The Latest Outstanding Communication from RA-Aus

IF it came to the crunch (I don't think  it will, for me I hope) a DAME grounded me?

I would still fly IF I wanted. I have been studying Internal Medicine for over 8 years!

I have been a paid subscriber of medical journals in that time as well.

Having seen some disastrous medical findings in my life has been enough for me.

I have seen a Doctor fired from a medical practice as a result of my complaint.

• Like 1

The DAME does licencing  on behalf of the CASA and your GOOD GP arranges for your health needs. . I've always been strongly  advised not to mix the two.. A good GP is harder to find than a DAME.   Nev

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jackc said:

IF it came to the crunch (I don't think  it will, for me I hope) a DAME grounded me?

I would still fly IF I wanted. I have been studying Internal Medicine for over 8 years!

I have been a paid subscriber of medical journals in that time as well.

Having seen some disastrous medical findings in my life has been enough for me.

I have seen a Doctor fired from a medical practice as a result of my complaint.

I can understand all of that; medical professionals are no more immune from mistakes than the rest of us but you're looking at the DAME back to front. The Unlimited Commercial Vehicle equivalent, the Basic Class 2 is for people who know they are healthy and its cheaper because a less authorised Doctor makes the decision, but if he/she finds you have a condition, you're out, whereas the DAME is allowed to manage your condition. It's well worth looking at the Austroads pathways back to work for truck drivers who've blacked out once, or several times, or have high blood pressure. This is where it's better to go for a full Class 2. 

Edited by turboplanner

20 minutes ago, facthunter said:

The DAME does licencing  on behalf of the CASA and your GOOD GP arranges for your health needs. . I've always been strongly  advised not to mix the two.. A good GP is harder to find than a DAME.   Nev

Fortunately for me, my GP of 15 years is also DAME and knows his stuff, we have many ‘medical’ discussions about things when I visit.  Scary part is he is retiring soon 😞  

I have ‘sacked’ a few Doctors before I found him 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turboplanner said:

I can understand all of that; medical professionals are no more immune from mistakes than the rest of us but you're looking at the DAME back to front. The Unlimited Commercial Vehicle equivalent, the Basic Class 2 is for people who know they are healthy and its cheaper because a less authorised Doctor makes the decision, but if he/she finds you have a condition, you're out, whereas the DAME is allowed to manage your condition. It's well worth looking at the Austroads pathways back to work for truck drivers who've blacked out once, or several times, or have high blood pressure. This is where it's better to go for a full Class 2. 

I think you’re being a bit dramatic. All it means if you can’t get and unrestricted commercial Ausroads is that you have to then see a DAME, who yes, may be able to manage your condition. 

11 hours ago, Flying_higher said:

I think you’re being a bit dramatic. All it means if you can’t get and unrestricted commercial Ausroads is that you have to then see a DAME, who yes, may be able to manage your condition. 

It would be good if people would take the time to read the 500 pages or so of CASA and Austroads documents to see why CASA would take so long to make a change, and what that change might mean for them.

I have ask WHY 500 pages of stuff to do a reasonable simply task in what should be an easily understandable document for lay people, since they are the ones who need to abide by it all.

People wonder WHY I am rules adverse, well now you know 🙂

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jackc said:

I have ask WHY 500 pages of stuff to do a reasonable simply task in what should be an easily understandable document for lay people, since they are the ones who need to abide by it all.

People wonder WHY I am rules adverse, well now you know 🙂

I read it. It's in plain English. Pretty much in the English you have tyoed above. I didn't get to read the Austlii Legislation; didn't need to.

End up in a Court of Law based on Austiil Legislation, you will need to know it backwards or a Barrister could take you to the cleaners…….?

We have deeper pockets than you. I've heard that a few times. You'll get LAW, NOT justice. That's what a Clerk of the Court told my father.  You can HAVE your DAY in court but it rarely helps you and it's NOT cheap. The deck is stacked against you. .Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

THE Law only works for influential and wealthy people here now. It's SO expensive as to be not accessible to the ordinary person effectively in this country.   There is NO VOICE to the courts for the "People" Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

After these marvellous insights into the legal system I don't see why CASA can't make the decision today, and just say, You're going up going up to us but you'll be using a LAME to maintain that aircraft, you'll all be on Basic Class 2 medical, and you guys can just keep going with the car medical, but there's to be no instructing from the ground.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, turboplanner said:

After these marvellous insights into the legal system I don't see why CASA can't make the decision today, and just say, You're going up going up to us but you'll be using a LAME to maintain that aircraft, you'll all be on Basic Class 2 medical, and you guys can just keep going with the car medical, but there's to be no instructing from the ground.

That could be the case. We already know group G will require LAME maintenance. Only the medical remains a mystery.  

There will not be enough LAMES in certain places, the shortage will cause a lot of grief.  No good making rules IF support infrastructure is not available so people can reasonably comply?

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

That could be the case. We already know group G will require LAME maintenance. Only the medical remains a mystery.  

Agree, medical must be the hold up (would set a new precedent I reckon they don't want or need).

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 1

Instructing from the ground is when the instructor cannot sit beside the pilot , due to the aircraft only having One seat .

Student will have a proven flight record in a dual seat aircraft .

spacesailor

54 minutes ago, Flying_higher said:

The medical requirements do not change for Group G. They remain totally the same. RAA has said that on numerous occasions. 

For more myth busting see here. https://www.raa.asn.au/calendar-of-events/mtow/

If it was only upto RAA we would have had group G some time ago.