Pilot injured after aircraft clips Queensland house, crashes into yard

[ATTACH]53410[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]53411[/ATTACH] Kasper ,What is the "wing-loading" on a VTO aircraft when hovering?.

It doesn't really matter, as Hummel-Birds can be used for Photo-shoots, as per (what you call the pic on left)

I can only dream I'm up with the eagles, as I run a couple of litres through the motor!.

spacesailor

Neither a rotary wing nor a VTO aircraft will fit within 95.10, 95.32 or 95.55 so RAAus is not and never has been the group for those.

Sorry for Thread drift - it’s just that 95.10 vs 95.55 airframes should not in my opinion be compared on strength - neither group by requirement of the CAO is required to be of a specific strength and many airframes that can fit into 95.10 can at the option of the builder go under 95.55.

[ATTACH]53412[/ATTACH] But nobody I know has gone to 95-55.Dave King has his Rotax powered HummelBird in 19-95 rego.

And one trying for VH, but having a very hard time with CASA.

spacesailor

Sorry for continued thread drift.

There is no 19-95 CAO. If it’s got 19-on the side it’s under CAO95.55. If it’s got 10- or no leading 10 it’s under CAO95.10

Using Google Earth to measure the runway length, I get 1500 mts overall length, 1000 mts overall for the black surface and 920 mts from taxi entry point on 02.

For that type of aircraft the way I see it is, assuming the take-off was from the entry point on 02, there should have been enough runway ahead to abort and land if a reasonable climb rate wasn`t being held and if the climb rate was acceptable, the AC should have had more than enough hight, at the end of the runway, to clear the surrounding obstacles` safely.

Even allowing for wind sheer, I find it hard to see how the AC ended up where it did if the take-off was from the beginning of the runway.

Frank.

• Agree 1

Using Google Earth to measure the runway length, I get 1500 mts overall length, 1000 mts overall for the black surface and 920 mts from taxi entry point on 02.For that type of aircraft the way I see it is, assuming the take-off was from the entry point on 02, there should have been enough runway ahead to abort and land if a reasonable climb rate wasn`t being held and if the climb rate was acceptable, the AC should have had more than enough hight, at the end of the runway, to clear the surrounding obstacles` safely.

Even allowing for wind sheer, I find it hard to see how the AC ended up where it did if the take-off was from the beginning of the runway.

Frank.

Given Richard said in an earlier post, "There will be more to this crash than has been said." and others have agreed with him, I don't think it's worth trying to work out a logical reason for this. The story will be leaked one way or the other.

• Agree 1

Using Google Earth to measure the runway length, I get 1500 mts overall length, 1000 mts overall for the black surface and 920 mts from taxi entry point on 02.For that type of aircraft the way I see it is, assuming the take-off was from the entry point on 02, there should have been enough runway ahead to abort and land if a reasonable climb rate wasn`t being held and if the climb rate was acceptable, the AC should have had more than enough hight, at the end of the runway, to clear the surrounding obstacles` safely.

Frank.

It would appear he's short sheeted his take off; too lazy to taxi to the end of 02

The winds here are mostly between NE to SE and the strip is lined with high trees along its eastern side so you won't get any true wind indication till you get above tree height.

Below the "EXPERIMENTAL" sticker on the instrument panel should be "IF YOU HAVE 1000mts OF RUNWAY; USE IT!"

That said, glad to hear he's OK.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Below the "EXPERIMENTAL" sticker on the instrument panel should be "IF YOU HAVE 1000mts OF RUNWAY; USE IT!".

It appears you got my point! I wasn`t trying to work out the cause of the accident, I tried to show that if the take-off run had started from the beginning of 02 the result may have been a lot different.

It`s smarter and safer to use all available runway!

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

The main advantage of a long runway is IF something happens you can land on it straight ahead. Having trees along the boundary is a special case to consider. You can get some pretty interesting wind effects at times so I often got away from that effect as expeditiously as possible where I encountered it. I recall the strip at Tomago (Near Courtalds sp?)where the bushfire is now near Newcastle. Pretty rough ride till you get above the trees by a fair margin and you need to carry a bit of extra speed to make sure you have enough control and make sure you don't tangle with the trees, when they are really close to the strip edges. Nev

Hang on hang on ladies and gents when did you last do low level practice right next to a house. As was said I am glad he is okay but come on. I do a regular low level practice and a regular engine failure practice but never and I mean never near where folks might actually be.

• Like 1

I have flown one wing of my Drifter into a BIG thermal and it nearly turned me upside down - luckily I was over 2,000 feet so it wasn't a problem (apart from people asking me what the nasty smell was when I was putting the Drifter in the shed)...

I am unreservedly a Fair Weather Pilot - I would not even consider flying the Drifter in the middle of the day in summer - not fun, not comfortable, and more than a little dangerous

there are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

btw, my wife put a sticker on the dash of my Drifter after I flew a little too low over our house (on 34 acres) - it reads: SHOWOFFS DIE

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Ok, thanks M61A1, but that's a way back..

This poor chap has his plane written off. and he's injured. I doubt he did it on purpose or showing off. and we still don't know what happened.. Until we do............................... I wouldn't have wanted it to be me.

Bolero, Your wife must be a bit of a character . That's probably part of why you got together... Nev

hey facty, yeah she's a gem - just waved her off to work on her first day back after a month off - it's her last year - she's worked for the same mob for 38 years

she started there as a nursing sister and is now General Manager Corporate Services

I was skydiving when I met her and she has put up with my addiction to slipping the surly bonds for 47 years

when I was paragliding I had a mishap taking off and broke my leg badly (right leg was at 90 degrees half way between knee and ankle) = ouch

there was no way I was going to give up paragliding, it is without doubt the most magnificent way to fly - sharing a thermal with a huge wedgetailed eagle is one of the highlights of my life

Sue was in a terrible state whenever I went flying after the accident, it was the right thing to do to give it up and I'm happy I did it - then I bought a Drifter!

the heat in Brisbane is getting to us and after two weeks in Tassie we are seriously considering moving there in a couple of years time - I'm looking for a volunteer to fly the Drifter across Bass Strait for me...

cheers

BP

• Like 3