Boeing skids off runway in Turkey

Wow.Great result anyway.

No reports of any fatalities, so Yep.. . . Result ! . . . Reports of people panicking as the aircraft slid down the embankment toward the water,. . .. . .I doubt if My Wifey would have been overly impressed either ! Turks not having a good week by the look of it. . . late addtion to that link shows another Turkish flight, A330, slid off the runway end at Katmandhu. . . . No fatals fortunately. . .

Report says left engine torn from wing, while photo clearly shows it to be the right engine. Good outcome however.

Also notice in another report at the foot of the page that, for the third time in six months, an aircraft was cleared to land on a runway already occupied at San Francisco. Fortunately the plane was ordered to go around in time.

Report says left engine torn from wing, while photo clearly shows it to be the right engine. Good outcome however..

Depends if your looking at the plane from the front or rear as to which engine got torn off 096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif guessing that would make sense to some people out there.

Port red left . Starboard green right . ALWAYS. No confusion for aviation.

. That plane must have gone over the edge quite slowly. Very steep body angle to exit. Would have made that a bit difficult.. Nev

Port red left . Starboard green right . ALWAYS. No confusion for aviation.. That plane must have gone over the edge quite slowly. Very steep body angle to exit. Would have made that a bit difficult.. Nev

'A little red port left in the bottle ' is how I was taught to remember it.

• Agree 2

There is no red port left in my Bottle LOL

Aussie instructor said to me. . Port Red is awful stuff. . .that's why it's LEFT on the table. . . seems like a popular saying dunnit. . . .

It was at a pretty steep angle and the bank looked pretty much like soft rubble bulldozed there when the runway was built so the undercarriage & engines dug in to stop it sliding in to the sea. Red. Left, Port have fewer letters than Green, Right, Starboard. From a maritime perspective we "Left Port" to sail the ship. I like the alcohol analogy though.

If you want some maritime history - Port and starboard terminology originate from where the steering oar was placed.

As most people are right handed, the steering oar (or board) was on the right side, Steerboard - right.

Boats were then docked on the left side so as to not damage the steerboard, which meant the left side was the port side.

• Like 3
  • Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...
If you want some maritime history - Port and starboard terminology originate from where the steering oar was placed.As most people are right handed, the steering oar (or board) was on the right side, Steerboard - right.

Boats were then docked on the left side so as to not damage the steerboard, which meant the left side was the port side.

Very true, in fact a lot of aviation stuff originated from nautical history as when the flying machine was invented there where no standards as such to go on. I've always looked at left behind the leftist fruit loops the Greens, the nutters in our pilitical system to how can one get port & starboard confused?008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Very true, in fact a lot of aviation stuff originated from nautical history as when the flying machine was invented there where no standards as such to go on. I've always looked at left behind the leftist fruit loops the Greens, the nutters in our pilitical system to how can one get port & starboard confused?008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

You're going to get awfully confused then, the real nutters in the political system are firmly on the right.

You're going to get awfully confused then, the real nutters in the political system are firmly on the right.

Well we shall have to agree to disagree then, the leftist have ruined this country but that's for another forum!-:)

• Agree 1