Hemispherical Rules Stickers?

jackc

19 minutes ago, jackc said:

Would anyone know of a supplier for these please?  Looking to fit to my instrument panel…..

F55094A3-8F1B-47E7-8A82-6277C1FBFB46.png

It's worthwile doing the NAV course and Performance and Operations first. You would normally use this on the ground doing your flight plan away from the aircraft. 

Departure from the flight plan normally occurs in rough conditions or an emergency  where the primary objective becomes saving the aircraft from the imminent threat which is priority 1 over an open-sky collision possibility.

In doing those two modules you'll understand that a flight plan change en-route can be complicated because part of it is recalculating your endurance, ground speed on the new route, fuel burn etc. and this is what separates you from the magenta line followers who have fuel exhaustions. No problem in having a sticker in the panel, but the formal learning process came out of WW2 experience.

I know that I have to go through the process for my NAV but I thought it wise as an inflight reminder it would be a good idea.

It will be probably a long time before I go on a trip requiring a lot of planning……..I will be just happy to junket around locally 🙂 

7 minutes ago, jackc said:

I know that I have to go through the process for my NAV but I thought it wise as an inflight reminder it would be a good idea.

It will be probably a long time before I go on a trip requiring a lot of planning……..I will be just happy to junket around locally 🙂 

The local trips are where you learn and test your flight planning. There's an enormous sense of achievement when you get your first correct furl burn result at the end of even a short trip; it gives you a foundation of confidence. 

• Like 1

CASA has created these in little cheat sheets with other useful stuff like cloud clearance etc. They are giveaways. Ring them & they will send you some or download them if you can find them on their  website. The Part 91 Plain English guide has everything in it as well.

• Informative 1

5 hours ago, jackc said:

Would anyone know of a supplier for these please?  Looking to fit to my instrument panel…..

F55094A3-8F1B-47E7-8A82-6277C1FBFB46.png

That's odd: it's different in NZ:

Part 91, General Operating and Flight Rule. CAA of NZ

91.313 VFR cruising altitude and flight level
(a) A pilot-in-command of an aircraft operating within the New
Zealand FIR under VFR in level cruising flight at more than 3000 feet
AMSL or 1000 feet AGL (whichever is the higher) must, unless

otherwise authorised by an ATC unit, maintain the following altitudes or
flight levels:
(1) when operating at or below 13 000 feet AMSL and—
(i) on a magnetic track of 270° clockwise to 089°, any
odd thousand foot altitude AMSL plus 500 feet; or
(ii) on a magnetic track of 090° clockwise to 269°, any
even thousand foot altitude AMSL plus 500 feet.

I'm guessing that's because we are a long country lying on a roughly N/S axis, so most traffic would be travelling in either a northerly or a southerly direction.......

• Informative 3

NOSE made sense in NZ & on the east Coast here you are often on a track up the coast so close to magnetic North  you chop & change a bit so it is hard to keep to a regular cruising altitude. I am not going to porpoise around so just stick to what I originally planned. Of course depending on the wind your track and heading can be quite different as well.

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

And it's magnetic TRACK so you need to plan rather than  JUST Go to.  Nev

I don't quite understand what bad practice you're tilting at here, Nev. 

If nothing else, GPS GoTo pointers (and their much maligned magenta lines) do, at least, keep you firmly on a given "magnetic TRACK".

(For a start, satellites don't give a damn about your local winds, nor your heading.)

Sure, in the olden days your night-before planning was all you had, to come up with a heading to keep you to a track magnetic. But as a method, it called for lots of faith in forecast winds, your old whiskey compass and your ability to read a map etc.  But hey, it usually worked out and for sure was/is great sport ... precisely because it was/is difficult.

But since GPS, if holding a magnetic track is the main game then no amount of 'planning' comes close to following that 'JUST GoTo' boogey man.

Obviously there's more to the art of flight planning than that.  But, with the help of EFBs etc. I'd say it's practised better and safer today than ever.

Good flight planning and magenta lines are hardly categorical opposites. 

BTW, I believe we're supposed to track hemispherically above 3,000' now.

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1

Yes, now 3,000 feet plus.

I don't see why you would need the card. It is odds+ to the right and evens+ to the left of the north-south line. Very easy to remember.

Wasn't much harder in the old days with quadrantal rule.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Why bother with all those WEEOs and things, it is easy to remember and you will need the info for planning, not so much in your cockpit. Some things just have to be remembered, otherwise you will spend too much time looking for the info on your panel.

• Like 1

I have decided to print one out, laminate it and put on my panel. Ned to make up my checklists and do same as a quick reference laminated little notebook, too.  Committing checklists to memory is not a good idea, previous owner of my J-230 had one with aircraft, pretty dog eared now…….so it must have got some use.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, jackc said:

I have decided to print one out, laminate it and put on my panel. Ned to make up my checklists and do same as a quick reference laminated little notebook, too.  Committing checklists to memory is not a good idea, previous owner of my J-230 had one with aircraft, pretty dog eared now…….so it must have got some use.

A5 ring binder with laminated pages, works well then you can put new pages in faster than CASA can change the rules.

• Like 2

Good idea, have already done POH in A4 and A5, to carry in aircraft. A4 stays at hangar.

FBED04DF-0AE1-4C57-8AB0-51E17174E3C6.jpeg

Edited by jackc
add pic
  • Like 2