Classifieds Scam, Used Rotax

Guest nunans

Your link is missing the m in .com but it looks to be taken down now anyway. How did you know it was a scam?

Ad is still up, my link doesn't work. Its ad number 4999 on aviation advertiser.2012 rotax 912uls 164hr and transponder $5000

I know its a scam because money is gone and no engine was sent.

I think it is a fake seller copying a legit ad and detail etc, the person collecting the money is not the name on the ad

I searched this forum before paying, hoping to find some warnings of these fake ads in our classifieds but found nothing... hopefully the next person to search will find this thread.

Before you buy anything from ads, do a search on the seller name, and the photos used.

The name used by this scammer (Goran Stojkovic) is the name of a well-known Serbian footballer. Suspicion level - 10/10.

You right click on any photo in the ad, and see if Google can find it. Sometimes you need to improve the description that Google automatically picks for the photo.

Google will find any photo ever posted publically on the 'net - and which photos are stolen regularly by scammers.

Unfortunately, the photo of the Rotax in a crate, used by "Goran Stojkovic", is easily found, on an RV-12 builders blog.

So, that photo has been stolen and used by the Rotax scammer. The scammer never even bothered to crop the photo!

I'm sorry you got ripped off, it's a rotten feeling. Many years ago, I got ripped off for $800 for a new Sony digital camera by a scammer in Japan. His sales patter was smooth and constantly re-assuring.

I even had faxes going back and forth between us - which convinced me he was genuine. I got supplied with a traceable office address, and even a telephone number.

I should have woken up, when he required me to use an untraceable, early "electronic payment" agent - Evocash - that was new on the scene - "to avoid unnecessary taxes", as he explained, of course.

In my eagerness, I transferred the money, and he promptly disappeared like the morning mist. A lot of us have to pay dearly to learn these expensive, hard-earned lessons.

Scammers ad - http://www.aviationadvertiser.com.au/detail.php?id=4999

912 in a crate, photo - DOG Aviation John's RV-12 Blog: RV-12 Powerplant Kit Inventory Completed

A search on the second photo, of the engine on a wheeled flat trolley, shows the scammer trying to sell the engine on an Italian aviation site, and stating it's located in Rome.

Rotax 912 uls 100 CV, paramotore usato in vendita

The second engine photo has been stolen from another RV-12 builders website.

Torsten's RV-12: Engine Arrived

Always ask for as much information as possible and in the case of an engine; the serial number.

Then you can give Bert Flood Imports a call and they will tell you who owns the engine and where it should be located anywhere in the world, not just Australia.

You should treat every advert as a scam until you have checked all the details, serial numbers included.

Im guessing the ad has been reported to authorities and the managers of the web site?

Yes, I used the online form on the site to report it as fraudulent, to the webmaster - but often, a lot of websites are managed by just one webmaster, and taking down fraudulent ads isn't a priority for them.

In regards ro Recreational Flying (.com) I can say that every new user is checked using many different automated systems, lookups to spam and fraud databases and then later manually checked by myself. I take the site extremely seriously and do my utmost to ensure you, the users, can use the site free from any worry or concern. Plus, If you report anything, it is always investigated.

I hope this helps

In regards ro Recreational Flying (.com) I can say that every new user is checked using many different automated systems, lookups to spam and fraud databases and then later manually checked by myself. I take the site extremely seriously and do my utmost to ensure you, the users, can use the site free from any worry or concern. Plus, If you report anything, it is always investigated.I hope this helps

Admin as you would know fraudsters are getting very lever these days even using ghost IP addresses and a network of 'sellers' that have zero past fraud history. It's user/buyer beware!

The bottom line is - if the item is priced well below normal market value, then one must be extremely suspicious.

A very low hour Rotax 912 ULS for $5000 is just a stupid price, no genuine owner would sell a near new engine for that kind of money, when a new one is well over $25,000.

Even for a time-expired engine with no exhaust, oil cooler or radiator, a local owner is still asking $6,500.

http://www.aviationadvertiser.com.au/detail.php?id=4114

The other clues to scams are people who only want contact via email - who use virtually untraceable Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo email addresses - and who want payment via untraceable methods such as Western Union.

Also beware of the seller suggesting using an escrow company that they have found trustworthy to supposedly protect you until goods received. That escrow company will have a legit looking website but is also a part of the scam, and the money will disappear. If you must follow the temptation of that sale, then use your own escrow broker who will only release your funds after you receive the article.

Im guessing the ad has been reported to authorities and the managers of the web site?

just to rub salt into the wound, The real goran stojkovic (who i was sent a photo of holding his id by the scammer and who is a genuine aviator and aeroclub founder) DID infact email [email protected] and notify them of the fake ad weeks prior to me loosing my money,,, but the ad wasn't taken down. i still don't think it's been taken down.

Before you buy anything from ads, do a search on the seller name, and the photos used.The name used by this scammer (Goran Stojkovic) is the name of a well-known Serbian footballer. Suspicion level - 10/10.

Unfortunately, the photo of the Rotax in a crate, used by "Goran Stojkovic", is easily found, on an RV-12 builders blog.

So, that photo has been stolen and used by the Rotax scammer. The scammer never even bothered to crop the photo!

I'm sorry you got ripped off, it's a rotten feeling. Many years ago, I got ripped off for $800 for a new Sony digital camera by a scammer in Japan. His sales patter was smooth and constantly re-assuring.

I even had faxes going back and forth between us - which convinced me he was genuine. I got supplied with a traceable office address, and even a telephone number.

I should have woken up, when he required me to use an untraceable, early "electronic payment" agent - Evocash - that was new on the scene - "to avoid unnecessary taxes", as he explained, of course.

In my eagerness, I transferred the money, and he promptly disappeared like the morning mist. A lot of us have to pay dearly to learn these expensive, hard-earned lessons.

Scammers ad - http://www.aviationadvertiser.com.au/detail.php?id=4999

There are many goran stojkovic's online, the scammer however provided a photo of a goran stojkovic holding his drivers licence to reassure me he was genuine, i looked up his name on google images and found the same guy had linked in profile which listed an i.t. business that he owns and also his qualifications as ultralight instructor, trike pilot licence etc. i thought creating a bs linkedin profile, aeroclub website listing his involvement, his own business with all addresses and contact detail etc would be too much trouble for a scammer and decided he must be genuine, What i failed to see was that i wasn't dealing with goran at all.

It turns out after talking with goran that he made enquiries about a fake ad by the same scammer months ago but smelled a rat and didn't pay, but he had already sent his details inluding the id photo via email to the scammer.

His identity was then stolen for future ads as he's a perfect candidate and has a large online presence which can be easily searched by potential victims like me.

There are many goran stojkovic's online, the scammer however provided a photo of a goran stojkovic holding his drivers licence to reassure me he was genuine, i looked up his name on google images and found the same guy had linked in profile which listed an i.t. business that he owns and also his qualifications as ultralight instructor, trike pilot licence etc. i thought creating a bs linkedin profile, aeroclub website listing his involvement, his own business with all addresses and contact detail etc would be too much trouble for a scammer and decided he must be genuine, What i failed to see was that i wasn't dealing with goran at all.It turns out after talking with goran that he made enquiries about a fake ad by the same scammer months ago but smelled a rat and didn't pay, but he had already sent his details inluding the id photo via email to the scammer.His identity was then stolen for future ads as he's a perfect candidate and has a large online presence which can be easily searched by potential victims like me.

Mate I know how you feel!I have one of those Foreign Currency Credit Cards in USD and when I checked the balance recently, all money gone by a number of transactions generated in Hanoi.

The Card has been in my Wallet all the time.

Ive heard that some Scammers have machines which generate milions of random Card numbers in the hope that eventually, one will come up with a valid number.

So now ive had to lodge DISPUTED TRANSACTION forms and will probably have to wait weeks or months before I get a refund, cant do a thing about it.