Pi**ed Off - myGov ID and DIRECTORS ID vs ASIC for Airports - Why are we sheep to the Government?

SSCBD

So I now have a myGov account and a separate myGov ID account and also I had to get a separate Directors ID - Please - Defund the Government now it costs us our lives in stupidity. 

So this is DEFINED AS

myGovID and your myGov account are different
Your myGov account lets you link to and access government services like Medicare and the ATO. myGovID is the Australian Government's Digital Identity app you can use to sign into a range of participating government online services like myGov.

To set up your myGovID, you need:

1. a smart device. The myGovID app is compatible with most smart devices and is only available from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
  2. a personal email address. As it's your personal Digital Identity, your identity documents will be linked to the email you choose. ...
  3. to be 15 years or older.

However, as I am a director of a company, they want more 

A DIRECTORS ID

What is director ID in Australia?

A director ID is a unique identifier given to a director who has verified their identity with us. This will help to prevent the use of false or fraudulent director identities.

Are we over governed or what?  
Why with all this information do we still need a bloody ASIC for airports - now that anyone who has a minimum of a  myGovID  has provided enough ID to all government Depatments. 
As the accountant said - the government tells you to bend over, and an "unlubricated pineapple" is inserted backwards in your REAR. 
ENJOY.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, SSCBD said:

So I now have a myGov account and a separate myGov ID account and also I had to get a separate Directors ID - Please - Defund the Government now it costs us our lives in stupidity. 

So this is DEFINED AS

myGovID and your myGov account are different
Your myGov account lets you link to and access government services like Medicare and the ATO. myGovID is the Australian Government's Digital Identity app you can use to sign into a range of participating government online services like myGov.

To set up your myGovID, you need:

1. a smart device. The myGovID app is compatible with most smart devices and is only available from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
  2. a personal email address. As it's your personal Digital Identity, your identity documents will be linked to the email you choose. ...
  3. to be 15 years or older.

However, as I am a director of a company, they want more 

A DIRECTORS ID

What is director ID in Australia?

A director ID is a unique identifier given to a director who has verified their identity with us. This will help to prevent the use of false or fraudulent director identities.

Are we over governed or what?  
Why with all this information do we still need a bloody ASIC for airports - now that anyone who has a minimum of a  myGovID  has provided enough ID to all government Depatments. 
As the accountant said - the government tells you to bend over, and an "unlubricated pineapple" is inserted backwards in your REAR. 
ENJOY.

You need to make an appointment and go and see your Commonwealth Government Member with all the facts typed up so he can easily send that up to the responsible  Minister.

Plenty of people have a good spit at the people they congregate with, but that doesn't start the process.

"The Government" is a lot of specific Departments, your issues belong to two or three of them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

iT'S SUCH A LOAD OF CRAP, JUST DID IT. Remember the try on by the gov back in the 80s- the "Australia Card" and they got rejected. So then they just came up with the ATO TFN instead as the number...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SSCBD said:

the government tells you to bend over, and an "unlubricated pineapple" is inserted backwards in your REAR.

For those taken by the American fad for acronyms, the above sentence can be reduced to BOHICA - "Bend Over. Here It Comes Again".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

ASIC with its two year horizon is necessary. It’s been explained that it’s not for “now’’ but ‘’when “.  Today it’s superfluous tomorrow maybe not - and then it will be too late to vet and issue.

5 minutes ago, walrus said:

ASIC with its two year horizon is necessary. It’s been explained that it’s not for “now’’ but ‘’when “.  Today it’s superfluous tomorrow maybe not - and then it will be too late to vet and issue.

I beg to differ - there is no rational argument, that has been put forward, for the continuation of ASIC, as applied to private/sport/recreation level pilots using minor regional airports.

Even the Sport Pilot (issue 102) article  "Red cards in a post - 9/11 world" page 98 by Dr Luke Howie, is laughable in its contradictions and unenthusiastic endorsement of ASIC.

Its implementation was a kneejerk over reaction to Sept 11. Its continuation is politically less risky, than to  take a stand and rescind it ie there are so few votes from aviation, it is easier to ignore our complaint, than to do something about it.

While I applauded well informed/researched plans for the future, we should never be forced to adopt the convenient paranoia of the self serving politicians - fear (of what might happen) has always been a political tool, used in this case as an excuse not to rescind this ridiculous half baked ASIC.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Its implementation was a kneejerk over reaction to Sept 11.

It was in response to some terrorist activities where people simply walked on to an airfield started up light aircraft and went on their mission to crash the aircraft on a city target; from memory the attacks that did occur were erratic and didn't do much damage. There were also the pilots in the 9/11 attacks who trained at US airfields.

After Victorian elections I used to have dinner with a Minister; when my side won I shouted, when his side won he shouted. In 2002, 14 months after 9/11 which had already faded from most people's minds including mine, I asked him what he was going to do. He said the new government would focus on security and water. I asked him why Security? and he said We've got 12 terrorists convicted and locked up in prison from the last three years, but the scary thing is we don't know how many more are out there.

A lot of the key people like Osama Bin Laden who had the skills to organise attacks around the world and organise the conditioning of young people have been taken out, but we the public still don't get to know how many are locked up and how many are out there we don't know about.

The recommendation I made four days ago sets in motion an action system in the Member's office, which usualluy results in a visit to the Minister or Shadow Minister and if there's smoke can lead to a question in question time or to a Senate Committee Hearing if there is any substance to the claim.

In 2015 the Government had decided to drop bulk billing and make us pay around $80 to $120 per visit. I happened to be in the Parliament, and dropped into the Senate Committee Hearing when the people's complaints played out. The people weren't getting anywhere until the local GP from Tamworth made his submission. He pointed out that he had to rent a large Clinic, pay staff, power, cleaning, reception, materials etc and was not making a lot of money after that. He said if bulk billing was dropped a lot of his patients wouldn't attend and would becomes more seriously ill, and he would have to close the clinic and could make more money working out of the local hospital. There were some murmurs and talk among the Senators as both major parties realised that meant they would be paying for all the doctors, not the States, and the Committee was brought to a close. Bulk billing wasn't dropped.

By someone asking about ASIC it triggers someone to check the current status, and if in addition to the personal visit a three or four page submission, which covers the pros and cons is handed over it could well be that a committee is set up to take evidence.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Turboplanner -

I have no recollection of "terrorist activities where people simply walked on to an airfield started up light aircraft and went on their mission to crash the aircraft on a city targe" . If this did happen, there are better ways to combater such behaviour  eg  try having an ignition key in each aircraft and or locking the cockpit - we do it for car why not small aircraft (my last & my current both have this simple logical feature)

As I see it, the majority of pilots in the small aircraft fraternity, have consistently voiced our opposition to the imposition of ASIC on us, where it relates to minor airports around the country.  These pilots have not been heard no have the airport operators who have had considerable extra expense for no discernible benefit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skippydiesel said:

Turboplanner -

I have no recollection of "terrorist activities where people simply walked on to an airfield started up light aircraft and went on their mission to crash the aircraft on a city targe" . If this did happen, there are better ways to combater such behaviour  eg  try having an ignition key in each aircraft and or locking the cockpit - we do it for car why not small aircraft (my last & my current both have this simple logical feature)

It did happen; I believe ignition keys were tried; the result was the cabin padlock everyone uses today; you do have one fitted?

1 hour ago, skippydiesel said:

As I see it, the majority of pilots in the small aircraft fraternity, have consistently voiced our opposition to the imposition of ASIC on us, where it relates to minor airports around the country.  These pilots have not been heard no have the airport operators who have had considerable extra expense for no discernible benefit.

They certainly have voiced their opposition to each other. There are several threads on tis forum and others, and the threads eventually peter out so instead of 200 people contacting the government just a few have, so it's seen as a non event.

I've given the pathway to the OP, so I guess we will see if he has a meeting with his Member, and starts the ball rolling. I did that on another subject about three years ago and the issue was fixed in a fortnight. Nothing to stop you doing the same.

• Like 1

The bottom line is, people need to be trained to fly aircraft. No-one in their right mind jumps into an aircraft and tries to fly it without some level of training. I do err ... there have been a couple of attempts in this style (stealing an aircraft with no flying training). I recall one was at Kalgoorlie, and I STR there were a couple of others. The attempts all ended in a rapid and fatal crash.

Even the 9/11 terrorists knew to acquire some level of training. So the interception of air terrorism starts at the training and instruction level - not wire fences and ASIC cards at remote country airports.

There is a need for personnel controls at airports where the numbers of personnel at airports reach levels where employees are not known to each other. Remember, port areas are also subject to strict security, and there's plenty of good reasons behind those arrangements.

Cybersecurity is another area that is currently high on the agenda, and authorities have only just woken up to the potential dangers in that area. 

Critical infrastructure security is the main item that's high on the agenda today, but all security systems need regular checks and examination to see if they're working to the nations best advantage.

And at the end of the day, no amount of cards or security stops a qualified pilot from developing and nursing a grudge in isolation, and carrying out an air terrorism attack, a la the Connellan attack.

So alertness to individuals with flying skills, displaying anti-social behaviours, and talking of "ending it all" or carrying deep grudges and mentioning acts of aerial revenge, should register alarms, and be reported. I believe someone would have noticed previously errant behaviour on the part of Capt Zaharie Shah, but it was never mentioned, nor ever reported.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm no fan of the ASIC card, but I get the need to manage the number of people that can be airside at an RPT airport to those with a genuine need. If someone has an evil intent, I'm sure they could still find a way to get airside, ASIC card or not.   The entry gate codes are usually readily known for starters.

ASIC cards are just another (expensive) form of ID that are a pain to renew.  I use my face to open my iPad and I don't need an ASIC card for it.  I came through passport control at Sydney airport about a month ago and just looked at a camera. I wonder if that's where we are headed ? 

George Orwell was right.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Carbon Canary said:

I'm no fan of the ASIC card, but I get the need to manage the number of people that can be airside at an RPT airport to those with a genuine need. If someone has an evil intent, I'm sure they could still find a way to get airside, ASIC card or not.   The entry gate codes are usually readily known for starters.

ASIC cards are just another (expensive) form of ID that are a pain to renew.  I use my face to open my iPad and I don't need an ASIC card for it.  I came through passport control at Sydney airport about a month ago and just looked at a camera. I wonder if that's where we are headed ? 

George Orwell was right.

Before Sept 11

The ground staff (& occasionally crew) would keep the public on the terminal side of the fence and shepherd the passengers to/from the aircraft.

Unfamiliar faces around hangers, picnicking on the runway threshold, etc would be challenged by maintenance/ local pilots/engineers and the like.

After Sept 11

What has changed ?

Nothing other than having to go through the charade and expense of acquiring an ASIC and airfield owners having to put up extra fencing (may not go very far) with a security (ha!) gate- its a complete shame.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

It's pretty farcical. Our Planes can take off from  Paddocks and dirt roads anywhere. They can't carry a great payload either,  range far or go fast. Road Vans are far more of a threat. THIS is an example of something "Looking" to have been addressed. It's BS. Nev

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Before Sept 11

The ground staff (& occasionally crew) would keep the public on the terminal side of the fence and shepherd the passengers to/from the aircraft.

Unfamiliar faces around hangers, picnicking on the runway threshold, etc would be challenged by maintenance/ local pilots/engineers and the like.

After Sept 11

What has changed ?

Nothing other than having to go through the charade and expense of acquiring an ASIC and airfield owners having to put up extra fencing (may not go very far) with a security (ha!) gate- its a complete shame.

You're only telling, us, the converted Skippy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, turboplanner said:

You're only telling, us, the converted Skippy.

I am a financial member of RAAus - asides from expecting various practical aircraft/pilot services, I also expect this organisation to represent its  members to the powers that be ie our champion/voice when the need arises.  I am unaware of RAAus having any on going position/action on this matter, despite the majority of its members wishing that they would do so.

RAAus uses the magazine Sport Pilot as one of its main communication mediums - in recent times we have had two, what I would consider, ASIC promotional articles. Both very poorly articulated, the last (referred to above) almost gave the impression that the author, Dr Luke Howie,  was dragooned into writing it, such was the poverty of his argument.

I have expressed my surprise and objection to Sport Pilot taking, what I see as,  a pro ASIC position - seemed to fall on deaf ears.

To give credit where due - Sport Pilot, Issue 102,  the Editor, Nickolas Heath,   "Editors Welcome", Page 3, did make  a  rather light weight, fence sitting,  possibly negative comment (reading between... as they say) on  ASIC 

• Informative 2

Skip, I say again, the ASIC is part of a living, ongoing, counter terror strategy. That is why it requires updating every two years. It’s not about 9/11 or yesterdays threats. it’s for the next one, whatever and whenever that may be. It’s superfluous now but  one day it may be your only way of entering an airport. This much was indicated. I know nothing else about counter terror.

• Informative 1

There are asic based security checks as well as ASIO checks, why both? If it's terrorism based threats the worry then why not leave it to ASIO? They have files on all pilot licence/firearms/explosive licensed holders why duplicate the checks? 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2