RAAus bid to increase MTOW weight allowance

Hunsta

Didn't he know coal is evil?

Well, in the 19th and early 20th century, it was what the world ran on, so I guess the words, "renewable options" would have been a bit of a mystery to him.

On that basis, Winston Churchill must have been an early leader amongst the CC true believers, when he ordered all the British Navy ships be converted from coal to oil, just before the start of WW1.

It's interesting to study the impact that decision had on world economies, as the coal industry suffered badly with that decision, and the oil and gas industries boomed.

Of course, there was one overwhelming reason to convert warships from coal to oil, and that was simply - increased speed.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turbo, I've read an article discussing how the Japanese economy recovered and prospered so well, and so rapidly, after being almost totally destroyed during WW2.

The article outlined how the Japanese economic recovery after WW2 was greatly assisted by the low numbers of Japanese lawyers, and the Japanese cultural tradition, that suing other Japanese for substantial compensation after accidents, was unacceptable, as it was detrimental to the economy, and to Japanese society as a whole.

But the "American Disease" of suing anyone you can, for whatever pathetic reason you can dredge up, has invaded Japan in recent years, and the older Japanese are apparently appalled by the trend.

• Like 1

The problem there is they want faster cruise speeds and greater range and more equipment i.e. they want GA class aircraft with RA rules and Ra medical.

Yeah, well bad luck, get a class 2 medical (whatever).

Want a weight increase for the benefit of the recreational majority, not a few others.

I guess that I am one of these pilots that you both dislike. My Colt is more "recreational" than my Jab. Blanket statements lead to trip ups.....

Colt, 2 pob, 90kts, 5.6 hrs duration, better G at +4.4, plus more than a toothbrush.

Jab, 2pob, 100kts, 7.45 hrs duration, +4G, cut toothbrush in half to save weight.

Ken

• Like 1

Turbs lists in post 12 reasons why members want the higher limit. He seems to present these in a derogatory way, but to me they are all perfectly valid aspirations for members to have. He ends with” pushed by one of these agendas” - well yes, and why not?

Turbo, I've read an article discussing how the Japanese economy recovered and prospered so well, and so rapidly, after being almost totally destroyed during WW2.

The article outlined how the Japanese economic recovery after WW2 was greatly assisted by the low numbers of Japanese lawyers, and the Japanese cultural tradition, that suing other Japanese for substantial compensation after accidents, was unacceptable, as it was detrimental to the economy, and to Japanese society as a whole.

But the "American Disease" of suing anyone you can, for whatever pathetic reason you can dredge up, has invaded Japan in recent years, and the older Japanese are apparently appalled by the trend.

A good story, but the snail in the bottle case was 1932. 

The Japanese legal system, and even their way of thinking is quite different to ours. They are very obedient and will do what a sign says to do. Through sheer numbers they have learnt that walking on the left of footpaths is faster, when a line of cars takes off from the lights the whole line starts at once, so a MUCH faster start, but in crowded cities they will only accelerate to about 30 so speeds are sedate. At night, when they stop behine the car in front, they turn off their headlights. If they owe you money they pay it back. At times I wonder how they ever got inot the war. But they don't have an immigration programme, they try to keep their bloodline clear.

• Like 1

Turbs lists in post 12 reasons why members want the higher limit. He seems to present these in a derogatory way, but to me they are all perfectly valid aspirations for members to have. He ends with” pushed by one of these agendas” - well yes, and why not?

Because we have done this to death over and over again; the answers are all back in the previous threads, the logic has been presented, but from time to time someone will come out squawking for the same things.

• Like 1

But the "American Disease" of suing anyone you can, for whatever pathetic reason you can dredge up, 

You should try China! Only difference is the payouts here are of reasonable and logical size fitting for the losses./costs incurred

Bex - Do the payouts involve a certain number of pigs, and a handful of cowrie shells? I sometimes think the natives have fairer and more sensible compensation payouts, than we do in the Western world.

In all seriousness. I apologize if Ive opened any old wars here. I simply asked the question as I am new to the world of aviation. And it was a question I thought could be answered here.

I'll try and reseach my questions in advance in the future.

Cheers

Craig

• Like 1

In all seriousness. I apologize if Ive opened any old wars here. I simply asked the question as I am new to the world of aviation. And it was a question I thought could be answered here.

Cheers

Craig

We're generally not that serious around here Craig, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but send me money if it makes you feel better.

• Haha 2

Cheers

Craig

All good with me.

• Like 1

Cheers

Craig

No worries, Craig

Lots of us on here just like yammering.

Did you look at the CASA consultation paper on the MTOW increase that was open a few months ago? Still available on the CASA site.

What is that  aircraft in your profile pic? I can't make it out clearly

Alan

Should there be a maximum age for PC and PPL holders?

Given there are pilots still flying in their 90s, 110 would probably be reasonable. We are all living longer these days & I'd love to be the first pilot to be still flying at 100.

This is what they are planning to do apparently

Future direction

Overall, respondents have strongly supported the proposition that an ASAO may administer aeroplanes with an MTOW greater than 600 kg up to a maximum of 760 kg. As a result, CASA will initiate the development of drafting instructions with consideration of the detail within the DP and feedback received. The draft will be published for further consultation. Additionally, feedback on the maximum stall speed limitation for aircraft up to 760 kg MTOW will be evaluated and reviewed by CASA; any change to this limitation of 45 kts will also be published with the future consultation. The next step is for CASA to engage with the aviation community regarding draft changes to the legislation by way of a Summary of Proposed Change (SOPC). The SOPC will include a draft of the amendments to the relevant standards which will reflect CASA’s policy. This engagement will be the final opportunity for consultation prior to making the changes.

• Informative 1

I see the prickly pear of the 45kts they will look further into because RAA said that their proposal was to increase that stall speed appropriately and it wasnt considered in the discussion paper.  How long this all takes of course is up in the air but I can see the proceedures for above 601kg will be very similar to std GA for sure

Well according to the text I have read in the above document regarding maint of a more than 601kg here is the instrument CASA refer to  https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2019N00021   This was bought in on the 26th of Feb this year and current until 2022

No worries, Craig

Lots of us on here just like yammering.

Did you look at the CASA consultation paper on the MTOW increase that was open a few months ago? Still available on the CASA site.

What is that  aircraft in your profile pic? I can't make it out clearly

Alan

Yes Ive now seen that. Didnt realise how long its been going on for.

As for the Avatar. Its a Beaver. Its a  1971 unopened Airfix kit. Im very tempted to open it.

image.thumb.png.d5e0646b187c66d24d1de16d326f6f31.png

• Winner 1