Silly aviation pictures.

Cobalt

- and I need heaps of forward stick too - b

By the looks of the elevator, he's put in heaps of back stick.

And BP, that's one hell of a glass panel in the rear seat.

mein gott, I did it:[ATTACH]38249.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38250.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38251.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38252.IPB[/ATTACH]

Defence cuts.....new low budget AEW&C???

Which begs the question: What advantage does your typical semi driver get by sitting 0.75m from the asre end of the car in front on the F3 at 110kph???

Stress relief,lol

Maybe we should look at it from another perspective.......What advantage does your typical Forester driver get by sitting 0.75M in front of a semi on the F3? (the semi is speed limited to about 102 max)

(the semi is speed limited to about 102 max)

A few years ago (ok, about 20 years ago) I was riding up to QLD on my VFR750.  South of Sydney I was sitting on a leisurely 150km/h when a semi overtook me.

On the back was the "100 speed limited" sign.

A few years ago (ok, about 20 years ago) I was riding up to QLD on my VFR750.  South of Sydney I was sitting on a leisurely 150km/h when a semi overtook me.

On the back was the "100 speed limited" sign.

Yeah... maybe 20 years ago. Things have got a bit more strict about heavy vehicle speed limiting, and point to point cameras etc.

I had four un-mufflered Massey Davidsons come up behind me this afternoon - they couldn't overtake because there was oncoming traffic (they take no notice of double lines)

the closest one was about one metre behind me - the others weren't far behind - if I'd hit the brakes I would have got all four of them, easy peasy....

I thought about it for a moment, then thought "ah far kit, let the morons go - twood be nice to rid the planet of four oxygen thieves, but I don't want to go to jail for such a treat"

and these quarter wits are actually trying to tell us that they take the mufflers off their Harley Fergusons as a safety measure because motorists can hear them coming...what's that noise I hear overhead?

oink oink oink

BP

I love siting at traffic lights on my Harley idling about 800 rpm and a regular "pop" pop" emanating from the fish-tailed muffler, listening to the music on the car radios beside me. Also  I can ride off from my house and not wake up the dead in the cemetery in the next suburb.

Anyone, motorcyclist or ute/Subaru driver who thinks that blaring exhausts increases machismo must have two dicks.

Our local coffee shop has a sign over the pissoir. It reads...

"Please consider our neighbours when you leave. Minimise the noise.

Harley riders, this does apply to you, too."

Furthermore, I'm annoyed. When I got knocked back on a roadworthy because my exhaust was 6Db too loud, I pointed out that most HD's were louder, he said "Yeah, I know. But they're Harley's". Grrr!

yeah I'm with you Pete, what a crock - there is no will on the part of the pleece to do anything about this blight on humanity.  They should be pulled over, booked for Undue Noise, and sent for roadworthy check for noise

so they will go home, put the standard mufflers on, do the test, pass, go home, put the straight through pipes on, and go for a ride

and then Mr Plod should book them again (and again) until they get the god damn message - I live 6km from a major road (betwixt Boonah and Ipswich) and we can hear these dills as plain as day every weekend...

there endeth the rant (for the time being)

BP

Just to clear a minor point, the offence of "Undue Noise" relates to the machinery of a vehicle. About the only example of that is the use of a compression brake. I think this offence dates back to the early years of motoring when cars would clatter and bang. Over the years the engineers have removed the causes of that sort of noise.

The loud noise from engine silencers is covered by the offence of "Inefficient Silencer"

As you say, give a hoon an invitation to visit the Environment Protection Agency's noise testers, and the faulty silencers will be whipped off like a bride's nightie before the hoon rocks up for the sound test. As soon as the test has been completed, the noisy system goes back on.

Shows just what lame brains these hoons are. The engine designers have spent a motza getting the best exhaust flow possible within the legal parameters, and the hoons , with no degree of learning in the area, decide that they know more than the boffins.

• 1 month later...

"within the legal parameters,"

And most GOOD mechanics can wring a few more horses from a lot of "mass produced" motors.

Just take a trip to the motor race track, Not too noisy, but lots of gee gee's doing the quarter mile .

Same with manufacture's putting out a higher HP motor of the same capacity as the stock motor.

spacesaier

• 2 weeks later...
And most GOOD mechanics can wring a few more horses from a lot of "mass produced" motors. spacesailer

Quite so. But you have identified my point - "GOOD mechanics", not " lame brains hoons".

It's a rare very quiet exhaust that's not robbing significant power from the engine's potential. Noisy motors give the rider the $#1t$ after a few miles whatever the source. The screaming little high Revvers with open exhausts are much worse than the HD blatters. Just listening to 14,000 revs makes you tired. Harley s are fair game for anyone, anytime apparently. Always was and evermore will be. You can actually enjoy the ride at a sensible speed , (shock horror) and it's not a race bike so must be ridden by wimps... There's only one place for race bikes .On the track. They are good at that but not so good on a dirt track or when there's leaf on the road. or on a wet road without rain tyres. The ride position is uncomfortable also for long trips.. Really poor bikes wouldn't sell especially for fairly high prices . and resale value is a good index of what the inherent value is.. There's so much craap about with Harleys that people buy some "real" ( but non Harley and therefore acceptable), "junk" rather than cop the constant BS and put downs. Nev

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...