What's the weather like in your part of Australia

BrendAn

Along the Castlereagh we've had our share of rain, but the Sun came out a week or so ago and with the winds the ground and crops have dried. Now I see dust clouds moving across the paddocks, but the clouds are made of wheat dust and they are simply billowing from the waste chutes of the headers. During the day the temperature hasn't climbed much into the high 20's, so I wonder if those header drivers have even bothered to turn on the air conditioning in their cabs. 

It was 14C in the house this morning at 6:00 o'clock. Now that's a worry to me because I set a batch of mead to ferment last night and maybe the chill affected the yeast. But then I remembered that mead is a traditional brew of Europe where 15C would be considered "just right". Remember that the International Standard Atmosphere has the temperature at sea level at 15C and air pressure at 1013 hPa. And at Bourke, 350 ft AMSL, this morning at 7:00 am, that's what you got.

If only the cold could slow the flies.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

21 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

Miserably cold and overcast again today. No shed work or flying. Dog is despondent. Wife has gone for morning tea with her mates. Still waiting for the ground to dry out to mow the nature strip.

Was Billabong Bill the fleet-footed footballer according to the title here, or did he habitually drop his haitches, even in his epithet?

But the champion whinger of all times must be Hanrahan, of the little parish of St Mel's

"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,

In accents most forlorn,

Outside the church, ere Mass began,

One frosty Sunday morn.

http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/authors/obrienj/poetry/hanrahan.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Great Wx at Mackay area early in the morning before 1100 hours; thunderstorms late afternoon.  Images from today's flight 16th December 2022.  Typical summer season.

IMG_5232.JPG

IMG_5238.JPG

IMG_5244.JPG

IMG_5247.JPG

nice photos

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Unusual one might say or rare in recent times. Certainly the constant wet puts a dampener on many of the things we would want to do. It certainly makes the grass, weeds, trees etc GROW fast.  Nev

they say watching grass grow is slow, i reckon ours gains an inch every time i look at it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pmccarthy said:

Tar was melting on our roads today. Cheap patchups from a month ago.

thats been happening for a few years in vic. a new intersection near us peeled off to the gravel on a 32deg day. that never used to happen until it got to the 40s.

• Informative 1

Gippsland weather the last 3 months or so, has been a case of:  Drivers beware...unusual number of birds sighted, waddling across roadways recently.... 

• Informative 1

24 minutes ago, F10 said:

Gippsland weather the last 3 months or so, has been a case of:  Drivers beware...unusual number of birds sighted, waddling across roadways recently.... 

Yes ,when I do training at Bairnsdale  there is a warning for birds around the airport. And unsealed runways have been closed due to rain for months.

• Informative 1

Yes, you are correct, West Sale has had the grass runways closed for extensive periods. As has Yarram airfield, 05/23 grass runway closed, with "X" placed at both ends. Apparently still did not stop one visiting aircraft landing on it! But I think you missed my meaning...the Gippsland weather has been so bad, even the birds are walking! 🙃

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, F10 said:

Yes, you are correct, West Sale has had the grass runways closed for extensive periods. As has Yarram airfield, 05/23 grass runway closed, with "X" placed at both ends. Apparently still did not stop one visiting aircraft landing on it! But I think you missed my meaning...the Gippsland weather has been so bad, even the birds are walking! 🙃

that flew over my head, now i get it. 😁.

• Like 2

To you too Franco. Hope I'll have a quiet one. WE never stop mowing either. 3 CM hail last night not far away and brief torrential rain.. I remember going into Cairns plenty of times with rain so heavy you'd wonder how the Plane can fly in it and that big hill on one side not far away. Cheers  Nev

• Like 4

The weather is really crazy. Snow about a week ago in some areas, torrential rain enough to almost close Tulla with some international flights diverted a couple of days ago, 30 deg today, with 35 - 37 tipped for tomorrow. What the ????

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The wind has only to  change  and it can be  from the south pole or the equator. The weather comes to YOU. courtesy of a prevailing wind from a furnace or an icebox.  The most incredible air experience  Ive had at work is to enter a snowstorm at Kinglake West with all the Landing lights  ON after leaving Darwin in tropical heat  at 13 30,  8 hours earlier.   Nev

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Feels like you could roast pork and make crackling outside. Blessed be air conditioning. Don't envy the cricketers. I see David Warner showing the effects a bit.

• Like 1

Fine and sunny in Paradise on the Left Coast again. Just made 25°C a little while ago, now it's dropped back to 24.5°C at 2:00PM, with the sea breeze in. The forecast was for 27°C, doesn't look like it will make it.

A very pleasant week coming up, going to heat up a little bit from after the New Year, by the look of it.

http://www.bom.gov.au/wa/forecasts/perth.shtml

• Like 2

Warner made his 200, leapt in the air, and got leg cramp. Retired hurt. Had to be assisted off the ground. Replaced by Cam Green. Made 6 runs, hit on his bowling hand,  with a possible broken finger. Retired hurt.

12 hours ago, red750 said:

Warner made his 200, leapt in the air, and got leg cramp. Retired hurt.

But since he retired "Hurt" he can come back to get a further 19 or so runs to set the record for the highest runs scored by a batsman in his 100th test match. Cummins would have to put two ball & chains and a straight jacket on him to keep Warner off the field.