Filling high-wing tanks

35 minutes ago, Flightrite said:

Christ all we want do is put gas in a tank that’s above our head height. I use a 10L jerry placed on the wing with one of those cheap and nasty D  battery powered spike pumps from Ebay, a back up jiggle syphon does just as well,  jobs done. I’m getting g a headache reading all this mumbo jumbo😂

M.........while all this has been going on I have put 20L across 2 tanks, the old fashioned way and been out flying.......twice!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, facthunter said:

IBob is normal height isn't he?   Nev

Who..............wants ta know??????????????

I'm distinctly average........but with a few outstanding bits.........)

Edited by IBob
  • Haha 2

Onetrack - Thanks for that, Clearly  I erred however I am fairly sure that the chemical resistant ones are not available in Australia. I tried to find them and every supplier said not available. I purchased my plugs from JayCar - I assume they are origional. I tool two back & they replaced them,  after I accidently splashed them with petrol & they just cracked through, all over.

I dont see any refence to your "P" chemical resistant designation in the information you have provided. Do you know of an Australian supplier of the P type?

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Informative 1

In any case, there have been less useful threads.
At least this one had a beginning, a middle and an end:
pmccarthy:  ".... Does anyone have suggestions for filling high-wing tanks?"
Neil S:  "I have been using one of these for several years with no problem ..."  Cheers, Neil
 pmccarthy: "I have just ordered one of these. Looks like the easiest way to avoid spills."
A

3 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

I can just see it now, two skeletons under the shade of a wing with a hand written note "We didn't use P ty.....p.........e...................

More like "We ignored the wisdom of the RecFlying collective!"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Re the Plug for ext power. It needn't be live to the ext power is connected. Automatic relay with light in the cockpit when energised.    Nev

So if battery dead, relays not working, how do you charge/boost your battery without removing the cowl?

3 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Onetrack - Thanks for that, Clearly  I erred however I am fairly sure that the chemical resistant ones are not available in Australia. I tried to find them and every supplier said not available. I purchased my plugs from JayCar - I assume they are origional. I tool two back & they replaced them,  after I accidently splashed them with petrol & they just cracked through, all over.

I dont see any refence to your "P" chemical resistant designation in the information you have provided. Do you know of an Australian supplier of the P type?

Skippy, the supplier below indicates they supply chemical-resistant Anderson plugs. 

https://www.mrfilter.com.au/anderson-plug-red

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Carbon Canary said:

If you get a chance can you ask your mate how much lift these things will deliver to ? ie. will they pump directly upwards say, 1m ….and how much slower is the delivery at that height ?

For the one I posted....

At one metre it takes about 4 minutes for 20 litres,  on the wing it takes just under 3 minutes. 

I should have mentioned that the spike is about 35mm wide and doesn't fit all drums.  Fits my red "Scepter" drums not the black ones or my other red ones (SCA from Supercheap)

20221226_184827.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

To the question asked of me on ext Power, the light indicates power available. Ideally you then select EXT,  OR it could use it's own  dedicated relay in the plane to do it automatically which is less safe. This removes the need to remove the cowl for charging or powering electrics when servicing.  or jump starting. DANGEROUS.  Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

To the question asked of me on ext Power, the light indicates power available. Ideally you then select EXT,  OR it could use it's own  dedicated relay in the plane to do it automatically which is less safe. This removes the need to remove the cowl for charging or powering electrics when servicing.  or jump starting. DANGEROUS.  Nev

To the best of my, admittedly limited, knowledge all relays require power. If your battery is dead you wont be able to activate the external power plug to allow for charging  or jump start.  This is why I have my external power in/out as the only circuit that does not go through the master switch. Yes this is an additional risk which I have sought to minimise by oversupplying the system.

Does "DANGEROUS" refer to the prop alone? or are there other issues? covered by this statement.

Proximity of prop and rapid engine overheating are risks.. With the ext Pwr relay activated by the correct connection of the ext power there's no unprotected wiring needed.. A manual over ride is also possible to use the aircraft battery if needed.. ALL this is NOT rocket science

• Like 1

Slightly heavier starting solenoid. Leave it connected for a while before cranking and the lower charged battery will pick up some ergs and help the starting.  That's your extreme case. take a bit more time and charge it. you shouldn't commence a flight with a dead battery.  Nev

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Slightly heavier starting solenoid. Leave it connected for a while before cranking and the lower charged battery will pick up some ergs and help the starting.  That's your extreme case. take a bit more time and charge it. you shouldn't commence a flight with a dead battery.  Nev

Thanks Nev, looked at this option a while ago but wasn't happy with the ratings compared to the likely surge current when jump starting from a Lithium jump pack.

Just a quick edit - I hadn't considered using a starter that is only energised at time of use (by the start pack), was looking at continuous duty, your suggestion will work fine. Ill be giving it a go.

Mike

Edited by Tasmag
  • Like 1

On 23/12/2022 at 12:53 AM, SAJ said:

I used to use a JROCPRODUCT fuel transfer pump, it pumped 9 Lt min and had a cutoff switch just like a fuel bouser. I used it for couple of years and it was great, but I didn't like putting 20 Lt jerry cans on my Jabiru wing. So I came up with another refueling system, I mounted a 90 gallon an hour Hollie fuel pump on my firewall connected to a 4-pin plug mounted on left hand side of my dash and then connected back to the battery, I have a 2 m length of 4 wire cable with an ON/OFF switch at one end and the other end plugs into the 4-pin plug, I have 2 quick connect fittings at the bottom of my firewall that go to the IN and OUT on the Hollie fuel pump , I then have two lengths of 12mm clear  hose with quick connect fittings, one hose is a meter long and goes from my 20 Lt jerry can near my nose wheel to the IN quick connect on the Hollie pump, the OUT hose is 3m long and I can reach both fuel tank. I can put my Mr. Funnel in my wing tank, put the hose into the bottom of the funnel and it stays there, I turn on the switch and it takes 5 minutes to pump 20 Lt.

Works a treat.

• Like 1

This looked like the answer and so I bought one, but the nozzle doesn't fit into the Vixxen or the Foxbat filler. It would, but they have a breather line inside the filler which fouls the nozzle. I tried discharging it manually and got fuel all over the wing as usual! The search continues.

image.thumb.jpeg.720f4b13e6bf50b6c1a3e6a149ad8d09.jpeg

• Informative 1