AOPA - response re Class 5 self declared medical declaration

Bill

31 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

That link is to Ben Morgan giving us his opinion.

Was the AOPA submission a collection of Members' submissions, or was it just a submission by AOPA itself?

I take it that that is the reply on behalf of members and that individual members may have the same, slightly different or vastly different opinions.  Ben does a very good job with his comments and gives opinion and his knowledge of evidence in chunks so it can be further commented on if needed.  And considering his recent accident I believe people must give him greater credit for his effort and thank the team that are with him.  

AOPA aus is the only independent voice ordinary pilots have in Australia. Ben speaks as President and the members decide who the president is by an approved and visible Election process from time to time. Nothing unusual about that.. I was a member for years.   Nev

2 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

I take it that that is the reply on behalf of members and that individual members may have the same, slightly different or vastly different opinions.  Ben does a very good job with his comments and gives opinion and his knowledge of evidence in chunks so it can be further commented on if needed.  And considering his recent accident I believe people must give him greater credit for his effort and thank the team that are with him.  

I raised the question because Australian Flying 23 June 2023 had a story "AOPA CEO leaves Medicals Working Group".

Agree 100% with Ben and AOPA.  The CASA proposal, as always, is redolent with weasel words and qualifications that destroy any idea of reform. The application of the criminal code doesn't help either.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, facthunter said:

I don't do facebook.  Nev

Life is too very, very short to waste time searching fæcebook for AOPA stuff.  It would be far better if AOPA used text and images rather than 2 hours of video.  It would also help if they used email rather than fæcebook.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Seems to me that class 5 is all about removing objections to RPC having controlled aerodrome/airspace endorsements

so CASA would probably be forced to make it more leinent than they want to.

I expect a PPL with class 5 will be;

VFR only

10,000 ft only

1 passenger

pretty much the same as a RPC with self declared medical.

PS

I also expect RPC controlled endorsements to happen reasonably quickly due to pressure from YWSI restrictions if it does not.

PPS
Sort of makes you wonder what will happen in the near future if RPC and PPL (class 5) effectively become the same.

Edited by BurnieM

48 minutes ago, BurnieM said:

Seems to me that class 5 is all about removing objections to RPC having controlled aerodrome/airspace endorsements

so CASA would probably be forced to make it more leinent than they want to.

I expect a PPL with class 5 will be;

VFR only

10,000 ft only

1 passenger

pretty much the same as a RPC with self declared medical.

PS

I also expect RPC controlled endorsements to happen reasonably quickly due to pressure from YWSI restrictions if it does not.

PPS
Sort of makes you wonder what will happen in the near future if RPC and PPL (class 5) effectively become the same.

Think how a Self Declared Medical will work in the flying environment. The legal onus shifts to ........

?

The same as it does for RPC.

The same as it does in the UK for PPL.

The same as it does in the US for SportsPilot.

Worldwide CASA type authorities have always shat on the pilot first, second .....

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, BurnieM said:

?

The same as it does for RPC.

The same as it does in the UK for PPL.

The same as it does in the US for SportsPilot.

Worldwide CASA type authorities have always shat on the pilot first, second .....

You assume the legal obligation to report any impediment to flying and the consequences of that report.

Personally I'd rather have the security of a Dame making that decision.

The problem comes if you have a blackout due to that diabetes you just forgot to declare etc. resulting in an accident.

3 hours ago, BurnieM said:

"PS

I also expect RPC controlled endorsements to happen reasonably quickly due to pressure from YWSI restrictions if it does not."

YWSI? = Young Women's Summer Institute?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

There is only one authority in the world like CASA & that's CASA.

If you want to measure incompetence you can't really go past ACCC, ACMA or ASIC - actually they are as bad as all the other QANGOs and departments.

• Agree 1