Shipping a kit by road in Australia

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I couldn’t find a thread if it has. 

Who have you used for road transport of large crates, and would you use them again? Alternatively, if you transported it yourself (car trailer, flatbed truck, etc), did you insure the transport, or just hope that no one ran into you? If you insured, who did you use? Thanks!

28 minutes ago, sfGnome said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I couldn’t find a thread if it has. 

Who have you used for road transport of large crates, and would you use them again? Alternatively, if you transported it yourself (car trailer, flatbed truck, etc), did you insure the transport, or just hope that no one ran into you? If you insured, who did you use? Thanks!

how long and wide are the crates and where is point of pickup and delivery

The above "Aircraft Carrier" is a  1975 Viscount Supreme Caravan that I converted in a bit of a hurry to pick up the Sonex.

Towed it down to Leongatha, S Gippsland, Vic. Loaded the almost completed Sonex Legacy and returned to The Oaks NSW with no damage/difficulty. It was a 20 hr round trip. Vic roads are awful.

The Aircraft Carrier boasts internal tidowns, on each side, about every meter. It has also carried an RV 6.

Electric brakes on all 4 wheels and fully rebuilt suspension.

Its has NSW registration to near the end of the year.

Tows nice & straight - doesnt wonder.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Semi's going the other way knock an exposed plane around with the wind they take with them. Nev

never have any trouble when i move planes, even passing roadtrains going the other way.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, BrendAn said:

how long and wide are the crates and where is point of pickup and delivery

4m long, but don’t know the other dimensions at this stage (will find out shortly). Melbourne to Sydney(ish).

For those of you who did the move yourselves, did you have any insurance, or just trust your skill at avoiding accidents?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sfGnome said:

4m long, but don’t know the other dimensions at this stage (will find out shortly). Melbourne to Sydney(ish).

For those of you who did the move yourselves, did you have any insurance, or just trust your skill at avoiding accidents?

check your car insurance . policys cover the trailer too. i don't know if that includes what its carrying though.

NSW Car insurance only covers a 6X4 trailer. Not anything larger . Not even 6X5 .

skip , did you reinforce the caravan,  as I tried to do the same . But was advised the frame need'd the internal furniture for rigidity. 

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

You will pay a fortune to have a 4M long crate moved by a transport company. Transport companies charge by actual weight (deadweight) or cubic measure, and in your case, a light 4M crate will be charged by cubic measure, so it will cost as much as transporting an average car. The webpage below will assist you.

https://www.couriersandfreight.com.au/help/cubic-weight-calculator

In addition, transport companies will not pick up or deliver anything but parcels from residences - and even then, some transport companies charge extra to pick up from residences.

For a crate that size, the transport company will demand a commercial premises for pickup and delivery, and a forklift on both sites for loading and unloading.

The best technique will be to hire a flat bed car transport (car-carrying) trailer with a deck length of at least 4M. Most have decks 4.2M long. For insurance, you will be well advised to contact an insurance broker who can arrange single-trip insurance.

Your car insurance will not cover a 4M crate with an aircraft kit in it, unless you have specifically stated you want trailer loads insured when you took out the policy.

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 1

9 hours ago, spacesailor said:

skip , did you reinforce the caravan,  as I tried to do the same . But was advised the frame need'd the internal furniture for rigidity. 

spacesailor

Yes - Your advisor was/is correct, however I have made good the integrity by installing additional ribs.

If you look at the photo with the fuselage inside, you will see blue steel square tubing. These "ribs"  plus the rear door frame, attached to the chassis, provide additional lateral rigidity. The original aluminium frame/skin provides longitudinal rigidity.

In addition to enhancing vans rigidity (probably better than what the original internal fittings provided) the ribs offer options for loading - components like wing empennage can be secured above the fuselage if required.

FYO -

• Most of the windows were broken/missing -
  • Those that still had a functional frame, I replaced the glass with translucent polycarbonate corflute sheet.
  • I used the removed rear end body work, to fill in/delete the front windows entirely.
  • The van now only has one opening window and the two side doors for ventilation.
  • The three roof vents have been deleted and "patched" with sheet aluminium.
  • I replaced all 12V wiring & lights.
  • Aesthetically she looks a bit rough, being converted in a hurry, but is structurally sound - could do with a lick of paint.

The Aircraft Carrier is available for rent or purchase😎

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

We use Barnetts for odd size freight up the east Coast. 4-6m crates regularly. Their rates are significantly better than DHL, Toll or TNT.

But they don't do direct, so whatever you're shipping, will be forked on an off at their depots.

and they won't help load/unload it, so you either manhandle it on/off yourself, or forklift if you have one.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I went Gympie to Melbourne with  a four wheel trailer with a plank extending rearwards for the tailwheel and the wings removed and stacked together resting on foam on their leading edges  and strapped to a vertical square tubed steel frame down one side separated by and wrapped in  large rubber sheet foam spacers with all bits likely to rub protected. No way would I go any distance  with a set up like Bernie has shown. Opposing traffic will bring very high airloads with it. Especially Semis and maybe your plane will never fly again. I ran the tyres at reduced pressure too as there's not much weight involved. Being on it's own wheels,  tyres  and suspension, helped the fuselage to travel OK. It will need proper preparation even in a crate.  Nev

Edited by facthunter
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, BrendAn said:

Not as flash but the flat bed is great.

I prefer my crane truck because the ride is gentle for anything on the back

I agree, in general  BUT a "flat bed" trailer has the following potential disadvantages which must be managed;

• As Nev pointed out the aircraft is subjected to buffeting (passing trucks/high winds) which may cause damage either directly or due to movement against restraints/tie downs.
  • Inclement weather - it is close to impossible to tarp an aircraft - best to wrap & use tape to restrain the covering (before tie down).
  • Gravel impact - as above 
  • For items strapped flat on the tray (wings) deck movement/flexing could be transferred to the aircraft structure. (bending/abrasion). Need to secure load while allowing some movement.
  • Strapping damage - Styrofoam sheet/ bubble wrap/etc can be used to prevent  damaged from point loading/abrasion
  • Again as Nev mentioned - the trailer (or truck) is designed for much heavier loads, so suspension tends to transmit a lot of jarring  (known as shaking the crap out of everything)- low tyre pressure helps a lot to smooth the ride but be careful, lowering the pressure too much will cause tyres to overheat/blow out. I reduced my tyres from 45 down to 30 psi and checked wall temperature twice over the first  30 minutes and about every 2 hrs thereafter.

With a bit of planning and a lot of care the above can be mitigated even prevented.

You'd be lucky to pick up a worn-out Viscount Fleetwood caravan in my neck of the woods for less than $5000!

People buy them, gut them and rebuild them, because new caravans are anywhere between $90,000 and $150,000!

The Viscounts were very well built and luxurious, I owned several of them in the period of the 1970's to 1990's, both tandem and triaxle, 27 foot and 30 foot.

They were beasts to tow, heavy, and strong crosswinds affected them badly. You were lucky to get them up to 90kmh, 80kmh was a good towing speed for them.

How about this purpose built plave carrier. Designed for a Pipistrel Aircraft but will fit anything, sides fold down for the wings to be fitted, electric winches, and long loading ramp will take just about any plane. Dual airbag suspension with special shocks.

I can get you the number if interested, there is a sign saying $7,500 on it.  Its just come a distance of about 2,000 kms so everything must be working.

image12.jpeg

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

I agree, in general  BUT a "flat bed" trailer has the following potential disadvantages which must be managed;

• As Nev pointed out the aircraft is subjected to buffeting (passing trucks/high winds) which may cause damage either directly or due to movement against restraints/tie downs.
  • Inclement weather - it is close to impossible to tarp an aircraft - best to wrap & use tape to restrain the covering (before tie down).
  • Gravel impact - as above 
  • For items strapped flat on the tray (wings) deck movement/flexing could be transferred to the aircraft structure. (bending/abrasion). Need to secure load while allowing some movement.
  • Strapping damage - Styrofoam sheet/ bubble wrap/etc can be used to prevent  damaged from point loading/abrasion
  • Again as Nev mentioned - the trailer (or truck) is designed for much heavier loads, so suspension tends to transmit a lot of jarring  (known as shaking the crap out of everything)- low tyre pressure helps a lot to smooth the ride but be careful, lowering the pressure too much will cause tyres to overheat/blow out. I reduced my tyres from 45 down to 30 psi and checked wall temperature twice over the first  30 minutes and about every 2 hrs thereafter.

With a bit of planning and a lot of care the above can be mitigated even prevented.

I can only speak from a lot of experience and have never had problems. Have a look at how well packed the trailer was in my photo. Carpet . Foam and old pillows seperate and protect everything.  

I don't know how the planes didn't fall to bits according to what I am being told here. A bit insulting really.