering if this is considered a serviceable or unserviceable condition, and common for RAAus aircraft?

Also, the corroded Flaperon hanger assembly did not appear to have any bearing or bush fitted, so the whole mechanism wobbled like an Elvis impersonator with Parkison's. Is this normal?

N S S S CASA GA rules apply to all air craft more info is required it is a 24 reg aircraft by the number take your arse out their and bloody well report that death trap or are you to bloody scared to report and hide behind photos

good advertising for self maintenance neil

• Informative 1

You are all getting carried away...there is no one saying that it is flying that I have read..it's probably some old piece of crap lying around in someone's hangar long forgotten...settle down everyone..get some facts first.David

I agree with David that the aeroplane is most likely to be an abandoned love child. That would account for the visible corrosion; fabric damage and what appears to be hangar rash to the brake fluid line.

Let's look at the story on the assumption that the aeroplane has been sitting unloved.

1. If it has been sitting for years, as the corrosion suggests, then its maintenance release would have expired. Therefore, it needs a thorough inspection before being released as airworthy.

2. As a result of the inspection, the many faults recorded in these photographs would be rectified - some with a wire brush and paint, others with component replacement.

3. The worst failure I can see is the way the safety wiring has been done on the prop bolts. Upgrading the skill set of the person who did it should only take about half an hour, including theory, demonstration and practical.

4. There are bolts missing from the wheel hub - maybe they went off via a Midnight Spares incident. The function of the safety wire on the axle is indeterminate.

I agree with robinsm that it looks like it would be a good restoration project.

To answer NotSo's question ( Just wondering if this is considered a serviceable or unserviceable condition, and common for RAAus aircraft?) Yes it is unserviceable. Is it typical of RAA aircraft? No, the great majority of private owners and commercial operators lavish attention onto their aircraft. However, as in all activities, there are some owners and operators who believe that a machine does not need care and attention to operate forever.

OME

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

You are all getting carried away...there is no one saying that it is flying that I have read..it's probably some old piece of crap lying around in someone's hangar long forgotten...settle down everyone..get some facts first..David

are you trying to break the internet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I have seen some lousy GA planes and some excellent RAAus planes, and vice versa.

If in doubt don't go near it. A plane used for training should leave no lingering doubts as to its airworthiness. A private plane may look a bit scruffy and in need of a wash, but there shouldn't be any corrosion or obvious problems visible.

The plane with the girl seated is a 24 reg, so it could be used for training. Is it all the same plane?

I Have a LAME friend who says RAA is full of death traps.

I would like to see your LAME friends evidence, and a few photo's of a poorly maintained plane does not do that without much more information.

Told my mrs that I should not build an aircraft because its too dangerous to maintain yourself

Rubbish. If you were capable of building a plane safely and to a suitable standard you would be capable of maintaining it.

maintain their own aircraft.

More rubbish. Pics like this without context show nothing.

And again rubbish. Why would the owner be an L2 just because it is a 24 Rego.

You do not need to be an L2 to buy, fly or maintain a 24 rego aircraft.

It only needs to be maintained by an L2 if it is going to be used for hire.

This thread and many of the posts appear to me to be an excuse to bag RAA without proof or reason.

I have no problem bagging someone or an organisation if there is evidence to show but I don't see any here.

There is not even any evidence to show that the photos in the OP are even the same aircraft as shown in Post #6.

But then lets not let facts get in the way of a good story.

Seems that some posters on this thread could be touting for a job with Packer Press

• Like 3
  • Agree 12

I have seen some lousy GA planes and some excellent RAAus planes, and vice versa.If in doubt don't go near it. A plane used for training should leave no lingering doubts as to its airworthiness. A private plane may look a bit scruffy and in need of a wash, but there shouldn't be any corrosion or obvious problems visible.

The plane with the girl seated is a 24 reg, so it could be used for training. Is it all the same plane?

It is the same plane. At the time the photos were taken it was on line at a flying school. It was still flying as of last weekend.