Vans RV15

The thing is, what else can you get that's new for that price. All the equivalent kits are about 220-250k USD. Sportsman is about 300k USD optioned up and using TWTT, the sling TSI is better priced but still about the 200k+ mark here, so that would be in the ball park.

Then filling the tanks is about another 50k. 😶🤑

• Agree 1

exchange rate doesnt really hurt, wages are like for like, mostly.  Adding freight and import costs certainly adds another 10%.

"looks" too heavy for a 141hp engine. sure 915 is nice but really only a 135hp continuously.  

of course at altitude, the turbo is nice. 

Matt- footnote : weighs about 90kg including accessories.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

1 minute ago, RFguy said:

exchange rate doesnt really hurt, wages are like for like, mostly. 

I averaged A$1.00 to US$99c. Friends did really well and bought their full RV-12 kit just as the rate hit A$1.00 = US$1.10, but today A$1.00 will get you just US$0.69. The exchange rate has a big effect on your build cost.

yeah, the era 2006-09 etc when the dollar went above parity was a bit of a outlier event  - however great you could take advantage. Unfortunately, I was working in the US 2004-2009 and I got paid in USD, and I got LESS in AUD !!!! 😞

The RV kits aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

I know someone who is building a RV14A and the kit is incredible - am I tempted, yes, because the kit just makes it look easy.

The cost blow out is up to the builder, my friend is wanting a full IFR panel, he's looking at putting in $100K of avionics 😲😵💸

• Like 1

Yeah avionics are nice but expensive. I had a mate that spent big on the panel for his rv10 although he never complained about regretting it, even though I think he might have sold a kidney 😉 as long as you use it, more power to you!  

It always makes me laugh when non aviation friends wonder how garmin make money when everyone has a gps in their phone now and Apple do smart watches. The look on their faces when I show them how much even experimental avionics cost let alone certified is priceless. 

Good update👍 At least it wasn’t a radical design, all they have to do now is fine tune it so the hungry Vans follower wolves can be fed a diet of metal and rivets👍😉They’ll sell like hotcakes👍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Should be able to carry a bit in it with only one seat. How good is the 390? engine? I've heard a few stories.  Nev

Stories about the Lycoming io-390 or a clone manufacturer with an identical looking engine? One clone maker bought back 150 engines when they realized there was a problem. It goes to show there is often more to engine development than meets the eye.

The lycoming io-390 is available in certified form and now powers the cirrus sr20 replacing the IO-360 little six Continental.  

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Some of you have probably already seen this, but for those that haven't it's an interview with Rian Johnson, Vans CEO and chief designer about the thinking and development of the RV-15. It's clear that the current aircraft is about testing their ideas rather than a pre-production aircraft. Also interesting that they've been mulling over the idea of building a high wing for about 20 years now. They are putting some solid engineering and marketing thought into this plane, and I think it's going to be successful aircraft for a variety of customers, although probably not me unfortunately. They are also planning to develop a trainer version which may mean they intend building it themselves as they do the RV-12. Homebuilt aircraft have come a long way in the last 50 years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

They would sell more aircraft IF they offer it as reasonable priced factory build or a near completed factory build…….many of us don’t have enough life left to home build and fly, before we die 😞 

1 hour ago, Flightrite said:

I girly version will no doubt be made, it would kill the planes looks like they did with the others!🙁 They are in business to make money!

Still clinging to stale old ideas of manhood, Flightrite???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's a very nice looking aircraft, and the shape lends itself to polishing.   It'd look a lot better with the cowl painted with stripes going back onto the fuselage instead of the sharp demarcation. 

• Informative 1

6 hours ago, Flightrite said:

I girly version will no doubt be made, it would kill the planes looks like they did with the others!🙁 They are in business to make money!

I heard on social media and it may not be true that some of the "men" flying into Oshkosh were having a winge because they were sent to a runaway with a crosswind.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

From (US) AOPA News:

Not long ago, news of a kit manufacturer flying a prototype airplane would have been a minor footnote at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh.

"... Sure, this is the EAA convention, so you’d expect the tribe of aircraft home builders to get fired up about a new model. But the level of interest in the RV–15 reaches way beyond rivet bangers.

Pilots who have no intention of building an RV–15 welcome its arrival because they can see themselves buying one, eventually, on the used market. They’re interested in the details of the airplane’s design and testing because it’s just plain interesting—and it involves dedicated and determined people making progress toward a worthwhile new airplane. It also spurs their imagination about the dynamic and challenging brand of adventure flying the RV–15 is made for."

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2022/august/02/the-year-everything-changed

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1

On 28/07/2022 at 12:23 PM, jackc said:

They would sell more aircraft IF they offer it as reasonable priced factory build or a near completed factory build…….many of us don’t have enough life left to home build and fly, before we die 😞 

I'm not sure they're concerned with selling more - they can't keep up with demand for kits as it is.

The hysteria (cunning marketing)of the lead up to this launch and the cult following Vans have was the big driving force, I mean the design is as old as Noah😉👍 I expect they’ll be fun off their feet initially😂

Edited by Flightrite

2 hours ago, Flightrite said:

... the cult following Vans have was the big driving force, I mean the design is as old as Noah😉👍 

Not much that's really new in aeroplanes since the Wrights gave wing-warping away. 

And that 'driving force'  might just be that: "They’re interested in the details of the airplane’s design and testing because it’s just plain interesting—and it involves dedicated and determined people making progress toward a worthwhile new airplane."  (AOPA, above).

Did anyone notice the trailing edge on the new to Van's all flying stabilator, looks bit unusual. A brave move considering the controversy when Cessna departed from their recipe and put one on the C177.

Screenshot_20220804-054251_Facebook.jpg

• Informative 1