Worst aviation scenes in movies

Marty_d

I've just seen a corker. Watching "The Phantom" starring Billy Zane (I know, it's shite, but I used to love the comics).

There's a scene where he and the girl are in a Grumman Sea Cat which is about to crash because it's almost out of fuel. So the Phantom flies over a long clearing, his horse is galloping along in front of them. He gets Diana to stand on the left pontoon, "jams the stick", he gets out on the same pontoon (this is whipping along 8 feet off the ground, with no flap) - amazingly, the weight shift doesn't send them into the ground - then he jumps into the saddle of his horse. About 5 seconds later Diana jumps too and he catches her.

Now I can't find any performance details on the Sea Cat, but the Grumman Ag Cat, which looks very similar, has a stall speed of 56 knots (103 km/h).

The highest recorded speed of a race horse is 70.76 km/h.

So apart from the fact that an aircraft, no matter how well you jam the stick, will not maintain a smooth and steady height of about 8 feet AGL in a perfectly straight line (especially with both the occupants standing on the same pontoon), there's also the problem of the horse being able to run about 40km/h faster than the worlds fastest racehorse. (And not be concerned that there's a howling radial engine just above its ar*se.)

Who comes up with this sh*t????

• Haha 4

Guest Howard Hughes

So you were watching a movie based on a comic book and expecting cinematographic accuracy? They are movies, they are meant for entertainment, just enjoy them! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Good pickup Marty. I like the Phantom, but if they got even the simple stuff like the flying and the horse wrong in the movie, who knows what else they've probably bungled. Think I'll just stick to the comics. I'm sure they're OK.

079_throw_pc.gif.e071c8f36d135c7f050383c74279afc6.gif

rgmwa

Not a movie but a book - Temple by Matthew Reilly (read it a long time ago so the memory is foggy). 3 of them in a Maule catching up to & chasing a large cargo plane with a bomb in a tank? (set to destroy earth) to 30,000 ft. Our hero climbs onto the nose while the injured Israeli soldier inches it close to the back door so he can reach out and press the big button that opens the huge cargo ramp, pull back, and let the hero leap into the cavernous interior to fight the bad guy while trying to guess the passcode to disarm the bomb. No people got filleted or sconned by props or descending ramps and he lived to go into a sequel when his borrowed vest turned out to be a ground proximity sensing rocket assisted soft landing type device despite the fall from 30,000ft, part of that inside an armoured tank (missing the Maule "by that much" - with apologies to Maxwell Smart).

036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Sheesh!

Sue

Campaigner for Truth in fiction.

• Haha 3
  • Winner 1

Marty that horse was 'Hero' no ordinary horse!!!!

The Ateam has a hilarious scene with them 'flying' a tank, and also some interesting scenes with helicopters doing low level loops and blades that stop 'every' bullet without sustaining any damage at all.

At least one of the Indiana jones movies had an interesting interpretation of physics in regards to planes without engines and people without parachutes. (Good guys can survive amazing falls but they have to be the good guys otherwise it would kill them from half the height)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The McGuiver episode when they built the ultralight to escape using the engine from the cement mixer ... that just happened to be a Rotax 503 ... but hey, it was cool as a kid to watc. much less fun to watch Mythbusters 'bust' the episode but there you go, reality vs entertainment

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guys, Howard the Duck is the best movie of all time. Looping Quicksilvers, barefoot skiing behind them, all shot before full blown CGI and some great flying and a great movie about a talking duck that cant fly called Howard. You've got to watch it!

[GALLERY=media, 3417]Tim Heylbut | Facebook by flyerme posted Feb 12, 2015 at 6:08 AM[/GALLERY]

Without the scarf causing all that extra drag, you'd have probably got an extra 20knots (at least) out of the old girl, and caught them Tim.

Maybe next time.

• Haha 1

Now I can't find any performance details on the Sea Cat, but the Grumman Ag Cat, which looks very similar, has a stall speed of 56 knots (103 km/h). The highest recorded speed of a race horse is 70.76 km/h.

The screenwriter forgot to mention that the horse was galloping into a 45 Km/Hr headwind ? ? ? ? ?

( Just a thought. . . . . . )

• 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Haha 1

Rambo firing the RPG from inside the chopper. or flying the chopper one handed we all know its a both hands and feet job on the old hueys. And when they can't gat the right sound for the turbo prop planes WTF

• Like 1

633 Squadron . . . . . I feel a bit bad about mentioning the "Planes wobbling about on bits of string" Flying sequences . . . . but there wasn't much CGI about in the late fifties / early 60s,. . . . . I was pleased to see one of it's stars, Cliff Robertson, flying his sailplane on a documentary last year, must be getting on a bit and I wondered if he was a pilot when they filmed the movie. . . . . The theme music is still my favourite mobile phone ringtone. . . always gets the kids asking WOE is THAT ? ? ? Then I educate them a bit about my memories of WW2. . . .! ! !

OOps,. . .drifiting again. . . . . Sighnomi Parakalo, Scusi.

Phil

**Edited to add** W O E Wot On Earth ? . . .