The XPB Stage 1 underway.

In Australia with most jobs now being casual there is no sick pay, you either go to work sick or can't pay the rent. Can't pay the rent then it's out on the street with the other homeless people and ex-veterans. How Australia has progressed in the last 30 years.

I am 71,72 this year and i get job offers albeit short term,there is work out there,but the workplace has changed probably hardet for someone who had no experience

Depends what job you are going for, as a pilot in GA (AG and fire) work has dropped away to virtually nothing. Weather plays a big part but it's a very mercenary profession, a lot of AG pilots now go overseas for employment. Might be different this winter with the rain they will be screaming for pilots shortly but as I said a lot of pilots have organised work away. When AG work is on your expected to fly 60 days straight then as soon as the work dries up your gone. Summers are a bit different on fires, if your on contract work that means work for at least 3 months. Last winter I decided not to go away and stayed and worked locally any work I could get, clearing native forest of weeds and pines/planting trees and welding/fabrication. All casual work (No sick pay) with no guarantee of continuing work past the weekend, pays enough to keep some groceries in the cupboard and that's about it.

My economist neighbour had an idea.

The Covid-19 SEEMS to only be fatal to the elderly or those with existing respiratory and/or cardiac problems.

He reckons that instead of shutting everything down, we should consider isolating those people (along with their carers) and let the virus rip through the rest of the population.

(I guess his idea is that we get it out of the way quicker, and there's f-all chance of stopping it).

Bex's description of the crackdown in China simply wouldn't work in most democracies. Jeez here in Tassie there was a bloke in Launceston supposedly self-isolating while he waited for the results of a test, he went and strolled around the local IGA. Turns out he was positive too.

• Like 2

50% of the Australian coronavirus sufferers have recovered with no treatment, and no lasting after-effects.

So I don't really see what's different with this virus, to the normal Winter 'flu, that every second person catches, and which also impacts entire nations and affects productivity.

The regular 'flu varieties kill thousands of people in the same "at-risk" categories, as the coronavirus categories. There's panic about the transmissibility of the coronavirus, but the regular 'flu varieties are also highly transmissible, too.

• Agree 1

So I don't really see what's different with this virus,

Well there's enough info out there that you should know.

I suggest you have a look what's happened in Italy via these various charts, including recovery ..

Italy Coronavirus: 9,172 Cases and 463 Deaths - Worldometer

italy.jpg.06a1f2f8e756d4dca8905132333e328f.jpg

The front floor board supports are in...

1917427729_Floor1.jpg.9fe8aac3d75f290c448bfdeeb52abcda.jpg

Pulled my (outer) mould off, it's fine, and using the same pattern for the inner mould by merely filling it up with resin and a bit of matting, with a chunk of foam to take up a lot of the volume.

I can use the same pattern for the inner because it's a simple rectangle with all sides tapered, and the inner will simply wedge into the outer. Will test the theory tomorrow alt=:)https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/styles/default/xenforo/clear.png[/img]

976851653_Mold1.jpg.cbb597fc8a09d7d4fbdf6dfdb0fdc92b.jpg

Hi Bex,

Nah, gave it up in my late teens.

what are the fibreglass trays for?

It's a gusset/connector plate that ties the HS front spar, middle VS post and upper and lower rear fuselage sheets together.

Simple, eh?

• Like 1

I trust you lodged a patent on that Allen key de-burrer - otherwise, some smart-axxx will beat you to it, and become a squillionaire, based solely on your mega-efforts, in nutting out the design, and putting it into production.

I've lost my ability to seriously capitalise on similar major workshop inventions, that took me a whole 30 secs to invent - such as using a wheel as a bending former. I've seen Colin Furze get rich on my intellectual property. Be warned. :cheezy grin:

• Haha 1

After a few days rest again I did some more. Good that I'm slowly getting back to strength, but **** my knees are still a bit weak after a year of laying and sitting around, oh well, just got to keep pushing ...

I molded up my gusset/joining plate and pulled the part out this morning, now affectionately referred to as the 'ashtray' (thanks Marty) ...

1359756235_ashtray1.jpg.0fae6896c2ff5d94f0db38f670af8ce3.jpg

.. and this is what it does, joins the HS front spar to the upper and lower rear fuse sheets, and the mid-way post for the upper and lower VSs ...

560857612_ashtray2.jpg.d5f30f5490696fc1aab560214619993f.jpg

• Like 1

After a few days rest again I did some more. Good that I'm slowly getting back to strength, but **** my knees are still a bit weak after a year of laying and sitting around, oh well, just got to keep pushing ...

I molded up my gusset/joining plate and pulled the part out this morning, now affectionately referred to as the 'ashtray' (thanks Marty) ...

[ATTACH type=full" alt="ashtray 1.jpg]51514[/ATTACH]

.. and this is what it does, joins the HS front spar to the upper and lower rear fuse sheets, and the mid-way post for the upper and lower VSs ...

[ATTACH type=full" alt="ashtray 2.jpg]51515[/ATTACH]

No worries. When you become rich from this I'll remind you of the copyright obligations. :cheezy grin:

All good aircraft have bits named after what they look like instead of the technical name....Hockey stick panel, pork chop panel, cookie jar and salad bowl are are few that I've seen.

• Like 1

The regular 'flu varieties kill thousands of people in the same "at-risk" categories, as the coronavirus categories. There's panic about the transmissibility of the coronavirus, but the regular 'flu varieties are also highly transmissible, too.

The various authorities I think tried to smooth things by talking about cases, and the deaths at that stage were very low, so people thought in terms of comparing with last year's flu outbreak where there were 59,000 cases.

The 2019 flu season, the worst in many years, caused 100 deaths in Australia.

Covid-19 projection released by the Deputy Chief Medical Officer for Australia, Paul Kelly two days ago were:

Best Case: 50,000 deaths

Moderate: 100,000 deaths

Worst Case: 150,000 deaths

Nothing has happened in the last few days to change that, which is why Australia is going flat out to try to flatten the peak early.

Cancer sufferers will know this tactic, where treatment is aggressive as early as posssible so the doubling is delayed for as long as possible.

As Bex pointed out, for once a totalitarian government had a big advantage by controlling its population and squashing the bell curve; but you only have to look at the people trying to save the football industry instead of their parents and grandparents to see the difference.

• Like 3

As Bex pointed out, for once a totalitarian government had a big advantage by controlling its population

Maybe not intentional, but you have made that sound bad to some people. The truth is the Gov here works very closely with the people keeping them constantly informed, and has a good track record in these situations.

I see in another forum that one American is complaining about the previous Avian Flu: "I was appalled at the powers that state governments have, enforceable by police powers, to mandate behavior of individuals and businesses. I hope that we do not get to policed quarantine". poor attitude really, and a non-acceptance of what's going on.

In other news on this theme, hordes of Chinese are currently flocking back to China where they believe it's far safer during this period after seeing how individuals in their various Countries they are in presently are behaving.

• Like 1

The various authorities I think tried to smooth things by talking about cases, and the deaths at that stage were very low, so people thought in terms of comparing with last year's flu outbreak where there were 59,000 cases.

The 2019 flu season, the worst in many years, caused 100 deaths in Australia.

Covid-19 projection released by the Deputy Chief Medical Officer for Australia, Paul Kelly two days ago were:

Best Case: 50,000 deaths

Moderate: 100,000 deaths

Worst Case: 150,000 deaths

Nothing has happened in the last few days to change that, which is why Australia is going flat out to try to flatten the peak early.

Cancer sufferers will know this tactic, where treatment is aggressive as early as posssible so the doubling is delayed for as long as possible.

As Bex pointed out, for once a totalitarian government had a big advantage by controlling its population and squashing the bell curve; but you only have to look at the people trying to save the football industry instead of their parents and grandparents to see the difference.

TP, are you sure you got the numbers to the right factor there?

An expert on the radio today was talking about between 5,000 and 15,000 deaths. I wasn't listening to the whole show though, so it may have been for a state instead of the whole country.

TP, are you sure you got the numbers to the right factor there?

An expert on the radio today was talking about between 5,000 and 15,000 deaths. I wasn't listening to the whole show though, so it may have been for a state instead of the whole country.

The 15,000 was quoted over and over as deaths a couple of months ago. I just went on the US CDC site and they are listing 16,000 deaths (in the US) from 280,000 infected in the 2019-20 season to date (out of about 300 million people). So I think that's what ws being quoted

I've checked several times recently for 2019 flu deaths, and the number keeps coming up as 100 from 59,000 cases for 2019 Australia

Australia is still talking cases with 110 on March 12 and 454 on March 17 so our doubling has started.

This was quite an interesting press conference today by the Premier of Victoria (now calling himself Chief minister, as part of the new National Cabinet)

Dr Brett Sutton the Medical Officer for Victoria let us have a bit more serious information at around 10:06, suggesting the serious phase my stretch out to 10 months if we don't achieve the flattening of the bell curve that they want.

I finished the gusseting of the floor runners, had a thin piece of 3 ply laying around the shop, threw a layer of fiberglass onto each side of it to make it a bit stronger and waterproof it, trimmed it, painted it and one floor done.

1336171718_floorboard1.jpg.bd2757f4f31668dc008d1c3157720997.jpg

832954458_woodfloormaybe.jpg.2b3938e51c2603c562a1d1c378e31301.jpg

• Like 2

I finished the gusseting of the floor runners, had a thin piece of 3 ply laying around the shop, threw a layer of fiberglass onto each side of it to make it a bit stronger and waterproof it, trimmed it, painted it and one floor done.

[ATTACH type=full" alt="floorboard 1.jpg]51553[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH type=full" alt="wood floor maybe.jpg]51554[/ATTACH]

You could have left it wood-grained for that retro look...

You could have left it wood-grained for that retro look...

You might splinter people's opinions on that.

Guys, looking at Facebook tonight, there are people using China's current calm on the virus to suggest it's not a big deal, and that vaccines aren't necessary.

No way, please ignore it, as I mentioned the cultures and people's disciplines here are completely different, please do not be apathetic about this.

In the last 2 days, Germany went from 10,000 to 20,000+ infections, in the same time worldwide it went from 200,000 to 280,000. Why aren't these numbers scaring people?

Northern Italy is just tragic, a reasonably small area and 800 more died yesterday, now 5000 deaths, and the first case was reported there only 7 weeks ago

• Agree 2

And wouldn't it be lovely if that little clip was hammered on commercial TV so all those silly folk might take this issue seriously (and that includes high officials who allow cruise ships to discharge infected people without forced quarantine)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

and that includes high officials who allow cruise ships to discharge infected people without forced quarantine

There's already a dozen new cases in Sydney directly linked to those cruise ship passengers.

Meanwhile at Bondi Beach ..

Bondi.jpg.876375f1bd7bb744695ce750d07ab17d.jpg

They had to be removed by Police.