Light plane makes emergency landing on WA road

Will be booked for speeding, straddling lanes, no 'Wide Load' sign, bald tyres, no reg and unroadworthy.

Internationals reading this will think I'm joking ...

Wow, that was a good effort. A highway, even a major sealed highway, is a pretty narrow target for landing on with a big twin, there's little margin for error each side, and roadside obstructions such as big signposts, are a major hazard.

You get a bit of crosswind landing on a highway, and you can be in the roadside ditch and going end-for-end, or ripping a wing off, quick smart.

Not to mention the possibility of meeting a triple-trailer road train, right at the wrong moment!

Funny how when it all works out, it's all a bit "Ho Hum" .

But blow a tyre, spin out of control and injure/kill a few people and the stories very different, yet the divide between the two extremes can be very slim....

The Weekend Australian has more pics. You can see how narrow the width of sealed asphalt is, each side of the MLG.

I think I would have been calling for the brown-corduroy trousers change, right after it stopped rolling!

Nocookies

"..and police later closed the road from Sandfire to Roebuck Plains Roadhouse".

Why the hell did the Police close the road? Overkill idiots.

Begeezus that crap irritates me, push the thing to one side and drive around it. Now thousands* will be stuck for who knows how long in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere, and in Summer (Broome 32 degrees today), trying to get somewhere.

*I retain the rights of exaggeration to force a point.

Little to much air in the fuel tanks by the sound of the report, good outcome in the end. Pilot is going to be busy answering questions from the authorities today

I like how he got it right on the centre line

Winds conditions at ground level range from calm to just a few knots, throughout most of the Kimberley in the last 24hrs. I'd imagine that was of great assistance. That, plus no road trains occupying that particular section of road, right as he touched down.That'd definitely put you right off the centre line. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.a3ff7382d559df9a047d5e265974e5f3.gif

Good outcome. It's been pretty wet around that area lately. Wouldn't be easy to push it off the road without bogging it. Keeping it straight isn't a problem with good nosewheel steering. That's more people than I thought you could get into a conquest.. Nev

"Light plane"Cessna ConquestMTOW = 9850 lbs (Approx 4450 kg)

Empty Wt = 5682 lbs (Approx 2575 kg)

Puts it just outside RAAus weight limits.

It's still classified as a light aircraft.

Irony is lost on some people

The journalist called it a light plane; given the constant level of attacks here on journalists, I'm pointing out that the journalist correctly categorised it.Irony or not, this is what may well be flying right behind you in CTA if that ever comes in.

Wouldn't be easy to push it off the road without bogging it.

Yes if it was really wet it would be an issue, for the vehicles going around it, but the video in post 1 clearly shows the ute driving around it on dry, solid ground. Not that I would care if it got bogged, that's their problem, not the road users.

The journalist called it a light plane; given the constant level of attacks here on journalists, I'm pointing out that the journalist correctly categorised it.

I couldn't resist the chance to snipe at the Fourth Estate

Irony or not, this is what may well be flying right behind you in CTA if that ever comes in.

When they are not under air traffic control they need to be able to overtake one another. In this event, the faster-moving aircraft must overtake on the right-hand side, or starboard side, of the slower aeroplane.

VL-Rules5.jpg&key=f12044d0a6894208540c144bf85b2c128de2609a9b4e9ff25703c07b00c4817b

A little while ago I watched a rather bulky small turbo jet land at Bankstown. I wonder if ATC issued a warning for wake turbulence to the Foxbats and Jabirus on Finals after it.

A little while ago I watched a rather bulky small turbo jet land at Bankstown. I wonder if ATC issued a warning for wake turbulence to the Foxbats and Jabirus on Finals after it.

I've received a "Caution Wake Turbulence" from time to time, so they probably did.

That's more people than I thought you could get into a conquest.. Nev

I flew with Skippers as a passenger in the turbine Conquests for a number of years....9 or 10 onboard if I remember correctly....I always found it funny that we flew with one pilot but executive management flew with two. More important people I guess ...... (sarcasm)

So how was the engine(s) problem fixed? Put some fuel in? Nev

We'll only get to find out in about 2 years time.The word is the pilot did nothing wrong, and everything right.

Can't see any fuel dripping on the highway, so that eliminates someone leaving a fuel line fitting loose.

So the only conclusion is, misfuelling, a fuel pump failure, or fuel supply blockage.

The fuel supply system has multiple pumps - so, for both engines to stop, would mean multiple mechanical failures.

Fuel Systems

I suspect the 1500mm of rain and massive flooding around the Kimberley during the last month or so, just might be a factor here.

Water contamination in underground tanks is a pretty regular factor in fuel handling, you have to be on top of it at all times.

So how was the engine(s) problem fixed? Put some fuel in? Nev

That was suggested by our own journalists.The ABC journalist, in the first post reported: "Engineers are working to determine the cause of the engine problems."

Will be booked for speeding, straddling lanes, no 'Wide Load' sign, bald tyres, no reg and unroadworthy.Internationals reading this will think I'm joking ...

You may larf and dismiss this as bullcrap BUT,. . .a local farmer that I know personally has been helping the highways authority to clear snowdrifts from the local roads using his tractor, fitted with a snow blade. . . He has done this for a few days, expecting no thanks from the council, as they are complete and utter assholes, only interested in their expenses and other interests. . . He asked if the local council would at least cover the costs of his diesel fuel for clearing the roads,. . .and their response was to threaten him with penalties for using Red dieisel ( Farm diesel ) to run his plough tractors on the highway. . . . .

I HATE THESE FECKING ASS HOLES to the bottom of my heart and wish them all a painful death.. . . .who the hell voted for these creeps anyhow . . . . they certainly are not qualified members of the Human race. . . .