Vans RV15

19 minutes ago, RFguy said:

wing torsional resistance considerations often require the strut be at an angle to the wing, or two struts (zenith, sav) 

The point is, you dont just place the strut/s where you get the best view.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marshallarts said:

Disappointing (for me) to see that the wing strut goes down to a point at the front of the entry door, not the back.  That means the strut basically bisects the field of view for both occupants. I like high-wings for the view downwards, but this is a spoiler in Cessnas and a lot of others.  It would be nice to have no struts, but if they must - quite a few modern high-wings attach the strut behind the doors, which is a lot better.  So yes, very Cessna-like, albeit undoubtedly much better performance.  But it's completely irrelevant for me, I'm not a potential builder, or buyer, of anything.

And yes rgmwa, I'm sure Vans have said that a tri-gear will happen at some stage - a competitor for the Glasair Sportsman maybe.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but if the strut is in front of the door, exiting the aircraft while the engine is running is safer. 

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, danny_galaga said:

Seems to me the best place for a strut is right about where the spar is. Anywhere else make sit more complicated and heavier. Structural integrity is more important than a lovely view. 

Plus need to come to a carry through member and on this model its where the undercarriage main legs are.  Skyfox is an example where the carry through tube was found to be insufficient and certain models required an additional carry through tube fitted.

• Informative 1

18 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

but if the strut is in front of the door, exiting the aircraft while the engine is running is safer. 

Yes I agree, although if the doors are forward-hinged I don't see too much of an issue really.  And I get all the structure-related comments too, just expressing a personal preference, one which does appear on some aircraft.

• Like 1

I bet their tent at EAA this year will have a well worn track leading to the RV15 inquires🙂 The price of this delivered here will be ugly I’m sure!

I think with a stylish paint job, some spats on Std wheels like the C180’s used to have would make it very appealing👍 Most people driving these types of planes in Oz rarely have a need for the large tundra type tires, it’s more a ‘look at me’ thingy😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Link to RV-15 prototype photos for those interested.  https://dougreeves.smugmug.com/RV-15-Engineering-Prototype/

They flew it to Oshkosh, although haven't released any performance details yet. Wingspan is about 35' and it has a 215hp engine, so a pretty decent sized plane for a homebuild.

Should be a successful plane for Vans, but you will probably need deep pockets to build one.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Oh it will cost more than the Crown Jewels this new baby! 
they’ll sell zillions, the hysteria and colt following that follows Vans is out of control!😂I see it’s mostly a pop rivet job, probably a good idea👍

Edited by Flightrite
  • Haha 1

It'll have a stall speed sub 40kts, cruise at 140knts and a payload of 200kg with full fuel and 2 POB 

It'll be a modern C180 Skywagon that you can build at home.

What's not to like?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Caution 1

Agree but go back to my post#3. Is it aerobatic? It probably doesn't have the Cessna wing washout . It should get a tail fin. It always helps and there's no downside.  What are the weights and emma chiset?    Nev

• Like 1

Nev I dont think its a comparable product- the Brumby tailwheel  is smaller but well capable. and probably weighs less. you cant fit two mountain bikes in the Brumby.

that's probably the point of differentiation- baggage capacity. the RV15 can take the kitchen sink 

That spring steel undercarriage on the Brumby can take a beating. There is a choice of engines for it, also.  There was a bit about it in the latest "Flying" magazine. and 760kg etc.

Are their any specs out for the RV15 anywhere ???

Edited by RFguy
  • Informative 1

Looks like it will be most directly comparable to the sportsman 2+2 (they both have the IO390 as an engine option and look to fill a similar mission). Van's has been tight lipped on seating etc, and the last video released from Aviation consumer had them re-iterating this is a design prototype so it will change, namely flap settings / tail config etc. They mentioned the baggage area goes well back into the tail requiring the stabilator, which like the Sportsman could open up +2 seating?

The sling HW may also fit into this niche, but its not designed as a STOL aircraft and has a lot less power (yes I know its turbo but they're not a magic). Its also marketed as a 4 seater.

The sling (TSi - I think the HW is slightly slower) and sportsman both cruise about the same ~140ish and have BRS as an option. Both are also really advanced kits designed to be built quickly, so vans may have their work cut out here.

I did notice pulled rivets in use a lot, so this may be a move toward bridging the gap construction wise. I have no doubt this will sell like crazy, as its Vans and a known quantity. Glasair have had their ownership issues in the past, and Sling may be a bit risky for some (thinking the US market here where they're less inclined to go with non-US things). Interestingly, both have innovated in construction to attract non-builders who want to fly faster. 

• Like 1

After reading the kitplanes article I am more convinced the RV15 when powered with the IO-390 will be a four seater. Only 4 sq feet less wing and 15 hp less than a Cessna182. After dad spends 5 years in the shed they will want to take their family or friends to the back country. A two or three seat version powered by the Rotax 915 will also be on the cards given rising fuel prices. The 915 is a kick arse engine that runs lean of peak when cruising.  

19 minutes ago, Kyle Communications said:

Can you imagine the cost of this kit?...The std RV's are way overpriced for a start

I suspect it will be up there with the RV10 in cost, but I don't think RV's are overpriced for what you get in terms of kit quality and aircraft performance. You can also add a lot of extra cost to the basic kit by your own decisions. For example, most RV10 builders seem put enough avionics in their panels to pay for a decent used Cessna. A US$40-$60k panel is pretty average. What really hurts builders over here is the exchange rate and freight.  My RV-12 cost $96k finished and flying in 2015. Today it would cost me at least $140k.

Edited by rgmwa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

After reading the kitplanes article I am more convinced the RV15 when powered with the IO-390 will be a four seater. Only 4 sq feet less wing and 15 hp less than a Cessna182. After dad spends 5 years in the shed they will want to take their family or friends to the back country. A two or three seat version powered by the Rotax 915 will also be on the cards given rising fuel prices. The 915 is a kick arse engine that runs lean of peak when cruising.  

It may do but 140 vs 82kg would need to move fairly far forward and be re-cowled / propped for a loss of 70 odd horsepower at sea level. 

• Like 1