760kg upgrade and CASA consultation

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

This just came out about FAA possible upgrades  One of the interesting things is the adjustable inflight prop

I found the single lever power control segment interesting, Cirrus have had this forever, no magic or electronics, just a simple cam system.    

I found the single lever power control segment interesting, Cirrus have had this forever, no magic or electronics, just a simple cam system.    

Aircraft powered by Garret turbines have had single lever operation since the 60's

• Like 1

All very exciting for the US pilots, but it really doesn't have much relevance in Australia.

RAAus already is able to offer a huge range of endorsements to the RPC - read them all in the Endorsement Syllabus in the Ops Manual, or better still, have a look at the Endorsement Form on the website.

An RAAus pilot can already become endorsed on a manually adjustable propeller control - it doesn't require much in the way of understanding and certainly isn't such a difficult flying control that the average pilot can't manage it in addition to flying the aircraft. Of course, they are expensive.

But, a pilot here can also become endorsed to retractable undercarriage, to tailwheel, to waterborne, to formation flight, to low level flying, and to glider and hang glider towing.

As well, we don't have any limitation on the speed that we can fly an RAAus aircraft at - the US suffers from the 120kts limitation that has always been with them.

We are soooo much better off than our US counterparts. Thank your lucky stars for what we already have.

happy days,

All very exciting for the US pilots, but it really doesn't have much relevance in Australia.

RAAus already is able to offer a huge range of endorsements to the RPC - read them all in the Endorsement Syllabus in the Ops Manual, or better still, have a look at the Endorsement Form on the website.

An RAAus pilot can already become endorsed on a manually adjustable propeller control - it doesn't require much in the way of understanding and certainly isn't such a difficult flying control that the average pilot can't manage it in addition to flying the aircraft. Of course, they are expensive.

But, a pilot here can also become endorsed to retractable undercarriage, to tailwheel, to waterborne, to formation flight, to low level flying, and to glider and hang glider towing.

As well, we don't have any limitation on the speed that we can fly an RAAus aircraft at - the US suffers from the 120kts limitation that has always been with them.

We are soooo much better off than our US counterparts. Thank your lucky stars for what we already have.

happy days,

You may find though, despite being limited to 120 kts, fixed gear and prop, that you don't need an endorsement for many things, such as low level, formation and aerobatics. To me that really doesn't add up as better off here.

While I am thankful that it's not worse, it could easily be better.

• Like 2

you don't need an endorsement for many things, such as low level, formation and aerobatics.

True - LL isn't really defined by the FAA, so provided you don't endanger anyone it's accepted. But DYO?  FF is another thing, as I thought that this required a pilot to 'be competent' in whatever activity they wanted. Probably spelled out under the FAA Part 61.  How do they achieve this.? Can't imagine that people just go out and DYO formation?  Aerobatics? - wasn't aware this was ok in LSA in the US?  Good luck to them learning under a DYO system. 

Our Aussie RAAus system is only mirroring the GA system here, (Part 61), and it is not going to change as long as CASA exist.

happy days,

CASA hate AOPA big time so I can see CASA making rules that really get up AOPA's nose just for spite

I don't think AOPA has too many friends in the RAA management either. However all the headbanging between the 2 groups is trivial and self serving. Especially considering a lot of RAA members are also GA pilots and many (like me) are also AOPA members. The abrasiveness between sections of these organisations is uncalled for and I suspect, fostered by the strident and justified criticism of CASA by AOPA (all be it undiplomatic). No way will RAA be biting the hand that feeds it. Sorry if I am stating the obvious.

• Agree 1

Heavens, "undiplomatic", I think I'll faint.

RAAus is CASA's bitch, doing their bidding while screwing the membership for money. AOPA has legitimate grievances. CASA has said there was medical reform for private pilots. There was no effective medical reform. CASA lied. Again.

We now have the ridiculous situation where you can build an under 600Kg Experimental Amateur built VH registered aircraft and need a Basic med or Class 2 (exactly the same medical standard)  to fly and yet if RAAus registered you don't. This is because CASA is too bone idle to regulate properly and wants to shove its responsibilities and work on to private people. So in exchange for protection money to RAAus you get to be exempt from a requirement that CASA considers essential if the aircraft has letters on the side. You can decide if this is corruption or not.

Nowadays there is no reason for RAAus to exist. It no longer deals exclusively with rag and tube ultralights and the vast majority of the aircraft are, rightfully considered, GA aircraft.

• Agree 7

it is not going to change as long as CASA exist

That is the harsh reality, but it's deeper than CASA. Our whole govt works like CASA.

How do they achieve this.? Can't imagine that people just go out and DYO formation?  Aerobatics? - wasn't aware this was ok in LSA in the US?  Good luck to them learning under a DYO system. 

Well, they start by telling you to do it out away from the public and without passengers, so the only person likely to be harmed is the pilot. Smart people will always go and get some training, I don't know anyone that would go out and do stuff they know could kill them. In any case, it seems to work, the stats are no different to here.

Australians have been conditioned from birth to believe that they can't do anything without some sort of approval.

• Agree 3

Smart people will always go and get some training, I don't know anyone that would go out and do stuff they know could kill them. In any case, it seems to work, the stats are no different to here.

Australians have been conditioned from birth to believe that they can't do anything without some sort of approval.

USA rules have been fairly stable for many years. UK (although EASA changing that but Brexit will fix it) also does not require training in aerobatics and has no aerobatic endorsement etc. Guess what their minimum height for aerobatics is?

Indeed, accidents stats for those activities are similar to here.

• Like 1

If you train yourself you have a fool student with a fool instructor. Can the blind lead the blind.? By definition I think NOT. It's not a matter of having an approval or an annotation in your log book. It's a matter of knowing what you are doing when you commit aviation in an aeroplane. Plenty prove that the TICK against a sequence  doesn't mean you know much at all..  Nev

• Agree 1

If you train yourself you have a fool student with a fool instructor. Can the blind lead the blind.? By definition I think NOT. 

Nev that is a bit insulting to one who taught themselves to fly, BTW I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS.

I think I knew more about stalling from reading, starting at very young age,  before flying the scout than many pilots flying today. Reading v someone telling is there a difference? 

20180223_142617.thumb.jpg.5e4b6cf723077420f97cfd376a6c9135.jpg

• Agree 2

Yes you didn't have any option in those days but really the plane(s) were basic and slow. It's NOT meant as an insult .I know people who  went  cross country  and would be somewhere and the rep of the AUF would say "How did you GET here? If you FLEW there you  automatically got  signed out. in a single seater

Regarding the reading etc Today there's a lot of rubbish about and I wouldn't like to fly after digesting and being reliant on some of it and hope to do a good job. There are some quite good sites but you have to be careful as to what you take notice of.. . Note I want Instructors to have done Unusual attitudes for their sake and yours. It's not enough to have a bit of an idea of what to do but have never been there when you are responsible for someone else's life and the training of him/her  for a long flying career. Nev

• Like 1

Heavens, "undiplomatic", I think I'll faint.

RAAus is CASA's bitch, doing their bidding while screwing the membership for money. AOPA has legitimate grievances. CASA has said there was medical reform for private pilots. There was no effective medical reform. CASA lied. Again.

We now have the ridiculous situation where you can build an under 600Kg Experimental Amateur built VH registered aircraft and need a Basic med or Class 2 (exactly the same medical standard)  to fly and yet if RAAus registered you don't. This is because CASA is too bone idle to regulate properly and wants to shove its responsibilities and work on to private people. So in exchange for protection money to RAAus you get to be exempt from a requirement that CASA considers essential if the aircraft has letters on the side. You can decide if this is corruption or not.

Nowadays there is no reason for RAAus to exist. It no longer deals exclusively with rag and tube ultralights and the vast majority of the aircraft are, rightfully considered, GA aircraft.

VH Registered CASA is taking the legal liability for the pilot med standard

RA Registered CASA is not

That would be the logical reason.

This just came out on email from RAA

With regard to the RAAus application for an increase in the maximum take-off weight of aircraft administered by RAAus, CASA advised RAAus in early 2019 that public consultation would commence in the third quarter of 2019. RAAus is pleased to announce that CASA has confirmed that public consultation on the proposed weight increase will commence by 31 August 2019.

RAAus has matured tremendously in recent years and by demonstrating to CASA our sound approach we have been able to create the framework to support greater freedoms for our members. 

During August RAAus will communicate with members about the proposed increase. We want to ensure all members are aware of what a weight increase will look like for RAAus. 

Stay tuned for more announcements over the coming weeks.

If you train yourself you have a fool student with a fool instructor. Can the blind lead the blind.? By definition I think NOT. It's not a matter of having an approval or an annotation in your log book. It's a matter of knowing what you are doing when you commit aviation in an aeroplane. Plenty prove that the TICK against a sequence  doesn't mean you know much at all..  Nev

I dunno about that. My rugrats have taught themselves to fly on the PC-based simulator to the point of being safe. They are 7 & 8 years old and have been able to do it for 18 months. I've had bugger-all input for the most part, but they crash it, reset it, get better, crash again, reset it and learn from their mistakes. You can teach yourself to fly, you can teach yourself to fly aerobatics, IFR. even precision and non-precision approaches if you want to hit the books, you do not necessarily need ol' mate beside you saying "do this here and the plane will do that". I taught myself the buttonology and processes to fly a GNSS approach with my GPS & EFIS, having never flown a minute IMC, because it's an emergency skill I might someday need, no instructor sitting there saying "press this".

• Winner 1

With regard to the RAAus application for an increase in the maximum take-off weight of aircraft administered by RAAus, CASA advised RAAus in early 2019 that public consultation would commence in the third quarter of 2019. RAAus is pleased to announce that CASA has confirmed that public consultation on the proposed weight increase will commence by 31 August 2019.

RAAus has matured tremendously in recent years and by demonstrating to CASA our sound approach we have been able to create the framework to support greater freedoms for our members. 

During August RAAus will communicate with members about the proposed increase. We want to ensure all members are aware of what a weight increase will look like for RAAus. 

I'm wondering if it's a bit of "grandstanding" before the election. Trying to make it look like those in power now are making things happen.

It really doesn't present anything much new or concrete.

I've heard all this "definately happening" 10 yrs ago.... 

• Like 1

Now CAsA have put out the "Consultation will start soon" rhetoric it kicks things off. But as I was once told by a manager..."Consultation is not negotiation", ie, CAsA don't have to take anything anyone says onboard when they draft the rules, or even if they draft new rules for +600kg. I'll wait and see, but am not going to hold my breath.

• Agree 1

With a weight increase IF it ever happens, there will be a medical requirement for sure. No way will CASA have GA with medicals and RAAus without flying the same aircraft types.

• Agree 1

With a weight increase IF it ever happens, there will be a medical requirement for sure. No way will CASA have GA with medicals and RAAus without flying the same aircraft types.

Why not? It happens now... Jabiru, RV3/4/9/12, probably a bunch more I can't recall...

Definitely can't agree with you there KR. re post# 93.  A sim is one thing the plane is another. A sim with full motion is a giant leap but again It's NOT a plane You can't freeze and reset a real plane. With a sim people who do a lot of sim flying,  become good at "playing the GAME" . They know when to tickle it and when to leave it alone. It doesn't bump around and lurch exactly as the real one does.

. You can't  really say Instructors are not  needed or the outcome is much the same if you teach yourself. The difference of pupil performance varies markedly with different instructors  so how much more potential for variation if you don't even have one. Bad ones aren't much help but skilled ones train you at the little essential extras that make you capable of flying  out of problems better, but also more importantly, avoiding problems that you  or even superpilot, might not be able to get out of if you let it go much further. . It's a bit of a case where you "don't know WHAT you don't know" . For instance as a plane accelerates on climb out or Go around in IMC the feel you get in your middle ear is that you are Pitching up and the ininformed would instinctively pole forward and could easily just fly into the ground. if not made aware of this effect.  Not everything is in books and not everything in books is correct or can be misunderstood, if there's no follow up assessment. Some misconceptions can lurk there uncorrected till one day under stress it kills you. .Nev

We’ve all seen CASAs public consultation before. 

Have your decision made beforehand. 

Put out a statement saying

“Have your say! But you must do it by tomorrow.”

then send it to as few people as possible and if possible send it to stakeholders whose position is likely to agree with your predetermined outcome.

then announce your decision stating you “consulted widely!”

• Agree 1

I know I seem to be a CASA basher and certainly at times I have and I dont pull back from any of what I have said. BUT there is at least one case where I must say I was surprised at the outcome. They put out for public discussion a determination for ADSB in all aircraft using NON TSO equipment. I put my 2 cents in to that discussion and I think from memory there were only 68 submissions. To my surprise they came back with the version that I wanted and agreed with. That was to have cheaper ADSB out equipment so it can be afforded by all aircraft. The stumbling block was Air Services from what I understand. I believe CASA have implimented this certainly in principle the problem is that no company as yet has provided this cheaper equipment.

So you never know I suppose it is just a matter of putting down in writing what you consider and then wait and see what comes out. I am hoping for a good outcome but we will see and it is all conjecture anyway at the moment so you have to be in it to win it so my 2 cents will be added to the discussion when it is opened