Air Charter crashes at Essendon

I have visions of the relatives of a hypothetical family suing a council after they get killed when the front tyre of the car blows and they crash into a concrete culvert off to the side of the road.

"Well if the council hadn't built the concrete culvert there, they might not have died."

What a can of worms that type of litigation will open.

• Informative 1

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have visions of the relatives of a hypothetical family suing a council after they get killed when the front tyre of the car blows and they crash into a concrete culvert off to the side of the road."Well if the council hadn't built the concrete culvert there, they might not have died."

Isn't that normal practice in the USA?

I did hear that but it was only one reporter and once, previous to that they had it correct which is why I gave them an ok. They at least seemed to be trying to have correct information and had zero baggage handlers as experts.

No... the ABC interviewed some anti-airport folks extensively and no-one with an alternative view that I saw. IMO the ABC is the worst of the lot with regard to accuracy.

• Agree 3

Accuracy in reporting incidents is secondary to getting the story out quickly. Once they have their story they use all sorts of video backup. In a bushfire incident they will show some footage of the actual bushfire and then video of firetrucks & firefighters which could be from any fire and usually the reporter borrows a fire fighters jacket well away from the scene for greater visual effect.

I saw one report of this incident that had a graphic of an aircraft taking off from runway 26 when it should have shown from runway 17, then the grainy dashcam image just before impact immediately followed by video of the fire & witness accounts. Only partially correct but it doesn't matter to them, it just backs up their often inaccurate story as well. It's just the old often quoted adage of "never let the truth get in the way of a good story". The general public will forget about it immediately after seeing it and they don't care if it is correct anyway.

• Agree 1

Trees on the sides of roads are taken into consideration when Armco etc is provided. People dodge animals and go off the road and hit trees and die. The trees don't cause the accident but affect the outcome of the situation when the vehicle goes off the road. Nev

I have visions of the relatives of a hypothetical family suing a council after they get killed when the front tyre of the car blows and they crash into a concrete culvert off to the side of the road."Well if the council hadn't built the concrete culvert there, they might not have died."

Councils work to INternational and Australian standards and have compliance and protocols in place.

Even an uneven footpath joint is ground down according to a roster of urgency after a report or observation.

When someone contravenes a zoning or standard, it's a different matter.

Don't worry about it; it will all work out.

Given the number of ridiculous cases I have seen awarded payouts for stupidity (including your previously posted quad bike case), I don't think it does work out, and it is very worrying.

• Agree 1

It's interesting that quite a number of people on this site regularly crucify the press and other media for getting the slightest aviation detail wrong, and yet when it comes to Planning or Public Liability Law, anything goes.

"Strategy can compensate for lack of talent but talent never compensates for lack of strategy."

I like this; do you know who said it first?

• More 1

• 1 month later...

It is interesting that there was no CVR content from that flight... only a flight on January 3rd.

I will look forward to evidence on propeller pitch functionality.

• Agree 2

Re Red's post this page "The aerial view in my post #31 shows the proposed location of the hotel and private hospital planned for Essendon Fields in the lower left corner. These are well away from the runways."

The following link from Aunty Pru shows a photo of a vineyard in situ at Essendon Fields. Is this a new vineyard or an old photo with the vineyard now removed? Photo is about halfway down the Pru page.

Just wondering.

Regards

John

‘’Tis a muddle,’ | AuntyPru.com : Home of PAIN :

JEM, It would appear to be a fairly recent addition. The imagery below is dated 2017, and shows the area above the runup bays (B) as uncultivated, but it has the "ESSENDON FiELDS" logo (A) , visible in the photo in your post, emblazoned across the ground. No evidence of repairs to DFO or fire marks on the ground behind it, so my guess is the Google Earth image was taken this year, but prior to the accident. This leaves a narrow window for planting of the vineyard.

Essendon_Fields_2017.jpg.ea6466a03ecaff1f4cfdea74f2d6285f.jpg

Interesting that it attempted take-off with a 5kt tail wind. I assume this is within accepted performance parameters.

It is interesting that there was no CVR content from that flight... only a flight on January 3rd.I will look forward to evidence on propeller pitch functionality.

Yes, that the engines were both 'turning' doesn't say that they were necessarily developing thrust.

• Agree 2

Yes, that the engines were both 'turning' doesn't say that they were necessarily developing thrust.

And that could explain the longer than normal take-off roll...

I would have said it looks like the pilot had a heart attack, but the mayday call makes that doubtful.What a puzzling thing.

Interesting to pose a theory and then discount it in the same message :-)

Multiple maydays in just a few seconds do question, what if any, level of incapacitation could have occurred..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

And that could explain the longer than normal take-off roll...

I would've thought the 5 knots tailwind would explain the longer than normal takeoff roll. Just a few knots tailwind can extend your takeoff ground roll significantly (for only 5 knots, by 20% or more depending on the aircraft). It also reduces your climb angle.

• Agree 3