Pilot injured in SA

Firstly he’s safe; I wish all accidents were like this. Secondly do you want us to analyse this accident seriously and embarass the hell out of him?

Why would he have to be embarrassed by a bunch of bighead know-it-alls mouthing off making assumptions about it? A man loses his aircraft and you make fun of it. I hope it never happens to you

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it was a proposition, notice the question mark, along with some hard earned examples to possibly explain some people's background's as to why they can find a position of humor in situations with good outcomes (relative).

Actually it was a proposition, notice the question mark, along with some hard earned examples to possibly explain some people's background's as to why they can find a position of humor in situations with good outcomes (relative).

It's OK to laugh at yourself, but not have clowns laughing at you. The man has lost his aeroplane through a mechanical fault and deserves a bit of sympathy not a lot of stupid smartarse, "how good am I ?" remarks. I'm disgusted with the lot of you.

No wonder Nicola Sturgeon is such a sourpuss, eh.....Mind you, the other lot would have done the same if they'd got the chance.

Yes, the other lot were in the process of doing it, outnumbered or not, but the practice of picking up unwanted cutlery along the way to the battle, for the cannonade, and being drilled to kneel down when you were reloading your musket, and bayoneting the man to your right whose ribcage was exposed, and the extra reach of the bayonet compared to the Claymore marked the end of the clan system and the start of the British Empire.

It's OK to laugh at yourself, but not have clowns laughing at you. The man has lost his aeroplane through a mechanical fault and deserves a bit of sympathy not a lot of stupid smartarse, "how good am I ?" remarks. I'm disgusted with the lot of you.

What was the mechanical fault Ausstork?

some of those chickens can be quite vicious...and why does the media talk BS? because that's what they do! even if they know the truth they will change it to something more dramatic

and this big headed know-it-all clown suggests if you don't like what you're reading here, stop looking at it....

I'm just sayin'

BP

PS as my dear old granny used to say - don't go away angry - just go away

• Agree 1

I'm with Bexr-B on this. As long as the pilot is OK, humor is fine.

You gonna donate towards the $30,000 replacement of his aeroplane

With every activity that involves a major chance of head injury, the person wears a crash helmet. Every test pilot and fighter pilot wears a crash helmet. As aircraft got faster and more nimble during WW2, helmets improved to offer better head and neck protection. Even wearing a helmet whilst riding a bicycle is proven to reduce head injuries. If you want better head protection in the even of crashing your aircraft, you're well advised to wear a helmet.As regards the attempts at humour after the crash - the pilot survived with minor injuries, and half of Australia is always ready for some "black humour" after an NDE where the person survives without any serious injury.

I've survived pouring boiling water over my groin area (whilst only wearing jocks), with devastating results - yet probably 90% of the blokes I told the story to, thought it was hilarious.

I thought otherwise, having suffered agonising pain and an extended recovery period - but to all those other people, burning your family jewels only meant hilarity.

I can understand their point of view, they didn't experience the event - but I didn't get angry at them, it all comes back to perspective - and black humour is pretty common.

With every activity that involves a major chance of head injury, the person wears a crash helmet. Every test pilot and fighter pilot wears a crash helmet. As aircraft got faster and more nimble during WW2, helmets improved to offer better head and neck protection. Even wearing a helmet whilst riding a bicycle is proven to reduce head injuries. If you want better head protection in the even of crashing your aircraft, you're well advised to wear a helmet.As regards the attempts at humour after the crash - the pilot survived with minor injuries, and half of Australia is always ready for some "black humour" after an NDE where the person survives without any serious injury.

I've survived pouring boiling water over my groin area (whilst only wearing jocks), with devastating results - yet probably 90% of the blokes I told the story to, thought it was hilarious.

I thought otherwise, having suffered agonising pain and an extended recovery period - but to all those other people, burning your family jewels only meant hilarity.

I can understand their point of view, they didn't experience the event - but I didn't get angry at them, it all comes back to perspective - and black humour is pretty common.

Do you realize the blokes you told your injury to, were your mates? you're not his mate. You're a complete stranger. A faceless print on the internet. You don't have the right to sling off at him.

I'm disgusted with the lot of you.

My remarks are based on, and specific to, years of comradeship with other members of this forum. I feel I have a feel for what are the limits and sure, I may read the scenario wrong and occasionally step over those limits in which case other regular Members or a Moderator will berate me and for which I will pull my head in.

Otherwise I'm not having someone who's been a member for years and can't manage to have a single post here ever, telling me how to behave here.

You gonna donate towards the $30,000 replacement of his aeroplane.

There ain't $30K worth of damage to that plane, not even close, and if he was uninsured, well that's a choice out of anyone here's hands.

But yes, to answer your question, there is a lot of generous people in this world, you would be surprised at how many of the members here would come to his aid with money, materials and time if he asked, including this "Dickhead".

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

There could easily be 30k of damage to the plane it is impossible to tell from that photo to say otherwise is an assumption based on nothing. However you could buy another one for less than that. I suggest you request the contact details so you guys can make your donations.

If you want better head protection in the even of crashing your aircraft, you're well advised to wear a helmet.

A good fitting,quality helmet may well give better head protection in the event of crashing your aircraft, but it may well break your neck, at impact, as the mass of the helmet and your head will continue traveling in that direction,unless restrained.

Frank.

• Agree 1

No safety device is perfect in every situation - but the suggestion that helmets can lead to an increase in broken necks is not supported by the stats.

If that were the case, where are the hundreds of high-speed bike crash victims (including bike racing) that have broken necks? The stats show a major increase in survivability chances when a helmet is worn.

Light aircraft interior design is simply way behind the curve for increased occupant protection with each new design.

If aircraft designers paid increased attention to interior padding, to a reduction of the number of sharp-edged components, and improved seating - the same as motor vehicle designers have done since the late 1960's, we might see more light aircraft crash survivors.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

No safety device is perfect in every situation - but the suggestion that helmets can lead to an increase in broken necks is not supported by the stats..

I didn`t say "an increase in broken necks" This is exactly what I did say..."A good fitting,quality helmet may well give better head protection in the event of crashing your aircraft, but it may well break your neck, at impact, as the mass of the helmet and your head will continue traveling in that direction,unless restrained."...As far as I`m concerned,that`s a fact and everyone needs to be aware of what I`ve said, when making a decision on wearing a helmet.

As for the stats! You`ve talked about "crashing your aircraft" ...For the types of aircraft that most of us recreational pilots fly, show me the stats where wearing a helmet has definitely saved the pilots life,when crashing their aircraft... If not all, almost all crashes are fatal, on impact.

I`m not opposed to anyone choosing to wear a helmet, when flying...I choose not to.

Frank.

• Agree 1

There could easily be 30k of damage to the plane it is impossible to tell from that photo to say otherwise is an assumption based on nothing. However you could buy another one for less than that. I suggest you request the contact details so you guys can make your donations.

Whether there's $1k or $100K damage, the only thing that is going to change anything is whether or not you can have a joke and a laugh about it. Cracking a big wobbly wont do anything to help anything at all.

Why are we becoming a nation of precious upstarts that cant even tolerate a bit of humour?

No-one was even poking fun at the pilot, they were just having a joke about what the media said.

Hell, I've had divorces that cost way more than that, and all you can do to stay sane is joke about it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 3

You also cut yourself off from quite a bit of sensory awareness, the more you wear about your head. Hearing. peripheral vision ability to move your head etc. It's not all plusses and we don't fly fast pre and WW2 fighter planes often which have much higher levels of "ground" high force (inertia) events likely. Safety measures have to be effective and well proven before strong recommendations or rules should be made about their implementation..Nev

• Agree 1

You also cut yourself off from quite a bit of sensory awareness, the more you wear about your head. Hearing. peripheral vision ability to move your head etc. It's not all plusses and we don't fly fast pre and WW2 fighter planes often which have much higher levels of "ground" high force (inertia) events likely. Safety measures have to be effective and well proven before strong recommendations or rules should be made about their implementation..Nev

If you were able to measure a drivers rectangle of vision and a pilot's rectangle of vision I thing the pilot would have a vastly greater rectangle.

I haven't had it referred to in those terms but you would not aid vision with a helmet. You usually have switches above and beside you in a plane, so a helmet would be a disadvantage with required head movements. I've worn them in a Drifter. Like everyone else where there's a wind issue and you might get hit by bugs. Nev

Comparing injuries from a motor bike accident with an aviation accident is irrelevant. When did you see a bike rider with a seat belt?

Usually the rider departs the bike. The pilot is restrained and the mass of the helmet acts on the kneck.

• Agree 1

older helmets were definitely poorly designed and constructed - a doctor once told me to leave the strap undone so it would fly off in an accident - he reckoned my chance of survival would be higher that way - he went on to say that a lot of fatal motorcycle accidents were caused by broken necks and he blamed that squarely on heavy helmets

these days most 'good' helmets are made of much lighter materials, the best ones are made of carbon fibre. the major problem is simply G forces to the brain - it doesn't matter how good the helmet is, if the head inside the helmet gets a 10G force applied to it (or a lot less I would imagine) the brain simply can't withstand that kind of punishment, mainly due to the fact that it is a squishy soft thing inside a bony structure

btw, as a Drifter driver I do wear a quality helmet (not the old white one in my avatar) - the thing that scares me about pranging in the Drifter is the removal of said head due to going through a barbed wire fence at speed, or a big level vertical impact that could damage the fuel tank located under the fuselage....

when it comes down to it, if you spend your life worrying about what might happen to you (people die falling off ladders!) then you'd never get out of bed!

BP

• Agree 1

did you hear that Massey Davidson riders are claiming loud exhausts are a safety factor? because other drivers can hear them so they know they are there? (coughs the word BS into fist)

if they want to be seen they should put a huge red strobe light on top of their helmets (like the ones on C17s - that would do it)

there's only one reason they want to make that damn noise and it has nothing to do with safety - a lot to do with "Wow look at me, I'm so TOUGH" I reckon

I'm just sayin'

BP

PS we live FIVE KILOMETRES from a main road and we hear those things every weekend - louder than trucks !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Bolero P. You should know that with all pushers or gliders, it's important to not go through a wire fence and to groundloop into wind (if there is one) before you get to the fence if you can't guarantee to clear it.. Nev

• Agree 2

older helmets were definitely poorly designed and constructed - a doctor once told me to leave the strap undone so it would fly off in an accident - he reckoned my chance of survival would be higher that way - he went on to say that a lot of fatal motorcycle accidents were caused by broken necks and he blamed that squarely on heavy helmets

Many people who wore helmets with the straps undone, which they picked up from movie heroes, suffered ugly injuries when the helmet, slightly departed from the head but skewed chewed into their skull.

I'm not sure how you would judge the g factor; much like the old story of putting your hand on the windscreen to save it from being shattered by oncoming stones; you never knew whether your hand saved the screen from a stone, or whether it shattered because the stone was too big. However, with the advent of full face helmets, which were flat on the bottom, high density foam "Horse Collars" which kept the spine stretched and restricted neck movement were introduced into racing in the 1970's and now there has the Head And Neck Support.

these days most 'good' helmets are made of much lighter materials, the best ones are made of carbon fibre. the major problem is simply G forces to the brain - it doesn't matter how good the helmet is, if the head inside the helmet gets a 10G force applied to it (or a lot less I would imagine) the brain simply can't withstand that kind of punishment, mainly due to the fact that it is a squishy soft thing inside a bony structure

Yes, that's the limiting factor, and the main strategy behind progressive crumple rate in cars. Early 4WD were prone to one or two unmarked bodies being found in the car, and that's been resolved by PCR. Bull Bars on Cars and Prime Movers are now required to move back at the same force as the original bumper.

btw, as a Drifter driver I do wear a quality helmet (not the old white one in my avatar) - the thing that scares me about pranging in the Drifter is the removal of said head due to going through a barbed wire fence at speed, or a big level vertical impact that could damage the fuel tank located under the fuselage....

when it comes down to it, if you spend your life worrying about what might happen to you (people die falling off ladders!) then you'd never get out of bed!

BP

You've even got a choice there, aim for the dropper.

A guy I`ve known for many years, owns and flies a WB Drifter...He wears a helmet with full face visor (not a full face helmet) and has flown off my property many times...On this particular day,he`d taken off, got to the point where he was committed to keep flying and a very large Dragon Fly went up under the visor and was fluttering all over his face...He said he was in a fair bit of difficulty trying to see where he was going, fly the plane and try to get the Dragon Fly out...Thankfully! it ended well.

One that didn`t end so well...I recall reading about an accident that occurred in the days of the AUF...This poor guy was on his first solo Nav exercise and if I recall correctly, he was flying a Drifter...He became so confused about where he was that he decided to get down low enough to try and look for some road signs, unfortunately, he hit a power line! He was wearing a helmet and the strap of the helmet cut his throat badly...He was fortunate to survive.

I tried a wearing a helmet when I started flying, didn`t like it for several reasons...Not enough up and down, left and right, head movement and the vision not good enough through a visor...I modified my windscreen so that the wind goes up over my head and I have clear vision in all the directions I need.

I often wonder how many forced landings end in disaster because of poor vision, either due to the design of the AC or other factors.

I rode motorbikes, on the highway for years without a helmet before they became compulsory and for years with a helmet after they became compulsory, didn`t like it there either, for much the same reasons, I`ve given above.

Frank.

• Like 1

Whether there's $1k or $100K damage, the only thing that is going to change anything is whether or not you can have a joke and a laugh about it.

The 30 K bit was in regard to a silly assumption someone made about the cost of the damage, try reading properly.

Cracking a big wobbly wont do anything to help anything at all..

I agree but who did that?

Why are we becoming a nation of precious upstarts that cant even tolerate a bit of humour?

Don't know, if you are talking about bad taste so called "humour" that might be it.

No-one was even poking fun at the pilot, they were just having a joke about what the media said..

That is incorrect the unfunny attempts at humour were made before the media error was pointed out.

Hell, I've had divorces that cost way more than that, and all you can do to stay sane is joke about it.

Good for you but that is way different to a bunch of people making "jokes" about someone's misfortune that they don't even know.

I wasn't going to bother to reply to this post but decided to after seeing how many people approve of this type of behaviour which I think is a sad reflection on the quality of this thread. Surely you could find something that is actually funny to make jokes about?

The answer to all this is would you like this to happen to you if the situation were reversed?

If one objects the common response is "Oh the world's coming to an awful end if we can't have OUR fun. Lighten up. Too much PC ness. etc".

We DO tend to laugh at other's misfortunes That's fairly common. We also like/tend to think it can't happen to ME. maybe that's defensive and a bit hopeful.

. They would do it too in PNG when someone lost their toes loading DC-3's when the load slid down hill.. (The floor slopes) Perhaps they don't these days. They might be a bit more enlightened.. I would hope so.

Pilots of all people should know there are situations that affect the safety of planes that one might have little control of. THAT could have happened to ME should be a more common reaction. This doesn't stop well deserved severe criticism of BAD airmanship or irresponsible breaking of rules, but that's another matter entirely, IF and when all facts are known. Nev