Vans RV15

Finally the latest addition to Mr Vans line-up, the 15, pictures are floating around the varies forums already. 
Nothing new design wise but will be interesting to see how much interest comes from it, initially lots I’d say mainly due the cult following Vans has👍

• Agree 1

Also has a stabilator and articulated main gear. Not many details released yet, but will be interesting to see how it compares with similar aircraft.

Should do well, but won't be cheap - especially with our current exchange rate.

‘cording to Youtube, shiny aluminium is coated aluminium - aluminium alloy that is coated with pure aluminium. 10% weaker than aluminium alloy. I don’t understand why it’s made of shiny aluminium, unless they are going to make it do that people don’t have to paint it. Which would make it more likely to leak water.   

1 hour ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

‘cording to Youtube, shiny aluminium is coated aluminium - aluminium alloy that is coated with pure aluminium. 10% weaker than aluminium alloy. I don’t understand why it’s made of shiny aluminium, unless they are going to make it do that people don’t have to paint it. Which would make it more likely to leak water.   

Vans use 2024-T3 Alclad aluminium alloy for wing and fuselage skins. This has a pure aluminium coating on both sides which oxidises and provides corrosion protection. It needs to be scuffed and cleaned before priming and painting. Some builders like to polish it (hard work) but most paint their aircraft. As a prototype there isn’t much point painting this particular RV. 

Edited by rgmwa
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

The other aircraft mentioned here are mainly built by an aircraft company. Vans is geared to the homebuilder and there record is very good.

It will probably be good at everything it is designed for and nicer to fly than a Cessna, plus the builder can do whatever he wants with the build to get a personalised aircraft. Having built an RV I reckon it will probably be good value and good flying.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RFguy said:

I reckon the Tailwheel Brumby 610 is a competitive aircraft. and made locally.  Rotax 915 or Lycoming....

I thought Brumby was part manufactured in China?

11 hours ago, RFguy said:

I reckon the Tailwheel Brumby 610 is a competitive aircraft. and made locally.  Rotax 915 or Lycoming....

The Van's 15 might?  be a four seater with a IO-390 @ 215hp. Should TAS at least 145knots.

Just guessing, but I think they will design it to be as versatile as possible, so at one end it may be a Cessna with 180 hp fixed pitch for those who just want a reasonably fast high wing tourer that's easy to get in and out of, with good carrying capacity and maybe 2+2 seating, while others will want a 250hp bush plane with a constant speed prop, tundra tyres or floats, perspex doors and able to fit a moose or grizzly in the back. They may even come out with a tri-gear version -15A.

Whatever they do, it's likely to be a couple of years before the first builder gets one flying. They can't even keep up with the orders they already have due mainly to supply chain issues.

• Agree 1

Disappointing (for me) to see that the wing strut goes down to a point at the front of the entry door, not the back.  That means the strut basically bisects the field of view for both occupants. I like high-wings for the view downwards, but this is a spoiler in Cessnas and a lot of others.  It would be nice to have no struts, but if they must - quite a few modern high-wings attach the strut behind the doors, which is a lot better.  So yes, very Cessna-like, albeit undoubtedly much better performance.  But it's completely irrelevant for me, I'm not a potential builder, or buyer, of anything.

And yes rgmwa, I'm sure Vans have said that a tri-gear will happen at some stage - a competitor for the Glasair Sportsman maybe.

Edited by marshallarts

I wouldn't touch the strutless Cessna's. The undercarriage gets in your view also. The strut doesn't block much off. Nothing like a low wing or biplane where you don't see a lot in any direction. Fun at night I can tell you. Nev

33 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I wouldn't touch the strutless Cessna's

Why is that?  I'm aware that many had issues with the Cardinal (i.e. flying them, or mostly landing them), but I haven't heard any bad things about the 210 (not that that means anything!).