MAYDAY CALL

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't that plane that crashed at Essendon do a mayday?I wonder why he thought it would have helped.

He did; not sure if the transcript is on the ATSB or whether someone has downloaded the ATC record.

I didn’t mention Engine Failure After Take Off, to save confusion with an engine failure on take off or on final. Here you often don’t get the 8 seconds to make the call, and people are usually watching.

Seb is an Asberger's kid, whatever that means. I think it means that his therapy takes precedence over the rest of the class and their learning.

All the kids WANT to have Asbergers. It means they can come and go as they please, and do anything they want to do......

Without any dispute, confrontation or repercussions. .......

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

All the kids WANT to have Asbergers. It means they can come and go as they please, and do anything they want to do......Without any dispute, confrontation or repercussions. .......

Aspergers/autism spectrum disorder is well understood. "Al;l the kids WANT have Aspergers" sound like BS to me. For a start "ALL" is obviously a ridiculous statement. Secondly, CAN kids with autism come and go as they like? I have been a private music teacher for 28 years and have taught hundreds of kids and a few of them have been autistic, I would suggest that faking the behaviour of someone with this condition would be extremely difficult.

• Agree 1

This thread has had more drifts than Saturday night at the speedway.

Ambulance costs. Here in Box Hill, Vic there are 2 hospitals on opposite corners, one public, one private. Walking time between the two = less than four minutes, allowing for traffic. Moving a patient between them requires an ambulance. Cost starts at $90. I paid an ambulance subscription while I was employed, can't remember how much it was, but since retiring and becoming a pensioner, ambulances are free. I never needed an ambulance while I was working, but had 3 trips since retiring.

.Aspergers/autism spectrum disorder is well understood. "Al;l the kids WANT have Aspergers" sound like BS to me. For a start "ALL" is obviously a ridiculous statement. Secondly, CAN kids with autism come and go as they like? I have been a private music teacher for 28 years and have taught hundreds of kids and a few of them have been autistic, I would suggest that faking the behaviour of someone with this condition would be extremely difficult.

My view was from a childs perception....

My son came home from school and said how awsome it would be to have asbergers.

His classmate with it, played computer games at the back of the class, didn't actually do any school work unless he wanted to and came in and out of class anytime he wanted to.

All the teachers seem to be afraid of upsetting him and he was treated like royalty....

I got the impression that if you tried to discipline him, you would be accused of abusing a "special" boy.

My son's direct quote " There's nothing wrong with him, he's just a naughty boy"..... for what it's worth.

• Like 1

My Rant on special children that just need a kick up the rear.

The teachers have no authority and the kids have no fear - my wife is a year 2 primary school teacher and has 10 out of the 24 kids classed as behaviour problems. Some of these have destroyed the classroom twice - and two other little Sh### - have thrown chairs and broken windows. One had a pair of scissors against another's throat and so on and so on. One year 2 kid used the f word in every sentence as well???. Cant be suspended but has to have more counselling - Really!!!

The teachers of primary have ZERO power to control them and she spends on average a hour after school writing reports on the behaviour problems that day. Total waste of time. No government money has trickled down to the classroom, no extra teachers for these kids as promised and as the pollies have told us. its all spent at head office.

These little sh### - need a kick up the rear and a bit of fear put into them. Oh and also the school is now offering parenting classes (yeah right) and this is a mid level primary school in a reasonable suburb.

The other good kids are not learning anything - as she is keeping the problem children from destroying the place or each other.

The kids know that nothing can be done to them or get a time out - big deal. They need a kick up the rear and some pain or fear if they get out of line as all we are developing is crims in training.

And the parents need to teach them at home and not give them the ipad and go out to dinner or do care what they do.

REAL LIFE IN A CITY PRIMARY SCHOOL.

Oh how things have changed.

My father had a belt like linesmen use to climb power poles. Half a dozen lashes of that brought you into line. These days he'd go to jail for that.

The principal at my high school had a cane about 3 ft long. You would often hear the swish of the cane if you were in the classroom next to his office.If you got the 'cuts', it was 3 strokes on the palm of the hand. A rap over the knuckles with a ruler was common. All now gone to that big blackboard in the sky.

The mamby pamby little delinquents of today could do with a good dose of such discipline.

My Rant on special children that just need a kick up the rear.The teachers have no authority and the kids have no fear - my wife is a year 2 primary school teacher and has 10 out of the 24 kids classed as behaviour problems. Some of these have destroyed the classroom twice - and two other little Sh### - have thrown chairs and broken windows. One had a pair of scissors against another's throat and so on and so on. One year 2 kid used the f word in every sentence as well???. Cant be suspended but has to have more counselling - Really!!!

The teachers of primary have ZERO power to control them and she spends on average a hour after school writing reports on the behaviour problems that day. Total waste of time. No government money has trickled down to the classroom, no extra teachers for these kids as promised and as the pollies have told us. its all spent at head office.

These little sh### - need a kick up the rear and a bit of fear put into them. Oh and also the school is now offering parenting classes (yeah right) and this is a mid level primary school in a reasonable suburb.

The other good kids are not learning anything - as she is keeping the problem children from destroying the place or each other.

The kids know that nothing can be done to them or get a time out - big deal. They need a kick up the rear and some pain or fear if they get out of line as all we are developing is crims in training.

And the parents need to teach them at home and not give them the ipad and go out to dinner or do care what they do.

REAL LIFE IN A CITY PRIMARY SCHOOL.

Oh how things have changed.My father had a belt like linesmen use to climb power poles. Half a dozen lashes of that brought you into line. These days he'd go to jail for that.

The principal at my high school had a cane about 3 ft long. You would often hear the swish of the cane if you were in the classroom next to his office.If you got the 'cuts', it was 3 strokes on the palm of the hand. A rap over the knuckles with a ruler was common. All now gone to that big blackboard in the sky.

The mamby pamby little delinquents of today could do with a good dose of such discipline.

Oh how things have changed.My father had a belt like linesmen use to climb power poles. Half a dozen lashes of that brought you into line. These days he'd go to jail for that.

And yet we managed to raise our son to be a happy and successful adult without once assaulting him. We used reason and negotiation. He now at 28 has his own extremely succesful company and in fact one of his talents is negotiating. I know I will be shouted down but using pain as a teaching tool is for those who are too lazy or thick to use reason.

• Like 1

During most of my education and working life spent in the classroom, the cane was freely used, but more often abused. Too often it was applied as a substitute for good teaching. I understand your frustration about little sh1ts of kids -I've had to deal with plenty of them- but disciplining kids shouldn't require violence.

Why not support parenting classes? I've seen so many people (including well educated ones) make a dog's ear of raising their kids.

Our society expects us to be trained and licenced to drive a car, operate a boat, fly a plane, own a firearm...

yet we not only let any cretin give birth to children, we subsidise them to pop out more than they could ever hope to support.

Luckily, a start has already been made, with governments threatening to withhold Childcare from those who refuse to vaccinate their kids.

• Agree 2

yet we not only let any cretin give birth to children, we subsidise them to pop out more than they could ever hope to support.

Luckily, a start has already been made, with governments threatening to withhold Childcare from those who refuse to vaccinate their kids.

I don’t think that will stop them popping out OK.

I'm with OK on this - parenting (properly) is the hardest, most demanding and most important job we'll ever do, but we're expected to do it with no training or education beyond what we experienced ourselves as children.

I reckon the curriculum from grades 8 - 12 should include compulsory parenting classes - at the least it'd act as a contraceptive to many young kids.

Hey, So I'm a student pilot learning to get my certificate and I fly at an un-controlled airfield where we use the radio to broadcast positions e.g base, rolling etc. My question is, lets say you have an engine failure in the circuit, what phrase would you use?? MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY ?? or PAN PAN PAN. or would yhou just say Traffic [location] engine failure?

thanks,

Riley

Hello people, here is where it started. I trust you don't get this far off track when flying

Hello people, here is where it started. I trust you don't get this far off track when flying

I fly like a drunken hobo walks.... As long as I get there in the end, it's been a great flight.

And yet we managed to raise our son to be a happy and successful adult without once assaulting him. We used reason and negotiation. He now at 28 has his own extremely succesful company and in fact one of his talents is negotiating. I know I will be shouted down but using pain as a teaching tool is for those who are too lazy or thick to use reason.

Yes and good work octave as a parent but a dam lot has changed since and I bet you set boundaries, however more and more parents just don't give a toss of what the kid is doing, no home reading is huge, no help, no lunch, no water bottle, what about the others coming up NOW - a growing percentage (NOT ALL) of parents just don't care what the kid dose as values have slipped and changed - and the big one also is both parents work to stay afloat or also have problems, money, drugs are on the rise at home with parents using . Big rise now with the kid gets dropped off at school around 7 - 7.30am and picked up around 5.30 - 6pm - great life for small children, then parents expect the school to teach everything including manners!

Also lots of single parents working full time with no, zero, zip, family support.

Did you know that on a primary state school report card in qld - you actually lie to the parents in it and are not aloud to tell the truth. Really.

And for any negative comment you must have EIGHT positive ones or you cant inform the parent.

System gone mad because of PC

• Like 1

Regarding belting vs psychology, reward for good behaviour vs belting for bad behaviour leaves less psychological scars, and I agree that is the better way to go.

I also that with livestock, and the results astound some visitors.

Regarding the little sh!ts, some classes and some schools are luckier than others (and I don'have a solution with the present teaching methods)

With the mentally ill who disrupt classes and injure physically/psychologically both teachers and fellow students, and that's negligent and unacceptable, however I feel for the parents of these children because governments closed down the special schools and infrastructure and I wonder whether something could be done within the NDIS scheme.

Some names are disallowed. Imagine changing your name to Mayday... I thought about calling my son "Judge" but reckon it would be illegal.

THEN I got correspondence from a CASA bloke called Saint John! No kidding, so he didn't die in 70 AD or whenever, and he now works for the dark side....

You non-belting guys are right of course, but if you outlaw belting, you need some other method of protecting the good kids from having their learning environment stuffed up by the rough kids. In my day, the rough kids had to keep quiet, and they at least learned to read and write.

The worst headmasters these days just blame the teachers for not making their lessons so enthralling that the rough kids sit enthralled. What nonsense.

This "learning environment " thing is the main reason for the existence of private schools, although even private schools are weakening in recent years.