What kit aircraft have you built?

CAV0K

Hi Everyone,

A question for all the builders out there, what kit aircraft have you built or are planning on building?

There are a number of kit aircraft available to build, so I thought it would be interesting to find out what kits have been built in Australia or abroad.

Cheers!

I build a Skyranger Nynja; thoroughly enjoyed the build and flying.  Great agent support and build log info by others who built them. Now have 304 hours.  Kits now at 600kG and with 912 100hp and Eprop looking at a max speed 113kts. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I built a Vans RV-12 over about a four year period and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Vans have been in the kit business for over forty years and it shows in the quality of fabrication and documentation. Their builder support is also excellent and the VAF website is a goldmine of information and assistance. As an LSA, the RV-12 is the lightest and slowest of their range (which will shortly include their first high-wing, the RV-15). \

Early on I started making a list of all the RV-12's that I could find that were being built in Australia.  It's probably well out of date now, but I got to 44 under construction or flying. Of those, 15 were VH registered and the rest were/are RAAus as far as I know.  Mine is one of three based at Serpentine, with possibly a fourth coming soon. It cruises at 112-115kts at 5200-5300 rpm and will do 126 at WOT. That's fast enough for me. If you really need to go fast, the RV-12 is not your aircraft. Mine is pretty well equipped for long trips and also has a bigger fuel tank than the standard 75 litres, which gives it a bit over over 5 hours endurance. 

• Like 2

Along these lines, are there any kits that

a) have an mtow that can utilise the newly available weight limits (the beloved hated the limited luggage we could take when travelling under the 600kg regime), and

b) are reasonably completely specified (I don’t want to be flying something that is built based on my guesswork).

The RV12 satisfies the second point but not the first, while lots of kits (based on questions I see asked) appear to fail the second. 

Apologies in advance for the possible thread drift, but I’d really appreciate it if you could think of those points when answering the original post. 🙂

3 minutes ago, sfGnome said:

a) have an mtow that can utilise the newly available weight limits (the beloved hated the limited luggage we could take when travelling under the 600kg regime), and

b) are reasonably completely specified (I don’t want to be flying something that is built based on my guesswork).

The RV12 satisfies the second point but not the first, while lots of kits (based on questions I see asked) appear to fail the second. 

Apologies in advance for the possible thread drift, but I’d really appreciate it if you could think of those points when answering the original post. 🙂

The Sling 2 would be a good choice.

45 minutes ago, sfGnome said:

Jabiru J430 is supplied as a kit with MTOW 760kg.

Build it without the rear seats and you've got a huge baggage area and a typical usefull load of 300kg with full fuel.

• Agree 1

I kit built a SP500 (18 months to build, one hour every day and 6 hours per weekend)

If I were to do it again I would build a j230 and set it up to fly it at 700 or 760 under the new rules

for my latest build I have decided to rebuild a certified aircraft, though that can be spendy as you have to use certified and TSO’d or PMA’d parts and any modifications have to be STC’d. Though I am having fun doing it.

if this is your first….go j230

Ken

• Like 1

I built an RV4 which I think would come in for RAAus rego under the increases weight ruling. I also built a Corby Starlet, which is plans only, not a kitlthough I think partial kits are available.

• Like 1

I didn't build my RV6a experimental, was cheaper to buy flying than the cost to build one. Beautiful to look at and amazing all round performance, it always makes me smile. Over 500 Van's aircraft  flying in oz now and 13,000 world wide, a proven design. Excellent factory support with service bulletins etc. Almost two year wait on kits now is a downer for potential builders.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When you decide to build a kit aircraft there are variable skill levels and amount of work and knowledge required. With some of the so called "Quick build" kits I find it difficult to figure out how they can justify the 51% builder input when most of the components are already built and all that is required is assembly, paint, installing the engine and instruments.

I built a Morgan Sierra and took 4 years in calendar time and about 1000 hours actual build time. With my kit I was supplied with rolls of aluminium sheet, lengths of aluminium extrusions, Engine mount, moulded uncut canopy, a few out of the mould fibreglass bits and heaps of bolts, nuts and rivets. There was lots of shaping, cutting, grinding, rivetting, sanding etc and head scratching. My plan was to do absolutely everything myself including things I'd never done before like fibre glassing & painting. I only outsourced the upholstery for the seats & added some additional instruments (Dynon D6, EGT & CTG) & Matco wheels/disc brakes.

The build manual was virtually useless so I relied on the professionally drawn plans I got from Garry Morgan & photographs I took of complete aircraft. That and phone calls to Garry when I got stuck.

The whole process was a fascinating journey & I enjoyed every minute of it & have complete faith in the quality of my build. I did end up with an extra 20kgs in weight with some of the components I chose and my Engineering requirements but the performance is up there with some of the flash plastic fantastics that cost 3 times as much as I spent and if I'd bought one I would never have had the fun, experience and satisfaction of building my own aircraft. 

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3

I built my RV-9A and the kit quality was of a standard there were precisely three calls back to the mothership asking for advice. One was where I was having a blond moment and had my mental image of the assembly 180* out, the other was where I (had another blond moment and) drilled the canopy screwholes one size too big and wanted to confirm it'd be fine (it was), and the third was seeking the ok for a reinforcing plate over a rudder mount that I'd stuffed up, from memory.

The -9A would handle the 760Kg MTOW without an issue, with mine now weighing 472Kg fully equipped with dual EFIS, ADS-B, dual axis AP etc etc...That gives full fuel (135L), two x 85Kg adults and 22Kg of baggage and the legs to fly a full 4.5 hours at 140KTAS with reserves intact.

IF you even think you want an RV, put a deposit down now, as the Vans lead time is 10 months for most model tail kits, 12 months for the slow-build kits and out to more than 18 months for QB kits! FWIW, I worked out how much it'd cost to build my -9 "as I did" a few months ago. Even before the "covid tax" that hit shipping and the like, the replacement cost was $195,000. :yikes: 

IF you plan to build, do what I did. Don't even think about the $$$, just keep spending them until you're ready to fly and then work out how much it cost. It's less painful that way!

Edited by KRviator
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I built and fly a Zenith CH701, I was a LAME and still found it problematic because of erroneous plans. Took longer than it should because it sat untouched for two years due to utter frustration. However, at the end of the day I am glad I persevered because it does the job it was designed for brilliantly and I really love flying it.

• Like 2
  • Informative 3

29 minutes ago, planedriver said:

These are most interesting posts for many, i'm sure.

Keep them coming.

For so many like me who are now beyond the years where they'd dearly love to build, I for one, simply admire the determination to succeed like Marty and no doubt many others.

I find it both inspirational, and also learn a lot along the way.

Good on you guys, you deserve any positive appraisals you receive, and I so look forward to seeing the final results of your sometimes frustrating challenges and achievements.

Rgds Planey

• Agree 1

There are quite a few build blogs on this site. Mine is one of them. They are in the Recreational Aviation User Groups forums under each aircraft type. This is the link to my blog but there are heaps of them. https://www.recreationalflying.com/topic/13034-sierra-100-kit-build-underway/

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I think the real builders are the scratch builders who start with a few drawings and sheets of aluminium or a load of timber. They're the ones I really admire! 

Kit builders are essentially aircraft assemblers rather than builders. Putting a kit together is certainly a big project that requires a fair degree of determination and some skill, but it's not particularly difficult if you choose a high quality kit, like a Vans. Good kits are certainly not cheap, but the saving in time is very substantial. We have one builder at Serpentine who fairly recently completed a superb scratch-built Piel Super Diamant, but it took him 38 years!

One of the main reasons I chose the RV-12 was that it came complete with engine, prop, avionics, wiring, hardware etc. I also knew up-front what it was going to cost, which was another big advantage. A further consideration was that it could be registered either VH or RAA, so if I couldn't maintain a CASA medical, there was still an opportunity to keep flying it. Also a bigger market if I ever sold it.

Building taught me a lot about aircraft, and I also made new friends along the way which was a bonus. I was also fortunate to buy when the dollar was high. Now it would cost me at least another $30-$40k to finish one.

Consequently I consider myself lucky to have a relatively high performance, relatively cheap and very economical aircraft that looks good and flies superbly. Vans like to claim their planes have `total performance', but however you do it, building and flying your own aircraft gives you a `total experience'.

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

Wow thanks to everyone who has responded so far, I find it really interesting to see what is being built.

Whilst building for me is not in the immediate future, I do really hope to build a kit one day.

Onex by Sonex, stopped counting at 1000hours, despite being very complete and match hole predrilled.

Bought the kit when the exchange rate was over 110USD to 100 Aus so total cost including shipping door to door was 45,000Aud.

Loved building love flying it. Sonex forums are great.

Modified the engine (VW) to run inverted, beefed up the smoke system and I have a blast with it.

36627B0D-73C6-49AA-ACC5-A390300BC65A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Rans S21 with 220hp UL520 and Garmin G3X. Stall 33kn and cruise 135kn with the 180hp so 200hp-220hp Ul520 will push it along a little faster. Particularly if we go the turbo 220hp option. VNE 187Kn so maybe a spread of 33kn stall to 150kn cruise. Take off is genuine STOL around 50ft or so.

It’ll look a lot like this pic but maybe green main Color. Can’t decide. we have kit and waiting on new hangar build August/ September then start in. I’m mechanical and my 50/50 build partner is an electrics/ electronics whiz so it should work out 🙂 Visited Rans factory and their stand at OSH Kosh last year and plan a return this year to attend a heap of build forums. Huge knowledge input at OSH Kosh. Kit builder heaven and heaps of forums on safe flying.

559277A6-38D0-4B0E-9A53-692BB4CD73F8.jpeg

• Like 3

I built a kit ICP Savannah XG XL back in 2010.

I bought a wreck of a Savannah S model which turned out to be a far bigger project than expected and I have made and built more than 90% of this aircraft.

It is almost completed

I have a RANS S-21 Outbound kit sitting here ready to go when I finsih the Savannah S rebuild

The S-21 powered with a Rotax can suit the 760kg Group G but any other heavier engine or higher horsepower engine other than a Rotax it will not fit as it has a higher MTOW.

Rotax powered is 727kg and Titan or other style of engine is 820kg so it doesnt fit Group G

https://www.recreationalflying.com/topic/9712-another-new-savannah-xl-on-its-way/#comments

https://www.recreationalflying.com/topic/28429-my-savannah-s-model-rebuild-blog/#comments

https://www.recreationalflying.com/topic/35636-my-rans-s21-outbuound-build/#comment-479308

• Like 1

As an amateur/experimental aircraft repeat offending builder, it is my opinion that tenacity is a far more valuable personal trait than technical prowess.

When I first commenced building I was told by an experienced builder that for any mature model of aircraft kit sold, 1/3rd were flying, 1/3rd were under construction and 1/3rd were abandoned.

The two finest examples of the Vans RV6/7’s that I’ve inspected, were completed by builders without pre-existing technical skills….but they both possessed a keen “eye for detail” and were totally committed to the finishing the task. After 1,500-4,000h of hard slog, it’s reasonable to assume that completing builders will acquire and develop the technical skills and knowledge. 

So my advice to a prospective aircraft builder is to critically assess yourself. If you tend to chase after every shiny new object and have a collection of unfinished projects in your garage, then do yourself a favour and buy a flying airplane.

If however you’re prepared to launch yourself “once more into the breach” whenever obstacles, exchange rates, drill bits through fingers or life gets in the way and have a willingness to remake parts 3, 4 or 12 times to get one that’s right, then you’re a homebuilding candidate….but it almost certainly won’t save you money. 

The joy and satisfaction that comes from sitting in your hangar and gazing upon your completed aircraft will cause the considerable cost and years of labour to seem insignificant….and before long you’ll want to build again. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, rodgerc said:

As an amateur/experimental aircraft repeat offending builder, it is my opinion that tenacity is a far more valuable personal trait than technical prowess.

When I first commenced building I was told by an experienced builder that for any mature model of aircraft kit sold, 1/3rd were flying, 1/3rd were under construction and 1/3rd were abandoned.

The two finest examples of the Vans RV6/7’s that I’ve inspected, were completed by builders without pre-existing technical skills….but they both possessed a keen “eye for detail” and were totally committed to the finishing the task. After 1,500-4,000h of hard slog, it’s reasonable to assume that completing builders will acquire and develop the technical skills and knowledge. 

So my advice to a prospective aircraft builder is to critically assess yourself. If you tend to chase after every shiny new object and have a collection of unfinished projects in your garage, then do yourself a favour and buy a flying airplane.

If however you’re prepared to launch yourself “once more into the breach” whenever obstacles, exchange rates, drill bits through fingers or life gets in the way and have a willingness to remake parts 3, 4 or 12 times to get one that’s right, then you’re a homebuilding candidate….but it almost certainly won’t save you money. 

The joy and satisfaction that comes from sitting in your hangar and gazing upon your completed aircraft will cause the considerable cost and years of labour to seem insignificant….and before long you’ll want to build again. 

Would I build again? Possibly, if I was ten years younger! Yes it takes persistence and perseverance and all of those sort of words, but it will be worth it! I love my Zenith CH701.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, rodgerc said:

And if the wife suddenly finds you constantly under her feet after your completion, rather than you being in the shed, they may even suggest a new build for you 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2