Bring your password for iPad

JG3

Today I was trying to fly over the range through dodgy weather. OZrunways and BOM radar was essential for watching the moving weather. Then the iPad had a fit and insisted that it needed to be re-authorized and I would need my Apple ID password to do that. No other way around it..... I didn't have the password with me and couldn't remember it..... So rather than push on into difficult conditions I elected to head back for home.....

So now the password is written in the back of the iPad case.....

Also should mention that the iPad may need to be put into 'restore' mode before can access the ID and Password page.

To do that hold down both the 'Home' and 'Sleep/Wake' buttons until the Apple icon shows then hold for another 10 seconds. May have to try a couple of times.

Today I was trying to fly over the range through dodgy weather. OZrunways and BOM radar was essential for watching the moving weather. Then the iPad had a fit and insisted that it needed to be re-authorized and I would need my Apple ID password to do that. No other way around it..... I didn't have the password with me and couldn't remember it..... So rather than push on into difficult conditions I elected to head back for home.....So now the password is written in the back of the iPad case.....

Set it up too use your finger print

Just what I would expect with anything connected to a computer. I have had the demand for a password, luckily it was not at a difficult time.

I also have a recurring problem with the iPad. Sometimes when it starts Avplan, it wakes up with a dimmed screen. I have to go to settings and then screen brightness and push the brightness up. If it happens in flight there is nothing to see on the screen, because of glare and i can't find the correct buttons to push. Typical computer. I would never rely on it.

The way Ozrunways works on Android is very basic when compared to how it works on a Ipad..the Ipad version just works a lot better

I love the apple hardware but the virus called Itunes drives me to disctraction and with apple stuff what ever you do..DO NOT enable the double identification thing...it is a nightmare and you cant get rid of it

I have MacPro desktop and Imac and Apple macAir laptop and work on Imacs at work..using Windoze via a Virtual machine on all of those devices for when I need to use that crap. Its such a pity about all the cloud crap now and itunes ruining such great OS and hardware

I have RWY as a backup on my android phone from my iPad mini. If one has issues, I have my backup at hand.

Yes, I have the backup on my phone if the tablet is a problem..... The standard licence/subscription allows for one extra device so it doesn't cost any extra......

How about some congratulations for JG3 for heading back home rather than press on when a significant part of the flight preparation and plan went down the gurgler. Good decision JG:score 010:. Presson-itis has not gone well for a lot of people. There's always tomorrow to try again.080_plane.gif.a1e5e0a413d43d363c1bc5b3a612d6df.gif

How about some congratulations for JG3 for heading back home rather than press on when a significant part of the flight preparation and plan went down the gurgler. Good decision JG:score 010:. Presson-itis has not gone well for a lot of people. There's always tomorrow to try again.080_plane.gif.a1e5e0a413d43d363c1bc5b3a612d6df.gif

Yes agree and well pointed out, congrats for making a good decision.

Set it up too use your finger print

Mine needs the password before it will let me use the fingerprint. I hate Apple passwords with a vengeance. My cloud storage is full, & I can't delete it. My iPad is now rarely used.

I would forgo the whistles & bells of Ozrunways on my iPad in order to enjoy the simplicity of android. Wish I'd bought the Samsung now, instead of spending $700 on the iPad. I'm thinking of replacing it all with just a simple motor vehicle GPS with off road facility. That's all I need for my local flying.

Bruce

Just turn off the cloud stuff it will delete it

its under settings

it will tell you you will loose it all

I dont use the cloud on anything windoze or any of my apple stuff

and its setup wrong ..fingerprint it will open you need to rescan your fingerprint

Windoze just needs Deleting, (format C:) then reinstall Windoze.

I failed on my last desk-top reinstall as I couldn't get the keyboard to "press any key" ,so cost me $120 to get tech help.

My Galaxy phone needs password after shut-down, then finger-print will work.

spacesailor

It amazes me that there are so many diehard Apple fans and many seem to have problems with their hardware and/or software. All Apple products are expensive and Apple keeps their customers by coming up with new innovative things. But then bleeding edge tech = bleeding issues. They also make sure that everything is theirs with proprietary operating systems and software that costs and usually has a finite lifespan. For years every new apple phone had a different charging jack when Android gear standardised on the mini USB so one charger fitted everything. There are millions of Android apps, most of which cost nothing.

I have a 4 year old LG Android phone with an AMOLED 5.2" screen with no front buttons, thin bezel physically smaller than the iPhones with smaller screens & cost less than a quarter the price of the iPhone. Apple also use LG or Samsung screens. I use XCsoar as a Nav aid (designed for gliding but totally configurable for my aircraft) & Avia weather. Both cost nothing and are continuously being updated. The latest airspace data can be installed at any time & the waypoint data includes most airfields. You can of course add your own way points. This runs on any old cheap Android phone or tablet. It only needs to be version 2.2 or higher. It also runs on PC, Windows mobile & Linux but not iPhone as it is open source & free. I have a cheap 10" tablet I bought at Aldi & it runs perfectly on that.

I dont have any problems at all with any of my apple stuff either here at home or work

The only issue is the Itunes stuff but generally its not such a big deal just an annoyance. I have never enable or used the Icloud stuff anyway. The apple stuff is always so much easier to use. My boss at work made the decision to go Apple for all our work stuff and just use Windoze via a VM which is easily done on the Mac's and he just hates windows now..cant stand it. The amount of reformating you had to do and the updating etc....and windows 10 is just pathetic

Right decision made, great work. I’m still yet to have a paper chart or my eyes ask for a password to function. I use Ozrunways, but when operating over unfamiliar countryside I print enough material to get me through should the electronic stuff fail. There’s way too much reliance on electronic equipment, I recently watched video of an experienced pilot in 8/8ths blue sky with their head buried in 2 electronic devices for 6 minutes “looking” for traffic. Meanwhile their inexperienced pax located the traffic by looking outside! During this time they overflew a busy regional airport with the autopilot engaged and not looking outside once. The pilot was happy to proudly post this video.