Largest aircraft completes runway taxi test

red750

The world’s largest airplane, weighing more than 500,000 pounds and with a wingspan of 385 feet, may be the future’s most affordable and reliable way to carry satellites into space. This past Sunday, the Stratolaunch aircraft completed milestone land control tests, including a new runway taxi top-speed of 40kt.

strato-launch.jpg.b7dff0acf1543239179c068181e621b2.jpg

Impressive machine. Interesting that in the 70 years since the Spruce Goose was built we have only been able to increase wingspan by 20%

Mass is 67% heavier, but no doubt the performance from its 6 big engines will be way better than the 8 rather tiny piston engines in the Spruce Goose

No way those small rudders will control much asymmetry. Is that thing for real? Nev

It's real all right. I'm assuming that they've done all the aerodynamics & engineering, but it just looks wrong to me.

I guess it is just the farmer in me but I would love to see something else holding the two fuses together and not just that middle wing section.

Joining the Hor stab's would have been easy and given some strength and stability I would have thought.

• Agree 3

Yes, there will be a lot of bi-axial bending and torsion on that connecting spar that would have been greatly reduced if they'd just connected the tails together, but no doubt they have good reasons for doing it the way they did.

I guess it is just the farmer in me but I would love to see something else holding the two fuses together and not just that middle wing section.

Yes, but then again it's not their first time either ...

Joining the Hor stab's would have been easy and given some strength and stability I would have thought.

Yes, and I’m sure it would burn nicely once the rocket lights up! 111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif

Guest Guest

I was thinking the same thing, just looks all wrong! In some ways mankind hasn't changed a thing since the Wright Bros first left the ground!

I was thinking the same thing, just looks all wrong! In some ways mankind hasn't changed a thing since the Wright Bros first left the ground!

Well at least the WB had cross bracing