“We have added about 750 members to our ranks”

fly_tornado

AS I write this I am pondering the thoughts of directors aired at a board meeting on the weekend just gone. Many topics were discussed, ranging from the history of RAAus, the current standing of our organisation and where we are going. It’s been said to me that if we keep talking about the good old days then chances are our best days are behind us. I believe this statement to be true, but we do need to consider where we have come from and what has happened in the years gone by, in order to understand how we can successfully move into the future. For many years we had been in a position which allowed us to grow as an organisation and gain access to new rights and privileges.

We went from short hops across paddocks in some fairly rudimentary aircraft, to being able to access machines which can comfortably fly across the entire country. And somewhere along the way we got a little lost. While we were busy entering into new markets, we forgot to meet some of our existing obligations. We took our eye off the ball and the regulator started to take a closer look at us. In 2011 there was a series of adverse findings against us in CASA audits, which resulted in a significant safety alert being issued in late 2012. On top of this, we had a number of members facing off against the old system of disciplinary panels. We seemed to be at war with ourselves and others. It wasn’t working. Today, I am in the privileged position of being able to say we have corrected this lack of attention to detail. We have been working hard to steady the ship and have all but finished a three year period of stabilisation.

While some detractors would point out we have not gained anything new in recent times, I would argue we have made progress. We had aircraft groundings, the inability to renew registrations and a host of other problems related to both flying operations and airworthiness activities. In contrast, we are now looking at a modest surplus in this financial year, compared to the almost half a million dollar losses of years gone by. Our people can go flying whenever they want to and we no longer have members facing potential expulsion from RAAus, which was the default reaction some years ago.

What’s more, in the past year or so, we have added about 750 members to our ranks.

We managed this significant change of direction in just the past three years. We have moved from a path of almost self-destruction to one of positivity and solid growth, backed by hard evidence. The next three years will build on this as we begin planning for a robust future. With the organisation now stabilised, we can start to solidify our performance. During this time we will strengthen our position, both in the market as well as in financial terms. We will make some modest changes to the RAAus product offering and start to expand the way we offer value to members. At the moment we are pretty much doing the sorts of jobs we have always done. We have always handed out pilot and maintenance qualifications and we have always set the standards in each of these areas. Sure, we have represented pilots and maintainers and lobbied for their rights along the way. But, in essence, that’s all we have ever really done.

For a while we got distracted and had to fight to get back to where we were and today we are able to keep doing what we do.

The question is – is it enough to just keep doing what we have always done?

During the next three years we will set ourselves up to strategically invest in the future of RAAus. It will be a period of solidification, where we constantly improve our current operations and the way we deliver on our promises. More importantly though, it is setting us up to go into a phase where we add even more value for members and ultimately provide more security for the organisation. We will start to consider how we invest in aviation in the country. This might consist of asset acquisitions to protect ourselves against closing airports and other aviation related facilities. It might consist of investing in future pilots and maintainers. We could even invest in people who are well placed to influence aviation policy in Australia. The truth is we don’t know what all this looks like yet, we are only starting the conversation. We also need to continue with our collective industry efforts in forums such as the Australian Aviation Associations Forum, which has a solid reputation, and make sure events such as AirVenture Australia keep bringing the industry together. Over the past 50 years or so, aviation has gone from being well regarded in this country to something of a sideshow.

Many airports have been abandoned and ended up in the hands of local councils which don’t know what to do with them, which has created access problems. In the past we had favourable tax treatment for investment in aviation assets, including aircraft, but this no longer exists and now we have an ageing aircraft problem. For the most part we have had transport ministers more interested in roads and railways than aviation, so we are like the poor relation of other modes of transport. RAAus is well placed to play a role in changing all of these things.

We are the largest group of private aviators in the country and the fastest growing. We have a relatively young fleet of aircraft which is attractive to new entrants in the sector. And we have the respect of many stakeholders across different parts of our industry. I believe we owe it to aviation and the next generation of aviators to make sure we are here for the long haul and working collectively to protect the interests of aviation in general. It is incumbent on us to work with the broader industry to further the cause and make sure we get noticed for the right reasons. For the jobs we create and the contribution we make to society. Right now we are a stable organisation and we need to solidify that. Then we can do even more work on building some security for aviation.

Stability. Solidity. Security. It’s in our best interests

How accurate are the RAA stats though? There seems to be a lot of hours being recorded post 2017

750 members = $176,250 increase in ongoing revenues with a one off income of $16500

but its going to be another $176k, or better, this year as well and the next year as well, you'll see an extra $500k coming into the RAA in 3 years, an extra $1M is 6 years. That's not accounting for the extra money coming in from the increase in fees.

It's happy days for the RAA.

Another perspective on this growth is that are enough to pilots entering the sport to justify a 2nd a player like the ELAAA, if anything the presence of a 2nd organisation would probably accelerate the sport. Its good for investment into assets like airfields and the supporting infrastructure.

I can't believe are crying over a fee increase! Surely you can't be serious! The rego on my plane and the membership to RAA are bugger all in the big scheme of things! $230 odd for me, and $165 for my bird. Seriously, if that is a problem for you, then maybe aviation is not where you should have your hobby. Think about it this way.... If not for organisations like RAA, we would all be staring down there barrel of CASA to fly, and let me tell you, the costs would be significantly more.

I am new to RAA - about 18 months now, and I am happy as a pig. I own, and now maintain my own aircraft, can take it to all corners of the country (with respect to controlled airspace) and RAA will even give me some insurance too! What the heck more do you guys want for less than $400 a year!

Yep... let's kick in the teeth of the very organisation that enables us to do what we do. Fairdinkum! If you think you can do better, I would prefer you get up, and go take a seat on the board, rather than sit in your corner and complain.

Sorry guys, this gets my back up! Having started, and volunteered for organisations and associations, there is nothing worse than working your <mod censored> off for the betterment of the member base, only to have sideline warriors throw crap at you, but never want to give their own time to help.

Anyways... rant over.

EDIT - For the record, I have been in the aviation industry for 12 years! Trust me... it could be a WHOLE lot worse!

costs would be significantly more

VH - no annual rego & no membership fees.Bird Dog, you minimise your costs by maintaining your own aircraft - those who choose to have professionally maintained do not see a lot of difference between VH and RAA. . Remember your flying costs are lower because your fuel consumption is much lower than most GA types.

What is really the point of this discussion is the lack of substantive information flowing to members. In the financial year 2016/17 the total expenses of RAAus were $2.753 million. I understand that there were a number of "one off" expenses in this number. A 5% increase in expenses would raise this to $2.89 million (ie 137,000 more). 500 more members means 117,500 will come from new memberships and presumably the aircraft register will increase to match this (say 165 @$165 =$27,225) which would be more than enough to cover the increased expenses. Any other shortfall in revenue over expenses should be met by expense control.

The financial information provided to members on such activities as Ozkosh and Avalon is scant and it would seem to be covered in a catch all numbers like "Accommodation, meetings and travel .... $120,409.

Much of this sort of discussion could be set aside if Board minutes were published as they are distributed to the Board along with the financial reports. I would like to know what the net financial cost of events such as OzKosh are or at least some analysis conducted (if there ever was) because the recent PR to members on the cash position of the organisation was nothing more than insulting.

I for one do not like being taken for a dummy and I do not want to see the situation synonymous with local government where members are seen as some sort of milch cow to build an ivory castle. Remember, these sort of organisations in NZ do the same work an membership fees are less than $NZ100.

End of my rant

Jim McDowall

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Totally agree with Jim. For me RAA should be about simple regulation of simple aircraft and flying schools, leave the aviation business to commercial operators (profit or loss)

• Agree 1

Yeah I hear you, but the organisation MUST have some level of positive cash flow. You never want to be scraping the bottom of the barrel. This will allow for better options for a range of activities and investments. The organisation can't grow if it stagnates. There is nothing for nothing in this world.

FYI - Up to this point I have had an L2 looking after my bird, and was happy to pay that. I am taking over now more for my own interest rather than anything else, and still may get the L2 to do the 100 each year.

Anyways... always good to throw these things around. :)

Cheers

J

This will allow for better options for a range of activities and investments.

The only reasons RAAus exists at all is because historically it was the lobby group that got the then AUF off the ground only to become the quasi regulator under CAO95.55 etc which somewhat cruelled its role as a lobbyist organisation. So the only activiteies I want to see it spend its money on is the represent the interest of members insofar as required to maintain or improve our flying rights (or priveleges depending on your point of view) and expand the membership base so as to spread the costs of these activities further. What worries me are statements like this from the last annual report:Medicals

In light of recent developments around the world and

the resulting decisions about medical standards, the

board had a discussion about the standards required for

recreational aircraft. The board has agreed to develop

a ‘fitness to fly’ document along the same lines as the

Australian Parachute Federation’s ‘fitness to parachute’

guidelines. The board has also agreed to undertake a

review of the current standards with a view to creating a

clearer alignment with drivers’ licence requirements that

are well understood by medical practitioners."

CASA had prior to this report issued a discussion paper on aviation medical standards as a result of changes to medical certification around the world. It would have been germain to wait for the CASA outcome and also look further afield bfore wandering off on an excercise that in reality puts into doubt the adequacy of the Human Factors course. A look over the ditch at their microlight medical declaration or locally the Austroads publication "Assessing Fitness to Drive 2016 (as amended up to August 2017)" would have enlightened the policy makers in which case if you hold a private drivers licence you meet the existing standard. In the absense of any verifiable evidence that this standard should be changed DO NOTHING.

This idea of "getting on the front foot with CASA" only leads to more regulation.Just look how the GFA has created rules and policies that are driving people away from the sport. We all know that CASA is slow to make new rules but quick to tug the chain so wait for the results of CASA's review.

• Agree 1

jim what rules did casa write for raathe gooses at raa write the rules neil

My point exactly - but those rules should not exceed those required of VH reg pilots and operators or those standards shown internationally to be adequate. Simply writing rules to show CASA what goody two shoes you are is a recipe for over-regulation.
  • Agree 1

Who wrote that?

Good question in one paragraph "....and now we have an ageing aircraft problem.", and a couple of paras later "We have a relatively young fleet of airctaft"Surely we would know?

• Agree 1

Sounds like they are going to regulate the average older working man/retiree with a home built rag and tube out of the skies. Those without large bank funds who just fly for the sheer pleasure of it.

I am new to RAA - about 18 months now, and I am happy as a pig.

I think you are in the "honeymoon" period, the growth area for schools and workshops is in the BFRs and aircraft inspections, there is a possibility for the RAA to use them to increase the standards.

The notes about the PDP

THE RAAUS professional development

seminar series for all Instructors,

maintainers and safety personnel are

underway.

The seminar series will run until June. The

programs are structured to include important

information on flight training practices, school

management, maintenance and airworthiness,

along with introducing staged integrated

Safety Management Systems for flight school

operations.

Part of each seminar includes a forum,

intended to be an opportunity for members

to ask questions directly to RAAus staff and

Board members, along with a chance to enjoy

some food in a relaxed environment.

Full details can be found on these pages

or at Log in - RAA - Intranet

This seems orientated toward pushing higher training standards post licence phase

• Agree 1

Good Gooly Goo! Man, I thought we had it bad in the U.S. with rules, regs & prices! I was shocked when I got notice recently of a $5.00 billing to register my Drifter! Me, being me of course, promptly threw it in the garbage, luckily the trash man was coming next morning.

Having second thoughts & being the civic minded person that I am, I dutifully retrieved my extortion notice from our Federal Aviation Administration folks, wrote a nice note in return stating: "Thanks anyway, but my Drifter was originally designed as an ultralight aircraft and as such registration is not required." I kept my 5 spot. Of course, I lied my ass off. It retains its full complement of gear. I feel for you guys. I really do. Sign me: Granddad...per Bex.

P.S. Bex, I like that name!

Personally when I was on the RAAus Board we had some $2.5m in the bank, were running very profitable, were looking at ways to spend the money to improve things, owned our own building, was an ASSOCIATION of some 11,000 MEMBERS and NOT a company, had 11 people on the board, had regional people and it was all still growing. Sure, we had a few undesirables on the Board and needed to get rid of them but in general the MEMBERS were happy just flying their planes belonging to an ASSOCIATION of like minded people. Yes, we did need to get more business like but that was more in line with attitude and processes like better communication rather than being an actual business. Some of the Board members had local aero club mentalities and were so secretive which had to change but when looking at it all now our problems then could have been fixed unlike what we have now.

What do we have now...hardly anything in the bank, communication of complete false and misleading information, our money being spent without any control, no real gains in the last 5 years, NO ASSOCIATION, NO MEMBER OWNERSHIP, a business, no regional representation, lies, damned lies and false statistics.

Dare I say it but perhaps in retrospect we were wrong to jump up and down so hard for something better because those who we thought we could trust to make things better have in fact destroyed what we had...$2m gone, no real growth in 5 years, no member control and no information is perhaps better than lies.

There was none more passionate than I about our Association and the people in it, heck I started and have ran this site at great time, effort and financial cost because of that passion but now, the passion has gone because what do we really have now, I really don't think we have anything any more.

• Agree 1